Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 08:41 AM

Sam, if you don't stop posting amazing fish pictures your are going to make me get out there... keep posting!

Congrats on all the great fish this spring. Jealous for sure but pleased to see it all. You are one of the bright spots on this forum.

Cheers!
Old 05-25-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Sam, if you don't stop posting amazing fish pictures your are going to make me get out there... keep posting!

Congrats on all the great fish this spring. Jealous for sure but pleased to see it all. You are one of the bright spots on this forum.

Cheers!

You should probably get out fishing. Just saying!

Thanks for the kind words. I like posting pics and getting others motivated to get out and chase some fish.

This was my fifth trip, with the four previous trips being each 10 hour days of solid fishing. I was running out of tomato juice required to wash the skunk smell off.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-20-2020, 06:35 PM

Default Frustration

Well, I’ve spent too many hours to count on this lake now. What do people use? I’ve tried spoons raps plugs spinners scuds leeches minnow patterns you name it. This lake is the bane of my existence now🤣
Old 07-20-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Obed is a funny lake. Imagine a deep channel of about 30 fow with long flats of about 6 fow. There is a section on the east end by the point that has deeper water, quite close to shore, but that's it.

Used to have no perch, and was stocked with rainbows and brookies, until it became a Brown Trout project, likely because of the perch.

Brookies never did reproduce naturally, even though there was some rock and gravel on the east end. A Real pity.

If the reset was hard enough, and the perch are gone, perhaps wait a year and restock with some brookies, rainbows and tigers?

The Browns were hard to catch at the best of times.

Drewski
Whats a fow?
Old 07-20-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
Whats a fow?
Feet of water

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachman View Post
A few years ago the lake had brookies and brown at the same time. I also caught a splake in there about the same time. The biologist figured that was an accident at the hatchery.
A,.Splake! Wow, that is amazing. I wish we had some Lakes with Splake. Probably would need some lakes with deeper water. I've caught them before in Saskatchewan and I think they are my fav trout to eat.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendmethem View Post
I recently fished Obed Lake for the first time. Was disappointed to see four large browns (5-8lbs) dead at the bottom near a popular fishing spot. I know recently guys are posting several photos of nice browns from here. Does this lake winter kill or are these most likely the result of handling mortality?
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's handling mortality. So many people are insistent on taking selfies with every single fish they catch. Then they use terrible handling techniques like sticking their fingers under the gill plate , lipping them or squeezing them like a nearly empty tube of toothpaste. Just because it's alive when you release it doesn't mean it won't be dead soon after you've manhandled the living hell out of it.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:23 PM

Delete - unintentional multiple post

Last edited by Dielbo; 07-21-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:26 PM

Delete - unintentional multiple post
Old 07-22-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielbo View Post
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's handling mortality. So many people are insistent on taking selfies with every single fish they catch. Then they use terrible handling techniques like sticking their fingers under the gill plate , lipping them or squeezing them like a nearly empty tube of toothpaste. Just because it's alive when you release it doesn't mean it won't be dead soon after you've manhandled the living hell out of it.
As I said earlier this happens every year and i hvae seen it right back to the 70s.
There is some winter kill in that lake plus their is a disease there that some fish die from.

Tags
brown trout, catch and release, handling, obed