Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-05-2020, 07:52 AM

Default Newbie question on waders/boots

I want to get some chest waders and boots, $600 budget for both. Does it matter what order I buy them in or is it best to buy them together?

Just getting into the sport but not looking for crap or top of the line, just something that will be reliable for a number of years.

I anticipate only using them 8 - 15 times per season for the next few seasons.

Wanting to spend between $300-$400 on just waders and around $200 on boots. Or do you spend more on boots and less on waders?

Any suggestion for brands in the price range or features that are handy? Girlfriend lives in Calgary so will probably shop there.

From what I have read, Simms and Patagonia seem to be a good brands, just not sure if their low or mid range are good or if their is better value in Cabela's and Redding models - no idea how they stack up?
Old 05-05-2020, 09:23 AM

For me it's the boots that are more important. I've had cheaper boots and they got destroyed pretty quickly whereas my first set of medium range waders lasted through two sets of boots. My usage was probably 20-30 times a year.

I now have Simms waders but they were close to top of the line and I love them. I still have never found a perfect boot though. Either the soles were great but the tops were not, or vice versa.

Currently using a pair of rubber studded LL Bean BOA boots and they are good tops and average soles. Had better grips with Guidelines but the tops got destroyed quickly.

Obviously boots are going to be unique to the situation you plan to fish in, ie boats, bow river, freestone streams, etc.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:16 AM

I'd aim for better boots too, but you're budget should be more than enough to get quality products on both ends.
Keep in mind where you'll be fishing, are you hiking into most places? Trying new waters? Mid-summer? I bought a nice set of simms (waders and boots) and tbh I'm 90+% of the time fishing in my keens and shorts
Old 05-05-2020, 10:32 AM

Get the best waders and boots you can afford! All waders will leak eventually (FYI, holes in Goretex are easier to repair). Yes Simms and Patagonia are the top brands. Simms has their Headwater model that are a bit more economical. Patagonia is changing their models so have their previous model on sale at most shops (sizing most likely limited). They also have the best warranty!! There are other decent brands, Orvis, Redington, Hodgeman.

Also note that many jurisdictions only allow rubber soled boots (eg Montana and Parks Canada). That being said, in my opinion, rubber sole should always be paired up with studs unless you are fishing in someone's boat. No matter what anyone says, rubber is slippery!! I have a dedicated felt pair for the Bow, exclusively. I use rubber (with studs) when I fish small streams and in Banff/Montana, etc. Korker (and Hodgeman) have boots with interchangeable soles. I had one of the first gens of the Korker guide boot. I still have them as a set for my clients. In my option, they aren't as good, plus they changed the sizing (just my opinion), others feel they are still good value...

-Confucius
Old 05-05-2020, 11:21 AM

you will get lots of different answers, cause it depends, on what type of fishing your doing,
Boots are far more important if walking lots, if standing in a lake, swing a fly in a river mouth, likely more waders,
Ive got Simms, mid grade waders, and higher end Orvis boots here in fort Mac, if you wish to try on and work out sizes, 11 for boot size.
best to buy both at the same time and try them on, as waders boot sizes, don't always match with regular sizes.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:30 AM

I absolutely recommend the simms headwaters boots. Going on season 3 with mine and they have held up great. No rips, no splits, very little signs of wear. I've had to replace the laces once each season but no biggie. I've easily put in 100-150 outings in them as I also wear them with neoprene socks when I wet wade in the summer. It seems the local Calgary fly shops often have sales on boots too, so you might be able to get them cheap when the updated boot comes in (probably just a different color). Also, I have no issue with the Vibram soles in any conditions.

I also have simms freestone waders. They're my first "quality" wader so I don't have much to compare them to, but they got pin hole leaks early in season 2. Going on season 3 now, I fixed the leaks and they're in great shape still otherwise. I wet wade most of the summer so the waders have only seen about half as many days as the boots. I fish lots and abuse my gear pretty hard but wasn't expecting them to have any leaks after 1 good season (probably 50 days in them). But to compare, I used to buy cheap waders and every single pair had a catastrophic failure by the end of one season . I like the simms freestone, but will probably get a better Simms model when these kick the bucket.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:42 PM

In just over 40 years of wading streams, I can say that I've gone through WAY more boots than waders. Waders can be patched....boots, when they're done they're done.
Typically boots last me 3 to 4 seasons, that being about 30 to 40 days on the streams per season.
I've tried everything from a cheapo boots to a high end leather Thomas and Thomas...not much difference in terms of longevity.
Best pair for the price?...Abrams....but hard to source locally anymore.

Comments regarding felt sole use in Parks are correct...that said, felt grips the best and I only use non felt in the parks.

Waders?....$800 for a pair of Simms?...ridiculous!
Old 05-06-2020, 07:13 AM

I have only fished a few times. I think most of my fishing will be smaller streams to rivers. I anticipate short walks or hiking in to a most places. Don't think I will be doing much boat fishing.

Seems like rubber soles with cleats may be the ticket to start with.

Anyone have any experience with Redington or Hodgman waders? They seem to be a decent price. Or try to find Simms or Patagonian on sale?

Going to call a few shops tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:23 AM

Late to the convo, so you might have already made up your mind.
My opinion, focus more on the boots than the waders. I second most others comments about the importance of boots.
Also, take a serious look at the majority of places you will be fishing. Most places in Alberta don’t need chest waders. I do 95% of my fishing in quality boots, wading socks, and shorts. The other 5% is waders while in my float tube.
I feel chest waders are just part of the fly fishing uniform and people are compelled to buy them to look the part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2020, 08:02 AM

Sorry, meant ‘some’ people are compelled.
If they are applicable to the areas you fish, then they are useful and needed.
I have just seen too many times (in person and videos) where people are wearing full chest waders for shin deep waters.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.seaward View Post
Late to the convo, so you might have already made up your mind.
My opinion, focus more on the boots than the waders. I second most others comments about the importance of boots.
Also, take a serious look at the majority of places you will be fishing. Most places in Alberta don’t need chest waders. I do 95% of my fishing in quality boots, wading socks, and shorts. The other 5% is waders while in my float tube.
I feel chest waders are just part of the fly fishing uniform and people are compelled to buy them to look the part.

I haven't decided on anything yet. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:27 AM

for 40 years its been

old running shoes

shorts

wet wade

Unless you're fishing Nov-April

I don't see the point to waders from june through to sept.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 05-25-2020, 07:05 AM

I was in Edmonton over the weekend. Picked up a pair of Simms G3 wading boots. Wasn’t planning on spending this much but a much better fit/feel then the cheaper model. Picked them up at Reid’s Fly Shop, great service.

On another note. Tried on Simms Freestone Waders($375) Simms G3 waders ($675). Both fit well. But Patogonia has Rio Gallegos on sale now for $329. ( reg $659). How would theses three models compare? Wasn’t able to try on the Patagonia’s in Edmonton.