Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2020, 01:46 PM

Default Advice for newbie?

First season fishing this year. I've mainly been hitting Glenmore Reservoir and the Bow River just outside of Calgary. My first day out, I caught a big brown trout on a Yellow Red spoon at the Glenmore Reservoir. Since then, nothing. I think I've gone somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-50 hours without even as much as a bite. For better perspective, I think I've had 10 outings, and only caught a single fish.

I've tried using spoons, spinners, crankbaits, jigging, float/bait, swimbaits, and everything in between. I've fished in the morning, evening, during rain, shine, different spots...not a bite. Looked up many various videos on Youtube to learn proper technique and methods, but I'm getting no action. There was even one day on the Bow River where the DNR officer who checked my license was giving me tips and said I had the right spot, right gear, and I could even see fish jumping where I was casting...nothing.

Hoping someone can offer advice and perhaps point me in the right direction. Mainly looking to fish for trout and pike. Has anyone else experienced a dry streak like this?
Old 05-23-2020, 10:54 PM

Sounds familiar. I took up fishing again last summer after almost 10 years off from mostly fishing the mountains. I live in south calgary and focused on the bow in fish creek areas. I went 3 weeks with out a bite before catching my first fish. Since then I fish 2 to 3 times a week (including most of the winter) and rarely see no action. I target mostly larger fish now and caught many 20+inch trout from the bow.

Biggest difference from now and then is experience. Every cast is done with intention. Where I cast, what water I want to retrieve through, fast, slow, deep, shallow. If one of those aren't working switch it up. I used to fish all day the same way with same lure, now if no action for 20-40 min I switch spot or lure. If you are confident you are on the fish you need to figure out what works and stop doing what doesn't.

Only gear recommendation I will make is don't use too heavy a line. In the bow 6-8lbs is the norm.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:08 PM

Lol...oh my friend...gonna throw ya a little bit of wisdom. You took up "Fishing"...not "Catching" and that is how it goes! I have been fishing continously across Canada, fresh and Salt water for a solid 42 years. Yes it happens! Good thing is you did have success at least once. So well done there. Secondly, I use to live in Calgary and fished Glenmore Res A Lot! Sure that was many years ago...but I'm sure some things hold true. For trout a #2 Red and White Mepps Comet with a white Hackle worked really well for me. Also just a minnow on a bottom rig was great for pike, burbs, and a scattered Rainbow as well. Shore fishing around the sailing club worked really well just walk and cast, walk and cast...I bottom fished to the left of the sailing off the rock piles produced burbs and pike at around sun down really nice. Also Edworthy Park as some good spots and lots of ac ess to the river. Same deal, just hit the river and cast and walk, look for inlets, back Eddie's behind rocks and points, deep holes what ever...if it looks interesting, cast a mepps in there and see what is hanging out. I did hook and land a 20lb pike in that parl once....scared the crap out of me! I could go on and on, but thats a start...also the Mepps black comet is a good choice and tip the trebble with a minnow...So keep it up, mix up you presentations, and enjoy!
Old 05-24-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Lol...oh my friend...gonna throw ya a little bit of wisdom. You took up "Fishing"...not "Catching" and that is how it goes! I have been fishing continously across Canada, fresh and Salt water for a solid 42 years. Yes it happens! Good thing is you did have success at least once. So well done there. Secondly, I use to live in Calgary and fished Glenmore Res A Lot! Sure that was many years ago...but I'm sure some things hold true. For trout a #2 Red and White Mepps Comet with a white Hackle worked really well for me. Also just a minnow on a bottom rig was great for pike, burbs, and a scattered Rainbow as well. Shore fishing around the sailing club worked really well just walk and cast, walk and cast...I bottom fished to the left of the sailing off the rock piles produced burbs and pike at around sun down really nice. Also Edworthy Park as some good spots and lots of ac ess to the river. Same deal, just hit the river and cast and walk, look for inlets, back Eddie's behind rocks and points, deep holes what ever...if it looks interesting, cast a mepps in there and see what is hanging out. I did hook and land a 20lb pike in that parl once....scared the crap out of me! I could go on and on, but thats a start...also the Mepps black comet is a good choice and tip the trebble with a minnow...So keep it up, mix up you presentations, and enjoy!
just make sure you arent using minnows in the Bow above Bassano its a nice fat ticket

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-24-2020, 08:06 PM

Where you place your lure and how you work it can make a big difference.

Random fan casting works but if you pick the water apart with purpose it makes a difference. With rivers learning to read the water makes a big difference. Structure that creates currant breaks, eddies, troughs, under cut banks, log jams and creek/river mouths are somethings to look for.

If things are not working adjust the speed of your retrieve, apply different action, and run different depths. Switch things up If your not getting results