Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-16-2013, 12:56 PM

Default Archery Sheep

Well since my knee is all healed up, it's time to hit the mountains again for a bighorn!!! My Stone from BC is getting lonely on the wall all by himself. This being my first year hunting sheep in Alberta I'm a little overwhelmed with the amount of areas there is to hunt. I think I have it narrowed down to Kananaskis, but very open to suggestions. I'm looking to do a 10 day, backpack archery hunt. Not looking for secret spots (not that there are any), but if anyone wants to share experiences in different areas with archery, please chime in or PM me.

Cheers,

Doc
Old 06-16-2013, 01:41 PM

There's some great areas in 410. Being the bowzone, you automatically elimate the firearm competition. .... pm me if you want some more options.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
There's some great areas in 410. Being the bowzone, you automatically elimate the firearm competition. .... pm me if you want some more options.
I was reviewing the regs (2012) and I am just looking for clarification on 410 for archery. The way I read the regs its non-draw for sheep from S5 - O31 and on a draw for ■ S8 - N30 - is that a typo? should it be just a draw for Archer during the month of November?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2013, 11:36 AM

Not a typo.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 PM

ok - then why do the draw and non-draw dates for archery overlap, is there specific areas within 410 that on on draw only? Am I missing something from the regs?
Old 06-25-2013, 03:26 PM

Generally speaking, the draw tag is at its premium in November when the sheep go into the rut and you have a better chance at a legal ram. Also, the rams may be pushed down to lower elevations once the snow really starts flying (hope for snow and cold weather).
Old 06-25-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack88 View Post
Generally speaking, the draw tag is at its premium in November when the sheep go into the rut and you have a better chance at a legal ram. Also, the rams may be pushed down to lower elevations once the snow really starts flying (hope for snow and cold weather).
I totally understand that and hence my question of the special draw date and general tag dates overlapping. That is why I figured it was a typo and the special draw was for the november rut.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:24 PM

With the general tag you can only hunt until the end of oct. the draw tags u can hunt general season, and through November as I have always understood it, good luck this fall!