Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-30-2018, 01:56 AM

Default New bow hunter few questions.

Hello all

I am looking for a few pointers that will help my chances in getting a deer in my freezer general WT or Mule. Not looking for a trophy just want to get my first kill. I went riffle hunting opening day just west of white court WMU 349 no sightings of live animals but some tracks and scat. This got the fire started in me so I picked up a beginner compound bow and the basics.

I feel I am too late to be driving and asking for permission for this year so I am going to stick to the ACA sites. I work a lot of afternoons shifts so looking for some where I can get out for a morning hunt and back him to Edmonton for around 12-1. Some of the options I seen are
-golden ranches cooking lake
-grieve aca NE of westlock
-letourneau south of Stoney plain

Or any other areas that I can walk around and have my chances
Old 10-30-2018, 05:54 AM

Default Hmmmm....

I’m afraid you are about to get all kinds of feedback on this one... brace yourself.

Il just say this- Welcome to the sport, it’s one that requires commitment and dedication, and all kinds of patience that you can’t begin to fathom.

If you just picked up a compound bow and intend on shooting a deer this year- I don’t have any advice for you other than to suggest you drop that idea entirely. Us archers that hunt with our bows spend months - years practicing and even then things sometimes go wrong. Buying a bow and going and trying to kill a deer with it without ample amounts of practice- I can’t support that.

As for where you will find deer, anywhere you have legal rights to hunt, and proper permission- that’s where you will find deer to harvest. Your questions about those ACA sites are far too broad.

I hope this was a sugar coated version of what some others may have to say to you. We welcome everyone to the lifestyle and sport with is being an outdoorsman/outdoorswoman and enjoying all the facets of shooting- targets and live game. But you may he misguided in what levels of commitment that requires.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2018, 05:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Never too late to start, good luck eh!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-30-2018, 06:21 AM

I put in a fair amount of time last year and this year trying to connect with the bow without much success. Got in range on a stalk once but got busted on the draw, a few times had deer on the wrong side of the fence. Last Friday I picked up a Montana decoy and used it yesterday. Set up near a scrape and had a doe down within two hours. Will definitely be using it again.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
I’m afraid you are about to get all kinds of feedback on this one... brace yourself.

Il just say this- Welcome to the sport, it’s one that requires commitment and dedication, and all kinds of patience that you can’t begin to fathom.

If you just picked up a compound bow and intend on shooting a deer this year- I don’t have any advice for you other than to suggest you drop that idea entirely. Us archers that hunt with our bows spend months - years practicing and even then things sometimes go wrong. Buying a bow and going and trying to kill a deer with it without ample amounts of practice- I can’t support that.

As for where you will find deer, anywhere you have legal rights to hunt, and proper permission- that’s where you will find deer to harvest. Your questions about those ACA sites are far too broad.

I hope this was a sugar coated version of what some others may have to say to you. We welcome everyone to the lifestyle and sport with is being an outdoorsman/outdoorswoman and enjoying all the facets of shooting- targets and live game. But you may he misguided in what levels of commitment that requires.

Good luck!
Oh yeah I’m not living in a fairy land that I will be getting something this year or even next at that, I know it’s going to take time and homework finding the signs. Just asking about those sites so I’m not driving to a place that when I get there it’s not acessable or known that there isn’t any thing there at all
Old 10-30-2018, 09:53 AM

I was in your position last summer. I really wanted to try hunting a deer with my bow. I went and got an entry level Bear bow, practiced daily and went hunting as much as possible. Last season if you count morning and evening separately, I went around 80 times! It was awesome but I didn't have one decent opportunity at a buck out of all those times.

Last winter and this spring and summer I practiced daily or weekly. I upgraded my bow, bought a bow press and learned everything from tying in peep sites and D-loops to paper tuning bows. This summer, we started early with cameras and getting blinds/stands up well before the season started.

This fall I was fortunate to harvest one of my target WT bucks and also took my son out east and was also able to connect with a Muley buck. Best season ever. Getting an animal with your bow is so much more rewarding then a gun. I will still hunt with a gun when necessary but I will forever be a bow hunter now. aside from finding the right area to hunt, here are the 5 best tips I can give you:

1) Practice as much as possible. At all distances.

2) Learn everything you can about archery, so you don't have to rely on anyone else. YouTube is your friend.

3) Setup cameras EARLY and learn what the deer are doing for patterns.

4) Be quiet. Really really quiet.

5) Be patient. It will take a long time to get your first archery animal. But it will be worth it.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:56 AM

The areas you mentioned are OK but heavily used. Take time over the winter & spring to try and find private land. Knock, drive, knock, drive, knock, drive, etc...
Old 10-30-2018, 11:03 AM

How long have you been shooting a bow?

How many hours of practice do you put in on a weekly basis?

How many big game animals have you taken?

Just trying to establish a baseline.

LC
Old 10-30-2018, 12:27 PM

Wish I could be the first to actually answer your question, but I am not familiar with those properties.

As you are new to hunting, just pick a spot and get out there. The experience of field time is invaluable to advancing your skills as a hunter. As should be your mantra for life, don't shoot unless confident in making a clean kill.

Best wishes to you, have fun bowhunting This year....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-30-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I was in your position last summer. I really wanted to try hunting a deer with my bow. I went and got an entry level Bear bow, practiced daily and went hunting as much as possible. Last season if you count morning and evening separately, I went around 80 times! It was awesome but I didn't have one decent opportunity at a buck out of all those times.

Last winter and this spring and summer I practiced daily or weekly. I upgraded my bow, bought a bow press and learned everything from tying in peep sites and D-loops to paper tuning bows. This summer, we started early with cameras and getting blinds/stands up well before the season started.

This fall I was fortunate to harvest one of my target WT bucks and also took my son out east and was also able to connect with a Muley buck. Best season ever. Getting an animal with your bow is so much more rewarding then a gun. I will still hunt with a gun when necessary but I will forever be a bow hunter now. aside from finding the right area to hunt, here are the 5 best tips I can give you:

1) Practice as much as possible. At all distances.

2) Learn everything you can about archery, so you don't have to rely on anyone else. YouTube is your friend.

3) Setup cameras EARLY and learn what the deer are doing for patterns.

4) Be quiet. Really really quiet.

5) Be patient. It will take a long time to get your first archery animal. But it will be worth it.

Perfectly said. Congrats on your success this season with your son!

BG
Old 10-30-2018, 02:03 PM

I have been bow hunting for a few years. Had some good success so far. I got my buddy into it as well. He had never hunted with bow or rifle in his life, but I talked him into it and last year he bought a bow and practiced for a week in his backyard shooting targets. On his first trip with me, he shot a nice WT. Then a few weeks later her shot another WT. Both deer didnt run more than 20 yards before they were down and out. So I cant agree that you should practice for months or years before going out hunting.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:30 PM

The first thing I want to say. Is practice is all about being able to shoot farther. When you first start you might have to get within 10-20 yards of a deer if you want to harvest it. The most important thing for you as a beginner is to get the basics right. You should take a lesson or two to ensure you have proper positioning. As its hard to break bad habits once they're formed.

Also make sure you practice sitting, and kneeling. If you're in a stand, or walking most likely you will be in one of these positions if you want to harvest a deer. A good rule of thumb is you should be practicing at double the distance you want to hunt at. So if you plan on hunting at 40 yards, you should have good consistent groups at 80. Its not hard to get good consistent groups at 40 yards with practice, which is why I think a realistic expectation for you this year would be to hunt at 20 yards.

As for the hunting itself. Id recommend you stay away from most of the conservation sites. Very hard hunting with lots of pressure from other hunters. If you can get access to private land, where you can set up a tree stand you have a much higher chance of success. If not then just pick whatever site you want. The big thing is knowing the terrain and how the deer use it. I look for natural funnels on a transition area from aspen forest to farm land. If you can find that I can pretty well guarantee you'll see deer. Once you find the area the big thing is to be quiet and not move. Having a facemask/balaclava, and something behind you so they can't make out your outline immediately will also help.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 10-30-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwolf View Post
I have been bow hunting for a few years. Had some good success so far. I got my buddy into it as well. He had never hunted with bow or rifle in his life, but I talked him into it and last year he bought a bow and practiced for a week in his backyard shooting targets. On his first trip with me, he shot a nice WT. Then a few weeks later her shot another WT. Both deer didnt run more than 20 yards before they were down and out. So I cant agree that you should practice for months or years before going out hunting.
It’s not being said that someone who has never shot a bow or gun before can’t go out and shoot an animal with little to no practice. Like I mean, hunting is still more parts luck than anything else. But I don’t think you will find many seasoned ethical bow hunters who would recommend the above scenario to a beginner.

I think the odds of being struck by lightning while being eaten by a shark are better than winning the lottery. But it happens. And I’m sure the odds of shooting a deer the same day you pick up your first bow are even better than the previous scenarios. But let’s just say for arguments sake- swimming in an ocean during a thunderstorm is probably about as good of an idea as going bow hunting with little to no practice. But hey, To each their own.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
How long have you been shooting a bow?

How many hours of practice do you put in on a weekly basis?

How many big game animals have you taken?

Just trying to establish a baseline.

LC
I am brand new I had a compound bow when I was 12 just for targets that’s was 20 years ago. So I’m looking to divide my time from going to the archery rand and just outings out doors even if I can’t find big game trying my luck with ground birds
Old 10-30-2018, 09:08 PM

Good luck. I’m sure you will do fine. Good shooting lanes and be patient
Old 10-31-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado_knight View Post
I am brand new I had a compound bow when I was 12 just for targets that’s was 20 years ago. So I’m looking to divide my time from going to the archery rand and just outings out doors even if I can’t find big game trying my luck with ground birds
Best advice is to not even attempt shooting big game this year with a bow. You can get out do some scouting and if a chance at a grouse presents itself take it. I would concentrate on shooting and learning your bow, it will take time plain and simple. Archery is not for those who don't have patients and self restrain. We are starting into indoor 3d pretty soon, I would attend as many shoots as you can, there are weekly shoots at jumbos and various clubs hold shoots throughout the winter months. These will give you some practice and fun, the outdoor shoots is where I find the most help comes. Attend as many as you can they are fun and you will learn a ton. By this time if you are shooting frequently you shoot be in a better state to start bow hunting, you can then apply your learnings to next season and be confident in your abilities. ***Also remember that it is getting cold out, even the most season archer will tell you that it takes it toll on you and pulling that bow gets harder, holding that shot gets harder. It just gets more difficult especially to those that aren't in bow hunting shape.*** Good luck and hope to see you at some shoots.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholik View Post
Best advice is to not even attempt shooting big game this year with a bow. You can get out do some scouting and if a chance at a grouse presents itself take it. I would concentrate on shooting and learning your bow, it will take time plain and simple. Archery is not for those who don't have patients and self restrain. We are starting into indoor 3d pretty soon, I would attend as many shoots as you can, there are weekly shoots at jumbos and various clubs hold shoots throughout the winter months. These will give you some practice and fun, the outdoor shoots is where I find the most help comes. Attend as many as you can they are fun and you will learn a ton. By this time if you are shooting frequently you shoot be in a better state to start bow hunting, you can then apply your learnings to next season and be confident in your abilities. ***Also remember that it is getting cold out, even the most season archer will tell you that it takes it toll on you and pulling that bow gets harder, holding that shot gets harder. It just gets more difficult especially to those that aren't in bow hunting shape.*** Good luck and hope to see you at some shoots.

Cheers, Dave.
Thanks that’s the rout I will go. More time at the ranges and small game hunt and practice stalking and scouting. Maybe I will be ready for bear in the spring.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado_knight View Post
Thanks that’s the rout I will go. More time at the ranges and small game hunt and practice stalking and scouting. Maybe I will be ready for bear in the spring.
Dave’s advice is certainly on point.

Being out in the woods with your bow is an incredible thing, it’s unlike rifle hunting in so many ways. You will get out of it what you put in, and you’ll be much more proud of yourself and your results when it all starts coming together. I spent my first year practicing archery and took me until the end of the third season to successfully spot and stalk a deer. I had numerous blown or missed opportunities along the way, and looking back I wouldn’t change a thing. We don’t lose, we only learn.

Shooting gophers is one hell of a good time with a bow also! It’s usually not hard to get permission from farmers for that EAPECIALLY using archery tackle. And that can sometimes open the door for you to gain access to prime private land to hunt on where you may be the only hunter. Believe me, that’s where you want to be.