Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 10:03 AM

Default Fisher

Hey guys teach me what you know about Fisher in Alberta. One of the big reasons for me buying a line that gets me excited is fisher and lynx. I have done some looking on the internet about Fisher and lynx numbers in certain areas and I can not find much. I am trying to figure out what the Fisher and lynx numbers are like in in the Fox creek area. I hope that they are good but from some trappers I have talked with it seems like there are more Fisher and lynx more north towards the Peace area? Not sure about that but does anyone know of any studies or any idea how these populations are doing in the fox creek area?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:20 PM

In Alberta the lynx population cycle is roughly a 10 year cycle. The peaks in the past seem to fall out in the middle of the decade. (eg. 1925. 1935.)

This is an old chart indicating some stats.

Here is a link to a project going on right now in Alberta. An email to them could maybe tell you where the lynx are in their population cycle.

http://www.ualberta.ca/~gyates/projectlynx/index.html

As for fisher you could go back to the old records from your line to see how many were harvested in different years. If you have those records. ESRD F&W management(not the regular F&W offices) might have such stats on record too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-29-2014, 01:29 PM

We've been seeing a lot more Fisher in the last couple of years on our trail cams at our bear baits. Not in your area, we're northeast of Edmonton, but i would guess that it might translate across (about the same latitude).
Old 08-29-2014, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
In Alberta the lynx population cycle is roughly a 10 year cycle. The peaks in the past seem to fall out in the middle of the decade. (eg. 1925. 1935.)
According to that chart any year that ends with a 5 should be the peak year for lynx. This doesn't surprise me as I've seen a lot of rabbits this year and last.....more than usual. I think that this will be a good year for fellas trapping lynx.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Can't help with the trapping, but have had fisher and lynx come to the call.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-29-2014, 03:03 PM

The peak for Lynx seems to be past in our area, might be at peak further south. As for fisher they seem to be in good numbers,
As far as Lynx cycles, some areas will always have lynx, other areas will only have them at the best of times.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:16 PM

Not much help for you nube but I am north of red earth and my fisher numbers are definetly increasing
Old 08-29-2014, 03:32 PM

I've only caught 2 in 4 years. One in a lynx/fox set and one in a marten box !!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 08-29-2014, 09:58 PM

I don't target fisher at all Nube, but I do use all Sauvageau 2001-5 traps in my marten boxes. I pick up a few fisher every year like that and the odd one in lynx cubby sets.

My father and grand father used 160's for Fisher on their lines and picked up a couple every year. They also missed a few in their marten boxes with 120's. They would see a little blood or hair from them in the snow, or the tracks high tailing it away.

Lots of guys claim the 120's will kill them just fine, but I prefer something a little more stout.

I do seem to see more fisher tracks in the replanted pine areas that are 8-10 years old, and when the snow gets deep they seem to really use the ski-doo trails heavy.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I don't target fisher at all Nube, but I do use all Sauvageau 2001-5 traps in my marten boxes. I pick up a few fisher every year like that and the odd one in lynx cubby sets.

My father and grand father used 160's for Fisher on their lines and picked up a couple every year. They also missed a few in their marten boxes with 120's. They would see a little blood or hair from them in the snow, or the tracks high tailing it away.

Lots of guys claim the 120's will kill them just fine, but I prefer something a little more stout.

I do seem to see more fisher tracks in the replanted pine areas that are 8-10 years old, and when the snow gets deep they seem to really use the ski-doo trails heavy.
A belisle 120 is more than enough trap for a fisher I caught 18 in them last year I personally have never seen where a trap was fired and i missed a fisher, you will miss a lot of martens with a 160
Old 08-30-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
A belisle 120 is more than enough trap for a fisher I caught 18 in them last year I personally have never seen where a trap was fired and i missed a fisher, you will miss a lot of martens with a 160
Well there you have it, 120's work every time. With some of the bigger males I've caught I would have swore their heads wouldn't fit in a 120.

For the record I don't use 160's for marten at all, neither did dad or grandpa. That being said I do catch 3-4 marten a year in 330 cubby sets and I can't remember missing one yet like that, but I'm sure it does happen.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Well there you have it, 120's work every time. With some of the bigger males I've caught I would have swore their heads wouldn't fit in a 120.

For the record I don't use 160's for marten at all, neither did dad or grandpa. That being said I do catch 3-4 marten a year in 330 cubby sets and I can't remember missing one yet like that, but I'm sure it does happen.
Apparently you are such a great trapper no one else should comment and give there opinion, you can't remember missing marten in a 330 ??? Ok ... I have had to pry there heads out of 120's. How many do you catch in a year?
Old 08-30-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
According to that chart any year that ends with a 5 should be the peak year for lynx. This doesn't surprise me as I've seen a lot of rabbits this year and last.....more than usual. I think that this will be a good year for fellas trapping lynx.
The cycle is actually 9.6 years so over a few decades the "5th" year might not apply.

When the rabbit population cycle peaks, the lynx population will increase the following year.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-30-2014, 12:01 PM

I've been watching a guy on YouTube and his channel is called trapping world and I think he's by whitecourt and in his vids he has caught quite a few fisher and lynx. It's not real close to fox creek but in the general area. Interested to see how you do this year!
Old 08-30-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Apparently you are such a great trapper no one else should comment and give there opinion, you can't remember missing marten in a 330 ??? Ok ... I have had to pry there heads out of 120's. How many do you catch in a year?
I'm going to guess it's either that time of the month or you just woke up on the wrong side of the bead.

You said:

"A belisle 120 is more than enough trap for a fisher I caught 18 in them last year I personally have never seen where a trap was fired and i missed a fisher"

I wasn't disagreeing with you in my post, I was accepting the facts you stated. I don't use 120's and never have caught a fisher in one.

And no, not to my knowledge have I ever missed a marten in a 330. I have never seen tracks going in where the trap didn't fire and get him.

My fisher count is certainly lower then your as is my blood pressure, 4-6 a year would be my average.

Settle down MM, life's too short to be that wound up
Old 08-30-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I'm going to guess it's either that time of the month or you just woke up on the wrong side of the bead.

You said:

"A belisle 120 is more than enough trap for a fisher I caught 18 in them last year I personally have never seen where a trap was fired and i missed a fisher"

I wasn't disagreeing with you in my post, I was accepting the facts you stated. I don't use 120's and never have caught a fisher in one.

And no, not to my knowledge have I ever missed a marten in a 330. I have never seen tracks going in where the trap didn't fire and get him.

My fisher count is certainly lower then your as is my blood pressure, 4-6 a year would be my average.

Settle down MM, life's too short to be that wound up
I am pretty settled down there tork takes a lot more than a difference of opinion on an internet forum to get me excited if I come off that way I apologize wasn't my intention.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I am pretty settled down there tork takes a lot more than a difference of opinion on an internet forum to get me excited if I come off that way I apologize wasn't my intention.
Very good moose. I enjoy the fact that the trapping side of this forum is far more civilized then the hunting section and the petty bickering is almost non-existent. I do enjoy the sharing of information that flows freely here.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Very good moose. I enjoy the fact that the trapping side of this forum is far more civilized then the hunting section and the petty bickering is almost non-existent. I do enjoy the sharing of information that flows freely here.
I agree I like the info sharing as well always something to learn.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:15 AM

Hey I am really appreciative that this trapping side is more civilized than the other. I don't even go over there anymore. Just like with the girlfriend some times the text is not the best way to have a conversation. But I really enjoy the idea sharing and the tips pics and anything that is posted here. The great thing here is everyone kinda helps out and a guy can still have a debate and not try and destroy the other with childish name calling. Thanks to you guys for working things out regardless of the circumstances.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:42 AM

General section is talking about the big trapping section fight.....
Don't see why fox creek area would be shy on lynx or fisher, the country looks favourable for both.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:52 PM

Nube, Find the rabbits on the line and then you will find the fisher and lynx. There were some nice meadows along the Athabasca, south and west of your main cabins. If they are still there these were good spots and there was good areas along the Marsh Head that held cats and fisher.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
Nube, Find the rabbits on the line and then you will find the fisher and lynx. There were some nice meadows along the Athabasca, south and west of your main cabins. If they are still there these were good spots and there was good areas along the Marsh Head that held cats and fisher.
X2, find the willows along the river.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:02 PM

120's work for fisher, but, I can tell u this much, a big male looks huge in a 120!
A 160 or even a 220 would be more ideal for fisher imo. But since the main target is marten, we choose the setup that works best for them.
You could make some fisher only sets in areas where u know they are. If you have an elevated set make sure u use a big climbing log. That's my pennies worth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (98.8 KB, 76 views)
Old 09-01-2014, 03:32 PM

Fisher ...... Snare horizontal pole set, beaver carc in the middle, dab of lure, snare on each side. Preferably in deciduous stands as opposed to coniferous, lessens the incidental marten body/hind quarter catches.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
I don't get quite down to the Athabasca river but close. I think my line goes just on the south side of the ANC road.
I do have the Marsh head creek but more likely and the best is I plan to cut a trail and make a circle around the little smokey river. It has some steeper banks and some area that doesn't seem to be all torn up and logged out. I suspect I may even find a wolverine down in a few holes along it. I have hopes to find a few there and want to mount a big old male if I can get a 14 or 15 lber.
Thanks for the info guys. I am real curious to see what there is on that line. Hope I am not disappointed. Should be fun anyhow
Old 09-02-2014, 06:00 AM
Banned

I used to go along with my grandfather to check his traps in the 60's and did some trapping of my own in the 70's. Things have sure changed since then, and all I can add to this thread is that I look foreward to seeing your pics. of lynx, fisher and wolverine in the up-coming season. good-luck.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:30 AM

Default Fisher

Nube,

Your new area will have some Fisher, but mainly Marten. My advice, for what it is worth....

1-Use 220 bucket sets with bait anchored in "top" of pail on ground. This will get you Lynx, Fisher, the odd Marten, and maybe even Mr. Wolverine. Make sure your traps are very well secured, and tied off up high. Don't use the short square buckets, rather the long buckets. Test fire each set once to ensure trap "fly's" out of bucket.

2-Anywhere that you set a Wolf or Coyote bait on the line, also put a couple 120 or 160 boxes on running poles. Ensure they are quite high off of ground, Fishers are long, boxes at baits should require a stepping stool to deal with.

3-Your Marten sets will catch you Fisher, either 120 or 160 are fine. In your case I would go with 120's due to higher Marten numbers. A 160 will do some fur damage on a marten from time to time. Just make sure the animal will swing into open air when caught. Fishers are fighters, it is very important that they are choked as well once caught. I have had Fishers tare boxes right off trees when caught, so be sure they are anchored well.

4-Trap dense mixed bush for Fishers. The birchy/poplar areas with thick growth are the best. I rarely catch them in pines. Thicker, uglier the better. Don't be afraid to put sets right off main roads either, as I have found that Fishers will hunt roads just like Cats or Yotes. I got 4 in one set off a road in a thick low area last winter.

5-Use a Fisher scent, and BEAVER MEAT is the key for bait. I have found that feathers around sets can also be a good attractant.

Good luck!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:44 AM

That is some good advice there. Maybe I should have a few 330 lumber box traps set up and spread those out along the line. Might catch the odd lynx or fox that way as well.
Question on the Fisher lure. Is it really going to help much with Fisher lure over marten lure? Seems like it all stinks the same?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Question on the Fisher lure. Is it really going to help much with Fisher lure over marten lure? Seems like it all stinks the same?
IMO no. Fisher being a opportunistic predator/scavenger that will eat virtually anything; berries, birds, eggs, fish and of coarse meat will respond to most any lure in my experience. I do agree beaver is the best all around bait but they also respond well to moose, deer and fish.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:49 AM

Anyone got any more Fisher pics to put on here for us to enjoy?