Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 08:27 AM

Default Mountain Man

A pretty good book to read about Cody Tegart, a guide in in the Kootenay/Palliser valleys when big game was plentiful just West of the Kananaskis Lakes.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:55 AM

That looks interesting, Thanks
Old 02-18-2020, 12:31 PM
Banned

Where can someone get this book?
Old 02-18-2020, 12:54 PM

indigo books $24.95
Old 02-18-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWA View Post
Where can someone get this book?
Published in 2019, very recent book then. The one I just finished reading was borrowed from the Calgary Public Library. It is available at amazon.ca
Old 02-18-2020, 04:33 PM

Thumbs up Good read

Good read but just a young pup compared to Andy Russell here's a few to read about Andys career as a Sheep guide Grizzly Country, Horns in the High Country, Trails of a Wilderness Wanderer, Memoirs of a Mountain Man to name a few...... I was fortunate to be able to take Andy fly fishing a few times and will never forget the tales he told around the campfire......
Old 02-18-2020, 08:27 PM

Knew him since my teens. Passed due to stroke couple years ago.Everyone should see the Palliser at least once in their life.........Rest easy, old buddy!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-18-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
Good read but just a young pup compared to Andy Russell here's a few to read about Andys career as a Sheep guide Grizzly Country, Horns in the High Country, Trails of a Wilderness Wanderer, Memoirs of a Mountain Man to name a few...... I was fortunate to be able to take Andy fly fishing a few times and will never forget the tales he told around the campfire......
A different generation...Do you remember when Andy Russel was telling tales on the radio? I forgot which station... CFAC/ CBC?
Old 02-18-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvert View Post
A different generation...Do you remember when Andy Russel was telling tales on the radio? I forgot which station... CFAC/ CBC?
Actually had the privilege of a talk given by by Russel and had him autograph one of his books. Definitely a raconteur. Patterson's Buffalo Head gives a good description of that country as well.

Grizz
Old 02-18-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Knew him since my teens. Passed due to stroke couple years ago.Everyone should see the Palliser at least once in their life.........Rest easy, old buddy!
I also new Cody and many of the guys in the book as well as worked with some of them. Sadly the Palliser and surrounding country is not what it use to be.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:39 PM

Cody had hay fever really, really bad. An older mutual friend talked me into packing hay into Tipperary & Queen Mary my first trip out there.

Meet Cody @ Jim's place at Briscoe. Jim had a black bear in his apple tree 1/2 hr before we got there, shoots the bear with a .270. Bear runs down into the coulee behind the house about the time we pull into the yard.

Cody comes out of the house with a 357 revolver(Jim used the last 270 shell) heads off into the coulee after the bear. Cuss, cuss in that high-pitched voice, bang.....bang,bang,bang................bang. Got 'em. Now we go down help drag the SOB bear up out of the coulee.

That was my intro to the Cody.....

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-21-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Cody had hay fever really, really bad. An older mutual friend talked me into packing hay into Tipperary & Queen Mary my first trip out there.

Meet Cody @ Jim's place at Briscoe. Jim had a black bear in his apple tree 1/2 hr before we got there, shoots the bear with a .270. Bear runs down into the coulee behind the house about the time we pull into the yard.

Cody comes out of the house with a 357 revolver(Jim used the last 270 shell) heads off into the coulee after the bear. Cuss, cuss in that high-pitched voice, bang.....bang,bang,bang................bang. Got 'em. Now we go down help drag the SOB bear up out of the coulee.

That was my intro to the Cody.....
sounds like a cool guy . may have to get this book
Old 02-21-2020, 12:34 PM

just got he book in the mail today. going to be reading this weekend
Old 02-21-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvert View Post
I recall him on CFCW in the '70's. Loved listening to his yarns!. Good man, and great books, read everyone I could get my hands on. They're hard to find these days.

BW
Old 02-22-2020, 12:06 PM

Went to Tipperary with him and a big group as a kid for spreading of a relatives ashes up there. I was 10 or so but will never forget it. Used to live up the road from him. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-29-2020, 12:03 PM

Met Cody when he moved to my home town before his passing.Definnitely a "Mans Man"and is a pleasure to be able to say i knew him.Only downside was Cody loved to walk and as our farm borders town he asked for permission to hike and i have so many trail cam pics of him, was like he knew where to walk so i could keep track of him.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:27 PM

Just finished this today, great read and definetely gets one excited to get out there hunting in the mountains.

Sad to hear elk numbers in the Palliser area he use to guide are super low now (sounds like elk stay in main trench and don't migrate into mountains like they use to, was reading same about Ya Ha), hope the elk numbers in the backcountry can be healthy like they use to be sometime in future
Old 03-03-2020, 12:07 AM

Thanks for this, Ill have to check it out