Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2017, 09:49 PM

Default Fed up with rural break ins

Man, I'm fed up with rural break ins. Lately there's some loser driving around in a white regular cab dodge pickup and a white Nissan pickup. This Yahoo is driving through fences to scout his next job. We've phoned the RCMP, the local peace officers, the MD, contacted the local government, contacted the provincial government, and recently contacted the federal government. Personally, I think it's a form of terrorism. Nobody wants to leave their houses in fear of these SOB's hitting their place. We've tried to from a rural crime watch, but it has to be accepted by the council ??? I don't understand this. I understand they don't want vigilantes, but what's to stop a few neighbours from getting together? We're totally at a loss at what to do! And the local staff saergent at the RCMP detachment has made a public statement to not confront these individuals and let the RCMP do their job. We haven't seen a RCMP patrol in 4 yrs.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:07 PM

I guess that means they aren't doing their jobs then?? I guess that means they won't be around to save the bad guys when someone decides to take them out with a bazooka??
Old 01-05-2017, 10:14 PM
Banned

Very similar in our area. The RCMP make a cruise through town maybe once a week or every two weeks at about 3 in the afternoon (they are about 45 minutes away).....totally useless.

They came to give a "talk" to the town and suggested we all put up cameras, motion lights, make sure everything is locked. All good suggestions but by now almost everyone was doing that all already. I asked and what is the RCMP doing? How many patrols are you doing from midnight to 5am when about 99% of the crime is happening........the answer was none. I also suggested that patrols at 3 in the afternoon are completely useless.

Got the story about limited manpower, not set up for night shifts, blah blah blah. The whole "talk" was about what we should and should not be doing and about what they the cant do, not one thing about what they were going to do, what a complete waste of time their "talk" was.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:23 PM

These ..... have it all figured out.
If ur out, they will take ur stuff, if ur home they will say they are looking for... and ask for directions.
So what do u do ?

TBark

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-05-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:37 PM

Even when they do catch them it doesn't accomplish anything. Local fellow was hit a week ago, they caught a low life driving his truck in a town an hour away. Same fellow that stole a tractor from a dealership about 6 months ago. He is out on bail already.
Pretty useless system.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:49 PM

theres nothing to stop you and a few neighbours.....

just maybe dont speak of it on a public forum.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:50 AM
AO Sponsor

German Sheperds... video survailence and signs

Just don't let them become people's friends, they're your guard dogs and nothing but.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
If ur out, they will take ur stuff, if ur home they will say they are looking for... and ask for directions.
So what do u do ?

TBark
Tread lightly and carry a big stick...don't talk about it, deal with it...
Frustrating for sure.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-06-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I guess that means they aren't doing their jobs then?? I guess that means they won't be around to save the bad guys when someone decides to take them out with a bazooka??
Add to that that the judges and legal system aren't doing their jobs. Judges are supporting criminals terrorizing the public.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:39 AM

The RCMP, once a proud and effective force against crime, have become timid beauracrats who cower in their barracks, scarfing donuts. When called to a break-in, they purpously bide their time, as not to actually confront criminals. They make sure they show up conveniently late enough to "write up a report" and tell you what you should do to prevent a re-occurance. Then they have the nerve to tell us that they should have the power to decide what firearms we will be able to own. What they really want is no firearms at all, so no one can shoot them. The people have come to have no confidence in their police, and see them as just another waste of their tax dollars... criminals must be wringing their hands.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:46 AM

Had some guy coming around yesterday knocking on doors asking if people like seafood or steak. I missed him by about 10seconds by the time I got out of my basement. He must really be interested in selling some. Was waiting at my door for maybe 15seconds. I went out and confronted him. When he came down the walk from my neighbours house. I told him I have cameras on my house that have his face recorded. "If I need some seafood I'll find him" he just turned around and skipped then next house and carried on walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2017, 07:49 AM

There are reasons why provinces have their own police forces, being responsive to local taxpayers (and not Federal Politics) is one of the main reasons.

But there is nothing police or local councils or any level of government can really do about citizens being citizens and it's best not to tell or ask anyway. In my area myself and neighbors will follow, ask, and we don't share much more security information than that.

Keep in mind the police have their own agenda's that, in their mind, trumps your agenda of wanting a safe place to live. IME best to let them do what they want to do and hope nothing happens that requires them. Like a fire department, good to have around but best to not have any professional reason to call them, particularly in the middle of the night!

Which is a good reminder to change the batteries in your security devices.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
German Sheperds... video survailence and signs

Just don't let them become people's friends, they're your guard dogs and nothing but.
x2 on the German Shepards/Rottweilers.....

I have encountered many whilst approaching farm doors for hunting permission. There are many times where the dogs wont even let me get out of the truck. Some of them will let you get out but they have that "look in their eye", where you just know to get back in the truck. Shepards working in pairs are the worst.....I had one distract me while the other one snuck around the back and hamstring me. It was a terrifying experience. I don't even open the door if there are intimidating dogs in the yard anymore. I drive away and call.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Had some guy coming around yesterday knocking on doors asking if people like seafood or steak. I missed him by about 10seconds by the time I got out of my basement. He must really be interested in selling some. Was waiting at my door for maybe 15seconds. I went out and confronted him. When he came down the walk from my neighbours house. I told him I have cameras on my house that have his face recorded. "If I need some seafood I'll find him" he just turned around and skipped then next house and carried on walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought some halibut of this guy... it's fabulous
Old 01-06-2017, 10:35 AM

If the seafood guy was driving a white high top van, he has great product.

Terry
Old 01-06-2017, 10:37 AM
Gone Hunting

What part of Alberta?

Neighbourhood watch.

Pass the word. Take pics. post them on social media. shine the light on the cockroaches.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-06-2017, 10:42 AM

Would it be too obvious to have a fresh dug grave visible from the end of your driveway, a sign saying: 1 s done, 2 to go

Colin
Old 01-06-2017, 10:52 AM

Seems like the rural crime fest just keeps getting worse. The farmers I deal with for work are talking about it more and more. I read about it here more and more with farm folk and acreage owners.

I think a return to the wild west is coming with these thugs

Going to start seeing a few more accidents when the thugs are caught red handed. Really sucks that they have the advantage thanks to the legal system.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
So what do u do ?

TBark
Give direction to the back 40 and bring a shovel
Old 01-06-2017, 11:20 AM

keep the gate locked and when they jump over it let the chips fall where they lay
Old 01-06-2017, 11:26 AM

I had my side x side & trailer stolen out of my driveway just before xmas.
I can promise you if I catch someone in my yard doing any funny business I will be shooting them. End of story
Old 01-06-2017, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
I can promise you if I catch someone in my yard doing any funny business I will be shooting them. End of story
judge jury and executioner. look how efficient you are.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
You cant be serious. You would shoot someone over material items? You are aware that you may stop them from stealing your quad, but the next 10 years you do behind bars may get you behind on mortgage payments. If anyone want my stuff just ask. I will leave the house for a predetermined time frame. I will come home "surprised" and will call the police, then insurance buys me new stuff.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:38 AM

You would be amazed how a rottie or two trained to approach trespassers silently not making a sound untill flesh is in there mouth puts a end to rural thefts immediately.
Or so I heard
Old 01-06-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I must say not big on give my stuff away for free they need to be stopped
Old 01-06-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
.....with a real good DSLR camera, awesome zooms lens.

That part got deleted somehow, weird.

Fixed it for you.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:46 AM

All you re loaders should come up with a salt peter load Burn for a few days but non lethal. Probably make a mint selling them.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
You cant be serious. You would shoot someone over material items? You are aware that you may stop them from stealing your quad, but the next 10 years you do behind bars may get you behind on mortgage payments. If anyone want my stuff just ask. I will leave the house for a predetermined time frame. I will come home "surprised" and will call the police, then insurance buys me new stuff.
Than why dont you post your ****ing address so these idiots can come steal your stuff easily.
Because im done with it.
You bet I will shoot them, I have a beautiful 20g SxS with #2's ready to give them atleast two good reasons to never come back to my house.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Add to that that the judges and legal system aren't doing their jobs. Judges are supporting criminals terrorizing the public.
It's the Crown Prosecutors not doing their jobs.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Than why dont you post your ****ing address so these idiots can come steal your stuff easily.
Because im done with it.
You bet I will shoot them, I have a beautiful 20g SxS with #2's ready to give them atleast two good reasons to never come back to my house.
i think they refer to that as premeditated