Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2023, 12:08 PM

Default Washing Machine Recommenations

So, washing machine isn't even a year old and its already acting up. Had warranty out and of course the contract company that warranty uses has the absolutely worst reviews ever and it showed because nothing was fixed, twice now. I have had it with dealing with warranty and have learnt my lesson and will eat the cost and buy a new washing machine now. Just wondering what brands or models would be a good choice or would be recommended. thanks everyone.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:18 PM

What brand/model is it, and what's broken on it?

There's many things that are simple to fix yourself. Youtube and suppliers like Reliable Parts have helped many of us keep our machines ticking along.

Will never buy a Lucky Goldstar appliance again. The last range I had, they would not sell parts to Canadians. You had to get a repair service involved.

I think my next one will be a Miele. Heard good things about them.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:28 PM

Had a LG Tromm pair. Bought new in 2005. Never had a problem. We are in the process of redoing the house, the laundry room was next on the hit list.
Paint, new floor, new laundry sink, and the wife decided she wanted new washer and dryer as well. So I now have a new LG laundry tower. Sold the old set for big bucks as they were still in fantastic shape.
So far so good with the new tower. Too many features to mention here.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:18 PM

Huebsch top loader.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:24 PM

I would avoid Samsung like the plague. They have especially poor reviews for washing machines and ranges, in particular.

We bought an LG washer/dryer set a couple years ago after too many repairs on our Samsung set, which started just after the year warranty was up. Our LG washer is HE but top load, and we've been happy. The LG drum motor has a 10 year warranty. We ordered through Costco as they double the one year manufacturer's warranty.

As an aside. Our Samsung washer was part of a class action lawsuit in the US, but it didn't get that far in Canada for some reason (just Google 'Samsung Exploding Washing Machine'). Their fix was to send a technician out to do a service call, so we thought that would fix things. All the tech did was put a sticker on the wash select dial that said "do not wash duvets or water proof fabrics"
Old 02-07-2023, 02:37 PM

Huebsch with the traditional agitator or maytag commercial. Or you could look at commercial front loaders as well.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Huebsch with the traditional agitator or maytag commercial. Or you could look at commercial front loaders as well.
Bought a set of these about 1 year ago (top load)...wife loves them!...
Old 02-07-2023, 05:51 PM

Had bad luck with Samsung front loader. LG is going on 10 flawless years.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:50 PM

Same here on our LG pair. 11 years old and no issues. Both front load. Had a door seal go on the washer but was due to my kid washing sheets and having the corner stuck in the closed door. was quite a twisted knot by the time it ripped free, took out the seal. PITA but easy to change myself.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:15 PM

A question that should be asked is, what kind of water are you on?? Well water or city water. That might influence the answers. Well water is a lot harder on machines than town or city water. Well water also seems to cause sealing problems a lot faster.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:17 PM

Had both ours go within a week. Samsung top load at home and front load in the rental.

I replaced them with basic whirlpool top load models from Costco. Good reviews and warranty (not needed yet). Had good luck with all my other whirlpool appliances so far.

There’s iirc 3 factories that produce the internals for all the major residential brands (except Miele) so all you are paying for is fancy plastic and a name. We do a lot of laundry so I figure I’ll be replacing it in 5 years anyway.

Now that being said if I didn’t have to do both I would have invested in a commercial set.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:32 PM

I bought a matching LG set. I'm guessing the washing machine was about a months wait. And the dryer was maybe 2 months wait for delivery. So I guess first check what is actually available.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2023, 09:17 PM

Had a front load for 10 years and went with a top load with an agitator last year. Will not buy another top load again as it just doesn't get cloths as clean as the front one did. For normal clothing no difference but when you are washing out tough stains there is a big difference.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:58 PM

Bought a hubesch a few months ago.
It is reminiscent of the washing machines from 30 years ago that seemed to last...
My work clothes are noticeably cleaner than they were with the Samsung front load, or the maytag commercial top load with half assed agitator. (And I spend a lot of time and money fixing both of those.) I spent the extra bucks on the hubesch because I am tired of fixing washing machines, and I hope this is the answer to that.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
What brand/model is it, and what's broken on it?

There's many things that are simple to fix yourself. Youtube and suppliers like Reliable Parts have helped many of us keep our machines ticking along.

Will never buy a Lucky Goldstar appliance again. The last range I had, they would not sell parts to Canadians. You had to get a repair service involved.

I think my next one will be a Miele. Heard good things about them.
Ironic you noted Goldstar won’t sell parts then recommended Miele. Miele doesn’t sell repair parts, at least last time I tried. Loved the machine when it worked, thought it would last longer. Board would have cost close to what a new machine did. Had a bad luck run with dishwashers, built in 2009 & are on our 3rd.
Miele 1st: Was the quietest of the lot, with mild ambient noise it was hard to tell it was running
Electrolux 2nd
Kitchen Aid presently
Old 02-08-2023, 06:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

All I know is I was told 17 years ago when we bought our front end loading washing machine was to never use those pods. Liquid only and every two weeks run the self clean.
Apparently those those pods over time when tossed in in conjunction with the dirt and grime will build up as the pods don’t always breakdown as advertised.
This leads to failure.
Another one was don’t stuff the drum too.....must be working as mentioned that piece of advice was 17 years ago.
Ohhh there is also a door near the bottom to occasionally open and have access to a pipe, your supposed to open that up and clear out any possible build up but to date nothing has been found. (Preventative maintenance)

Ohhh make is a Kenmore.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 02-08-2023 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Ironic you noted Goldstar won’t sell parts then recommended Miele. Miele doesn’t sell repair parts, at least last time I tried. Loved the machine when it worked, thought it would last longer. Board would have cost close to what a new machine did. Had a bad luck run with dishwashers, built in 2009 & are on our 3rd.
Miele 1st: Was the quietest of the lot, with mild ambient noise it was hard to tell it was running
Electrolux 2nd
Kitchen Aid presently
Thanks, Caber. I didn't know that about Miele!
Old 02-11-2023, 07:18 PM

Pick your poison and live with it.

These recomendations remind me of Amazon reviews.

If your into the appliance for the long haul, pick a brand who has an excellent
supply chain for parts, serviceability and general DIY info.

Nothing lasts forever, especially these days.

I've never bought an extended warranty on anything.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
All I know is I was told 17 years ago when we bought our front end loading washing machine was to never use those pods. Liquid only and every two weeks run the self clean.
Apparently those those pods over time when tossed in in conjunction with the dirt and grime will build up as the pods don’t always breakdown as advertised.
This leads to failure.
Another one was don’t stuff the drum too.....must be working as mentioned that piece of advice was 17 years ago.
Ohhh there is also a door near the bottom to occasionally open and have access to a pipe, your supposed to open that up and clear out any possible build up but to date nothing has been found. (Preventative maintenance)

Ohhh make is a Kenmore.
Yep, those pods can certainly lead to a substantial decrease in the lifetime of certain components, never use them, and that should apply to dishwashers also.
The self cleaning features are there for a reason.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:10 PM

Samsung make junk appliances.

My next washer will be Miele
Old 02-12-2023, 05:53 AM

Have a Matag Preforma top load, bought in 2004, still chugging along, the matching dryer gave up the ghost a couple years ago but the washing machine is still going ( touch wood )

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Have a Matag Preforma top load, bought in 2004, still chugging along, the matching dryer gave up the ghost a couple years ago but the washing machine is still going ( touch wood )
I have this Maytag or similar model, Mine is from the 90's. No Issues, I'm thinking they where better quality back then.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:17 AM

You could look at Alliance laundry machines. I doubt they'll break down like the home appliances under home use.
Old 02-13-2023, 10:51 AM

Last machine I bought was determined by when I was selling the house. Went with the cheapest Amana. When I thought I was going to be keeping the house though, i asked a friend who owns a laundromat and is the chief fixer. I was going to go dexter commercial. He is impressed by toughness, and when it does break, ease of fixing.
Old 02-13-2023, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Bought a hubesch a few months ago.
It is reminiscent of the washing machines from 30 years ago that seemed to last...
My work clothes are noticeably cleaner than they were with the Samsung front load, or the maytag commercial top load with half assed agitator. (And I spend a lot of time and money fixing both of those.) I spent the extra bucks on the hubesch because I am tired of fixing washing machines, and I hope this is the answer to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
You could look at Alliance laundry machines. I doubt they'll break down like the home appliances under home use.
Same machine and are absolute beasts. Ain't cheap though.
Old 02-14-2023, 02:06 PM

Had a Whirlpool top load washer and dryer set that lasted well over 10 years. No major issues with either. Recently replaced them with an updated Whirlpool set.

Went back to the top load washer as the laundry room is basically a hallway between main front hallway and garage man door. Kept smacking the front load washer door with the garage man door, as the washer door was left open to dry the door seals out in an effort to reduce mold.

When we were looking for a new washer and dryer, more than one sales person told us to avoid Samsung at all cost.

Mr Conservation