Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-19-2019, 10:34 AM

Default 280 Rem....some facts you may not know

I wrote a thread last year on the ultimate big game caliber for NA game (sans the big bears) and particularly on the 280 Rem:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=332327

Recently, browsing through Nosler's newest reloading manual, I came across this write up (see first picture attached). To say that Nosler uses the 280 caliber for ALL their 7mm bullet testings is a tall order.

In addition to that, Ken Waters whom I have a lot of respect for as a gun writer and a hunter once did an experiment with the 280 for which the write up is attached in the second picture. I have tested it with exact similar results using 140, 150, 160 and 175 grain bullets.

Most European hunters use its twin brother; the 7x64 Brenneke and I believe John Nosler's personal favorite has always been the 280 Rem, as well Jim Carmichael's personal favorite. It is an absolute hand loader's dream but good factory loads are still available.

Thought those 280 fans out there would enjoy reading this post as well...

Yours in good hunt'n,

CH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nosler Writeup for 280 Rem.jpg (64.0 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 280 Rem Accuracy Test.jpg (28.8 KB, 208 views)
Old 02-19-2019, 11:23 AM

The .280 is my go to for the past 25 yrs.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:58 AM
Banned

The 280rem and 280ai are by far my favorite cartridges, and have been since 1997.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:45 PM
Banned

Tried to find a 280, either a rem or ackley, I failed, bought a 28 nosler, its just plain sexy lol
Old 02-20-2019, 06:36 AM

280 is perfection fully realized (along with the 6.5 Squealmoor).
Old 02-20-2019, 06:46 AM

SNS2 the squidmore... it’s the wanna be 260imp

LC
Old 02-20-2019, 06:55 AM

If Nosler uses the 280rem CARTRIDGE for ALL of their 7mm bullet testing, then they obviously don't test their bullets at velocities that cartridges like the 28 Nosler can produce. It doesn't seem overly smart to me to introduce a new cartridge like the 28 Nosler , without testing your bullets at the velocity that the new cartridge can produce.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:31 AM

I've just got an old Sako AV in 7x64, no game shot with it yet, and still developing a couple loads, it will become my main rifle in Canada, I will keep the 9.3x62 for heavy work.
I've hunted with a 7x 57 for 20 years, Taken several hundred game,
7mm bullets, both the .270, and .284 cal, perform very well, on the the vast majority of hoofed game, hunted threw out the world,
Old 02-20-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
I wrote a thread last year on the ultimate big game caliber for NA game (sans the big bears) and particularly on the 280 Rem:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=332327

Recently, browsing through Nosler's newest reloading manual, I came across this write up (see first picture attached). To say that Nosler uses the 280 caliber for ALL their 7mm bullet testings is a tall order.

In addition to that, Ken Waters whom I have a lot of respect for as a gun writer and a hunter once did an experiment with the 280 for which the write up is attached in the second picture. I have tested it with exact similar results using 140, 150, 160 and 175 grain bullets.

Most European hunters use its twin brother; the 7x64 Brenneke and I believe John Nosler's personal favorite has always been the 280 Rem, as well Jim Carmichael's personal favorite. It is an absolute hand loader's dream but good factory loads are still available.

Thought those 280 fans out there would enjoy reading this post as well...

Yours in good hunt'n,

CH
Interesting post. I've always wondered why some gun writers will say a certain caliber is just about perfect for all NA game, then put a caveat on it by excluding "the big bears." The reality is that the big bears are not so big in the grande scheme of things. An average interior grizzly will weigh around 400 pounds. An exceptional bear might go 1000. I've skinned a pile of them and a moose has much thicker hide and bone structure. Bison are heavier still. All that being said, I have only ever seen one grizzly taken with the 280, and it was the fastest cleanest kill you could ask for. The shot was 225-yards, ( further than I would let most hunters shoot at a grizzly, but I knew the hunter had the skill to make the shot) The big boar just rolled over and was dead. Cody Robbins was the hunter, so its all on film. The 280 really is an efficient caliber.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
Interesting post. I've always wondered why some gun writers will say a certain caliber is just about perfect for all NA game, then put a caveat on it by excluding "the big bears." The reality is that the big bears are not so big in the grande scheme of things. An average interior grizzly will weigh around 400 pounds. An exceptional bear might go 1000. I've skinned a pile of them and a moose has much thicker hide and bone structure. Bison are heavier still. All that being said, I have only ever seen one grizzly taken with the 280, and it was the fastest cleanest kill you could ask for. The shot was 225-yards, ( further than I would let most hunters shoot at a grizzly, but I knew the hunter had the skill to make the shot) The big boar just rolled over and was dead. Cody Robbins was the hunter, so its all on film. The 280 really is an efficient caliber.
Do you have a link to the clip you can add to the thread? It would make a good addition to thread for all those that seem to think you need a 300 magnum to kill a bear.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Interesting post. I've always wondered why some gun writers will say a certain caliber is just about perfect for all NA game, then put a caveat on it by excluding "the big bears." The 280 really is an efficient caliber.
Not trying to be picky but the word caliber is the most misused word on this and most hunting/shooting forums. The 280 isn't a caliber it's a cartridge. The .284 (7mm) caliber includes a great number of cartridges including the .280 Remington, 7mm Remington magnum, 28 Nosler, 7mm-08 just to name a few.

If a knowledgeable gun writer is writing about the ideal caliber, that caliber would include a number of different cartridges. If a writer is speaking of the virtues of the .280 Remington he/she'd be talking about the ideal cartridge.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Do you have a link to the clip you can add to the thread? It would make a good addition to thread for all those that seem to think you need a 300 magnum to kill a bear.
No I dont have a link. The show aired a year or so back. Im sure someone with better computer skills than I have could do it though. Cody and Kelseys show live to hunt is pretty popular, so Im sure its out there somewhere. Just a side note but its worth mentioning that Cody is one of the better shots I've seen in my career, with archery or rifle. I've guided him a couple of times and he's the real deal. Certainly one of, if not the most, experienced TV show hosts out there, despite his age. A real stand up guy too.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:59 AM

Default 280 calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Not trying to be picky but the word caliber is the most misused word on this and most hunting/shooting forums. The 280 isn't a caliber it's a cartridge. The .284 (7mm) caliber includes a great number of cartridges including the .280 Remington, 7mm Remington magnum, 28 Nosler, 7mm-08 just to name a few.

If a knowledgeable gun writer is writing about the ideal caliber, that caliber would include a number of different cartridges. If a writer is speaking of the virtues of the .280 Remington he/she'd be talking about the ideal cartridge.
OMG! ... there are at least 2 of you out there ... you sound like my buddy Cam - lol - and that is good thing - I think?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
No I dont have a link. The show aired a year or so back. Im sure someone with better computer skills than I have could do it though. Cody and Kelseys show live to hunt is pretty popular, so Im sure its out there somewhere. Just a side note but its worth mentioning that Cody is one of the better shots I've seen in my career, with archery or rifle. I've guided him a couple of times and he's the real deal. Certainly one of, if not the most, experienced TV show hosts out there, despite his age. A real stand up guy too.
Ya, I’ve met Cody on a number of occasions, along with Bill Longman, they’re both a couple of good fellas for sure, even met Berkley.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Is this it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VYz_99mGm0
Scroll ahead to about 14:30
Old 02-20-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
Is this it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VYz_99mGm0
Scroll ahead to about 14:30
Yes thats it. Brings back a lot of good memories. We had a lot of laughs together on our hunts. I guess that hunt kind of sums up the 280 nicely too. Do it all cartridge for sure. I wasn't to fond of the Cooper rifle, but the 280 did just fine.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes thats it. Brings back a lot of good memories. We had a lot of laughs together on our hunts. I guess that hunt kind of sums up the 280 nicely too. Do it all cartridge for sure. I wasn't to fond of the Cooper rifle, but the 280 did just fine.
I had a 280rem in a cooper Excalibur, accurate rifle but not for me.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:10 PM

Cartridge selection is the most overrated exercise in big game hunting that there is. It is beyond ludicrous. And largely moot. There are far too many big game hunters that should be far more concerned about their marksmanship in the field than any brass canister in the chamber of their rifle.

Give me a rifle that works like it’s supposed to EVERY time. A bullet leaving the muzzle somewhere between 2600 and 3300 FPS that will poke holes in organs that matter and game inside 450 to 500 yds is in trouble. If that game runs off into the weeds for any significant distance it was poorly hit and it’s your fault. Period.

And no, bigger cartridges don’t bridge gaps in poor shot placement.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-20-2019, 01:17 PM

Some folks about to be triggered.......
Old 02-20-2019, 01:19 PM

The truth is brutal to some.......

-Billy Molls
Old 02-20-2019, 02:14 PM

Well, it was a good thread...
Old 02-20-2019, 02:27 PM

The .280 Remington, also known as the 7mm-06 Remington and 7mm Express Remington, was introduced in 1957 for the Remington model 740, 760, 721, and 725 rifles.

Marketing...what a wonderful thing it is.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Cartridge selection is the most overrated exercise in big game hunting that there is. It is beyond ludicrous. And largely moot. There are far too many big game hunters that should be far more concerned about their marksmanship in the field than any brass canister in the chamber of their rifle.

Give me a rifle that works like it’s supposed to EVERY time. A bullet leaving the muzzle somewhere between 2600 and 3300 FPS that will poke holes in organs that matter and game inside 450 to 500 yds is in trouble. If that game runs off into the weeds for any significant distance it was poorly hit and it’s your fault. Period.

35-years guiding full time has taught me that you're 100% correct. I dont know a single experienced guide that would disagree with you. One of the greatest brown bear guides of them all Phil Shoemaker, was taken to task on another forum recently when he stated that he would have no problem with a client bringing a 7mm08 on a brown bear hunt. The nay sayers were eerily quiet when he posted pictures of a big browny a client harvested with the little gun.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:

There we have it folks, no need to discuss anything further, Chuck has spoken and used the word “period”. Might as well shut er down now, nothing more can be added of value
Old 02-20-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Yup...you think this is bad, start the fixed or mechanical debate about archery

LC
Old 02-20-2019, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yup...you think this is bad, start the fixed or mechanical debate about archery

LC
????

Didn’t the “fix” the problem by creating mechanicals?
Old 02-20-2019, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
????

Didn’t the “fix” the problem by creating mechanicals?
Lol
Old 02-20-2019, 07:42 PM

Bought a 280 in a Model 700 mountain grade in 1987. Have used it since with 160 grain Nosler Partitions for everything. Good accuracy and has all hit we need for moose , elk, deer and antelope. Put a Brown Precision stock on it and it's very light to pack all day. Painless to shoot on the bench or in the field.

Have no reason to use anything other than a 22-250.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:28 PM

Love my .280 Ackley......
Old 03-14-2019, 04:22 PM

Wink 280 rem

I got my first custom put together in 1984, in Calgary on a Sako Long action, set in a nice wood stock. w/shilen 24" barrel and chambered in 280 rem. Imp (30* shoulder) it shot bug holes and I still have that rifle, won't part with it. Just recently had a Sako 75 barreled to std .280 by Henry Rempel. Its a fine shooter, and love that cal. But truth is ??? The guy behind the trigger and ammo used to cleanly harvest an animal is key to any successful hunt. JMO.!! Tried all the magnums, now going backward on the scale to get same results. Good Hunting. !! My 2 cents .