Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-19-2019, 10:44 AM

I have a number of high quality used rifles available in a number of calibers,
Give me a PM if you would like to see a few. I also have a private range nearby where you could try them on for size. Prices range from 850 to $1100.00
Old 02-19-2019, 12:03 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Weatherby Vanguard 2 in .270 or 30-06. The stainless barrel is only a couple bucks more
This 👍👍......in 30-06 will do whatever you want it to do. And the stainless is a great plus.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:18 PM

If shopping new I'd agree with the recommendation for the Vanguard, its about the only budget type rifle I'd even bother with, not a fan of Tikkas myself.

My recommendation however would be to shop the used market for a better rifle. I probably haven't bought a rifle new in nearly a decade, there's just so many good deals to be had on the used market, I cant be bothered to pay more money for a firearm that is quite often inferior.

When shopping the used market its easyer to get a good deal if you aren't dead set on a particular caliber, and instead worry about getting a nice rifle for a good price. For a first hunting rifle I would stay away from magnums, but any standard chambering between 6.5x55 and 30-06 will work fine.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=Salavee;3933647]I have a number of high quality used rifles available in a number of calibers,
Give me a PM if you would like to see a few. I also have a private range nearby where you could try them on for size. Prices range from 850 to $1100.00[/QUOTE

Take this man up on his offer. Even if you don't buy you will learn from your experience. His track record speaks for itself.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:21 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=bagwan;3933755]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Give me a PM if you would like to see a few. I also have a private range nearby where you could try them on for size. Prices range from 850 to $1100.00[/QUOTE

Take this man up on his offer. Even if you don't buy you will learn from your experience. His track record speaks for itself.
Never met him but bs'ed him a fair bit. You won't steered wrong
Old 02-19-2019, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
More money does not always mean more quality, it can also mean more expensive to produce, or it can mean paying a huge surcharge for a certain model that supposedly brings more prestige. Yes used rifles can be a much better value, but a person that has never owned a rifle likely doesn't know what to look out for in used rifles. He could get a great deal, but he could just as easily end up with someone else's problem.
Yes,,,and sometimes more money also means better as well
Old 02-19-2019, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Now I’m contributing to a derail but I’ll say it anyway.

Go back and read first two paragraphs of my original post on this subject. However you chose to interpret them is on you. What I said and then attempted to validate with my own personal experience is “buy something of quality that fits your budget”. If you can’t see any value in that opinion I don’t know what to say.
I never once said he shouldn’t buy whatever he wants and be proud of it. That is again your interpretation and misrepresentation of what I wrote. I’m not interested in a bit of back and forth with you on this because it’s not within the intention of the OP’s thread so I’ll leave it there. You can have the last word if you need it.
I’m 4 hours drive from the OP, why would I have any obligation to help him find his first rifle? Just because I gave him a condensed version of my experience and subsequent opinion? If he or someone else felt the urge to pm me and ask for some advice or help I would (and have before) but that’s got nothing to do with you.

OP,

You’ve stated your well on your way to choosing a rifle. As for caliber your on the right track. Anything between a 7mm-08 and 30-06 should serve you well. I would probably steer you toward the smaller end of that scale because we don’t know how you tolerate recoil and to much recoil is a sure way to impede your education/progression.

To the OP, and learn the difference between a cartridge and a caliber
Old 02-19-2019, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Give me a PM if you would like to see a few. I also have a private range nearby where you could try them on for size. Prices range from 850 to $1100.00
Great offer right there,
Old 02-19-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
To the OP, and learn the difference between a cartridge and a caliber

How embarrassing, did I lose all my street cred? You’ll just have to trust I know the difference between a

“Cartridge”

Waitaminute that’s not right. Where did I leave that picture. Oh yea...

m

And a “caliber”

I’ll try and remember not to use the two interchangeably because one needs to not only shoot but also speak accurately around here lest we confuse the new guys and simultaneously upset some of the old hands.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
How embarrassing, did I lose all my street cred? You’ll just have to trust I know the difference between a

“Cartridge”

Waitaminute that’s not right. Where did I leave that picture. Oh yea...

m

And a “caliber”

I’ll try and remember not to use the two interchangeably because one needs to not only shoot but also speak accurately around here lest we confuse the new guys and simultaneously upset some of the old hands.
Hey,,,your bang button fell outa your “pew pew” case
Old 02-19-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Hey,,,your bang button fell outa your “pew pew” case
Oh man, that’s two in a row on this end. I’ll have to pick my game up. I thought showing a few different .338’s and contrasting them as different cartridge designations with the same caliber would fly. Yet in my haste I forgot it’s not so much a “cartridge” without that “primer” as it is just a case. You’ll have to trust I considered throwing a primer in it to avoid geting called on that but that seemed silly as my .338 federal still needs the barrel installed on my kimber. The rifle and barrel are sitting in my safe warming up to each other but there’s no thread contact yet. We could say the “headspace” is excessive right now.
Let’s just say, you’ll have to extract the abstract cartridge “designation” as what was important from the (first?) second picture.

In the future could you please refer to it as a primer though, not a bang button as that’s one of my pet peeves.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Oh man, that’s two in a row on this end. I’ll have to pick my game up. I thought showing a few different .338’s and contrasting them as different cartridge designations with the same caliber would fly. Yet in my haste I forgot it’s not so much a “cartridge” without that “primer” as it is just a case. You’ll have to trust I considered throwing a primer in it to avoid geting called on that but that seemed silly as my .338 federal still needs the barrel installed on my kimber. The rifle and barrel are sitting in my safe warming up to each other but there’s no thread contact yet. We could say the “headspace” is excessive right now.
Let’s just say, you’ll have to extract the abstract cartridge “designation” as what was important from the (first?) second picture.

In the future could you please refer to it as a primer though, not a bang button as that’s one of my pet peeves.
I'm with you on this one. Caliber/Cartridge.....the next thing you know someone's going to say that the Ruger American has a "clip" and the whole place is going to blow up.......
Old 02-19-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post
I'm with you on this one. Caliber/Cartridge.....the next thing you know someone's going to say that the Ruger American has a "clip" and the whole place is going to blow up.......
Oh can you imagine the chaos? Utter anarchy, the mods would likely have to close the forum instead of the thread.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:50 PM
Banned

And your car has a motor not an engine plus your ok with a “pew pew” case
Old 02-19-2019, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey, you wanna walk the walk then talk the talk, go to a gun store and tell the guy your looking for rounds for your 30 cartridge, what’s his next question gunna be? Ask for a 30-06 caliber and you may get what you need but yer wrong and the gun guy should know that,,,am i wrong?

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 02-19-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Hey, you wanna walk the walk then talk the talk
Say that 10 times really fast....
Old 02-19-2019, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Say that 10 times really fast....
Walk the walk, talk the talk
Walk the walk , talk the clock
Wok the clock, talk the block
Etc.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Walk the walk, talk the talk
Walk the walk , talk the clock
Wok the clock, talk the block
Etc.

I knew you'd try it....

so did I
Old 02-19-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
And your car has a motor not an engine plus your ok with a “pew pew” case
Actually that’s something I am particular about. An engine makes power, typically via combustion. A motor uses power, typically via electricity. If my night guy woke me up and said we had blown a turbo on a motor or a traction engine was down I would give him the gears. Lucky for us this isn’t at work...
Old 02-20-2019, 12:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Maybe you or I feel confident enough to buy and sell used guns. I suspect this guy doesn't or he wouldn't have started this thread. You and the other guy here don't seem to get how hard that would be for a person who knows nothing about rifles.
When a guy asks which caliber to buy, you know he's starting from scratch.
Scopes too would be very complicated for that person. Bases and rings....

Sure he'll learn and figure it out over time, but for now he wants to buy a gun and go hunting with some buddies.
He may find something good or not used, but he doesn't need that hassle.

There's nothing wrong with buying a new inexpensive factory rifle today. With today's technology and production methods they all shoot good. He can get into the game with a brand new shiny set up for well under a grand and be proud of his first gun.

True but like everything else in life every thing that glitters is not gold....oh yeah and a oldy but great quality rifle complete with a scope will save him/her a few bucks for other accessories too.....and they will just have to kick around thier new hobby to learn a few things like us people who give advice....not always worth its weight in dog crap.

To the OP just take your time, nice fitting feel good to to and your pocket book then take the plunge...it won't stop there trust me!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-20-2019, 01:42 AM

My 2 cents worth is choose a cal that ammo is locally available , you will always find the old stand by, 308, 30-06 , 270 win , and usualy 7mm-08, 6.5 x 55 , and probably 6.5 creedmore. 303 British is always available and don't under estimate it's potential. Parker Hake made some very nice 303 sporters.

What takes your fancy? old school nice wood, deep blued steel , or plastic and a sand blasted finish ? My choice is wood and deep blued steel, it looks great and it does last a lifetime. My oldest is an 1862 Snider, wood and steel.

With Elk on the list just about any 7mm and up is more that enough, lesser can do it if you are patient for the right shot, not just any shot. you are never under gunned with a 7mm-08 .

A typical hunters rifle will never wear out , target, obsessive compulsive shooters do wear out barrels.
The used market here and on Gun nuts always has good deals on used guns like mentioned above. Tradex also has some good used ones too at good prices.
Starting out I would avoid Magnums, and hard to get caliber ammo, like the 7x57 , 9.3x62 and many more . Fun guns like a 30-30 /M94 are limited in range , they are not 200+ yard rifles.

What would I look for if I was you ??? Winchester M70, Rem 700, Parker Hale Safari/1200c , Savage 110? ,to name a few. {in a cal that is localy available above }
First choice would probably be a 7mm-08 but if the price is right a 308,30-06,270 ,all will be practical.

A duplex type reticle in the scope is simple and all you need for reasonable hunting distance. 3x9 is more than enough scope and will be available for around $200 new like the Nikon pro Staff. My favorite scope I have is a bushnel Scope Chief V in 4x40. I use lots of scopes from the 50's and 60's , that still shoot true. There are good scopes available under $300. Lots of used rifles have scopes , that are quite good. The old Bushnell's and weavers have stood the test of time.

Personal taste is on you as to action, style etc. you like.

New is a nice feeling, but a well cared for rifle, more classic rifle is hard to beat .

Good luck, take your time making your choices. Remember the rifle may put 3 in a single cluster in the right shooters hands, but if you are only capable of a 6" group no rifle will make it a 1/2" group, that's up to you.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Roid has a 303 for sale on on this forum....250 bucks gets you into the sport....can upgrade latter and have a great second rifle.....etc

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-20-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Roid has a 303 for sale on on this forum....250 bucks gets you into the sport....can upgrade latter and have a great second rifle.....etc

Cat
Old 02-21-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
My 2 cents worth is choose a cal that ammo is locally available , you will always find the old stand by, 308, 30-06 , 270 win , and usualy 7mm-08, 6.5 x 55 , and probably 6.5 creedmore. 303 British is always available and don't under estimate it's potential. Parker Hake made some very nice 303 sporters.

What takes your fancy? old school nice wood, deep blued steel , or plastic and a sand blasted finish ? My choice is wood and deep blued steel, it looks great and it does last a lifetime. My oldest is an 1862 Snider, wood and steel.

With Elk on the list just about any 7mm and up is more that enough, lesser can do it if you are patient for the right shot, not just any shot. you are never under gunned with a 7mm-08 .

A typical hunters rifle will never wear out , target, obsessive compulsive shooters do wear out barrels.
The used market here and on Gun nuts always has good deals on used guns like mentioned above. Tradex also has some good used ones too at good prices.
Starting out I would avoid Magnums, and hard to get caliber ammo, like the 7x57 , 9.3x62 and many more . Fun guns like a 30-30 /M94 are limited in range , they are not 200+ yard rifles.

What would I look for if I was you ??? Winchester M70, Rem 700, Parker Hale Safari/1200c , Savage 110? ,to name a few. {in a cal that is localy available above }
First choice would probably be a 7mm-08 but if the price is right a 308,30-06,270 ,all will be practical.

A duplex type reticle in the scope is simple and all you need for reasonable hunting distance. 3x9 is more than enough scope and will be available for around $200 new like the Nikon pro Staff. My favorite scope I have is a bushnel Scope Chief V in 4x40. I use lots of scopes from the 50's and 60's , that still shoot true. There are good scopes available under $300. Lots of used rifles have scopes , that are quite good. The old Bushnell's and weavers have stood the test of time.

Personal taste is on you as to action, style etc. you like.

New is a nice feeling, but a well cared for rifle, more classic rifle is hard to beat .

Good luck, take your time making your choices. Remember the rifle may put 3 in a single cluster in the right shooters hands, but if you are only capable of a 6" group no rifle will make it a 1/2" group, that's up to you.
Thanks for the advice appreciate that, a buddy of mine has a rem 700 for sale gonna check it out this weekend, as well check out what’s kicking around local
Old 02-24-2019, 09:41 AM
Banned

There is a Winchester model 70 in a 270 just came up on the for sale forum here, stock has a couple marks on it but new stock in the future when you can get one,,,,475 bux,,, do it lol
Old 02-24-2019, 09:47 AM
Banned

Double post
Old 02-24-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Double post
I’ll half to check it out, I was out yesterday checked out a couple tikkas an a rem 700
Old 02-24-2019, 10:40 AM

I got the savage axis many years ago, almost on release.

I'm still shooting it, it's a great starter rifle, added some nice glass.

The only downside is the box mag clip breaks.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:57 PM

Old 02-26-2019, 03:59 PM

Buy this one that Coil shows.^^^
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard