Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 04:53 PM

Default Best ammo for my new Sako 7mm

Just picked up my new Sako Roughtech Pro in a 7mm Rem Mag. Wondering what would be the best (off the shelf) hunting (deer,moose,elk) bullet suited for this rifle. I plan on shooting a few different brands of bullets when I eventually get to the range but I thought I'd ask if there's anyone who has this gun and can share some advice/experiences. Thx guys.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:01 PM

I have the same gun. Mine likes the Federal blue box ammo. 3 shots at 100 yards i was able to covered up with a dime. 175 gr,
Old 02-17-2019, 05:04 PM

Wow...you can't beat that grouping.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:06 PM

I'd like to be around the 160ish grain.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:46 PM

Mine likes the federal Sierra game king 165 BTSP.
The 175gr shoots a bit off and larger drops than I like. The 150gr won't stay straight, like to just zing them out there.
WDF
Old 02-17-2019, 06:23 PM

I have reloaded 20 old Grand Slam using IMR 3031 but haven't had a chance to test them out yet. Phil
Old 02-18-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
I have reloaded 20 old Grand Slam using IMR 3031 but haven't had a chance to test them out yet. Phil
3031 sounds some kinda fast for a 7rem, unless my memory isn’t very good. Let us know how she shoots.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
3031 sounds some kinda fast for a 7rem, unless my memory isn’t very good. Let us know how she shoots.
IMR 3031 is used to produce reduced velocity loads in the 7mmremmag. It would be a very poor choice if you don't desire reduced velocity loads.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:43 PM

Winchester Supreme in 160gr Accubonds or 160gr WS Elite xp3s get my vote for your 7mm RM Sako RTP
Old 02-18-2019, 11:39 PM

Remington loads the Premium Scirocco Bonded bullet again. IMO it's one of the most under rated bullets there are. Great bullet.
But, so many good ones to choose.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:09 AM

I have had good luck with Winchester Supreme 140 Accubonds but they quit making them, I'll try the 160 grain next
Old 02-19-2019, 08:25 AM

I have the Sako A7 in 7mm and mine liked Federal blue box. I reload now and it really likes Berger VLD Hunting.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:48 AM

I've now heard about a dozen claims that Sakos like the blue box stuff. Go figure.

Truth be told I've found the same thing in several rifles myself. I had a savage 10 that would cut one hole with four shots and spit the fifth half an inch away. Probably a combination of nerves and barrel heat

Colin
Old 02-19-2019, 09:46 AM

So is the OP looking for bullet suggestions, or for factory load suggestions?
Old 02-19-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So is the OP looking for bullet suggestions, or for factory load suggestions?
Yeah I guess it's a bit hard to tell. I took "off the shelf" as factory loaded...?
Old 02-19-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post
Yeah I guess it's a bit hard to tell. I took "off the shelf" as factory loaded...?
There are also custom bullets available, the way he used bullets, had me wondering.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:14 PM

Hey guys. Thx for the feedback. I don't reload so I would be using factory ammo.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt7mm View Post
Hey guys. Thx for the feedback. I don't reload so I would be using factory ammo.
Hey Curtis, how are you?

There are so many good choices for the 7mm mag. of all types and prices. Depends what you're doing, I guess.

In truth, the cheaper ones will probably do just fine for all the game in Alberta.
Before all these fancy bullets came about, I probably killed more game with a basic cup and core bullet.

But if we're getting fancy, two off hand that I'd suggest are:

1 - HSM 168 grain Hunting VLD

2 - Remington **Scirocco** (not sure what weight they're coming out with)...now Remington used to load these bullets several years ago then discontinued them for some reason. But, I see they're loading them again so there must have been some demand.

They shot great for me in a few different rifles. Poorly in one. On game results were devastating.

In my opinion they're one of the best bullets going, ahead of their time, I think. They're long, tipped, boattail, and bonded. I don't hear guys talk about them much and that's always confused me.

Swift makes them and they also make the "A-Frame", which is like the Nosler Partition. I don't know who loads these.

No shortage of ammo for the 7mm mag., and most, if they shoot good in your new rifle will get the job done. Boils down to your gun and your preference.
Bob
Old 02-19-2019, 03:49 PM

The most inconsistent loads that I have seen, are the HSM loads with Berger bullets, I have seen 2" to 3" groups at 100 yards with them in multiple rifles. Loads using 140 to 160 gr Accubonds or Partitions will work well on game, but you need to see if they shoot well in your rifle. The lighter TTSX bullets also work well on game, but once again, you need to see what shoots well in your rifle. There are several other good bullets, but I prefer bonded or monometal or partition style bullets at 7mmremmag velocities.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The most inconsistent loads that I have seen, are the HSM loads with Berger bullets, I have seen 2" to 3" groups at 100 yards with them in multiple rifles. Loads using 140 to 160 gr Accubonds or Partitions will work well on game, but you need to see if they shoot well in your rifle. The lighter TTSX bullets also work well on game, but once again, you need to see what shoots well in your rifle. There are several other good bullets, but I prefer bonded or monometal or partition style bullets at 7mmremmag velocities.
I'm sure you know you typically need a faster twist for the Bergers. They are finicky and I know, controversial, but if they shoot well they came be a great bullet, IMO.
But tell me. Why aren't the Swift bullets as popular as the Noslers?
Old 02-19-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post
I'm sure you know you typically need a faster twist for the Bergers. They are finicky and I know, controversial, but if they shoot well they came be a great bullet, IMO.
But tell me. Why aren't the Swift bullets as popular as the Noslers?
The rate of twist isn't the issue, the issue is that the VLD bullets are very sensitive to jump to the lands, and with factory loads, you can't change the seating depth. As for swift Bullets, they aren't available in as many styles and weights as Nosler, they are carried by far fewer dealers, and they tend to cost more.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:05 PM

Ops was thinking of my 45-70 with IMR 3031 My Grand Slam 175 are loaded with IMR4350.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:13 PM

Hey Bob. Thanks for your informative input. You're right about all the options available when it comes to choosing ammo for a 7mm RM. I am partial to the Nosler Partitions because I used them in my Ruger M77 7mm. They grouped well for that gun. I'll just have try a few different brands to see which gives me the tightest groups. Looking forward to spring so I can get out and start shooting this new gun.