Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2019, 04:53 PM

There is/was a Sea Shephard on CGN. Appeared to be out of Lower Mainland BC

Last activity was 01-25-2018 03:18 AM. Joined CGN in 2008 and listed occupation as student
Old 02-27-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Nope. Sent two texts and they both say delivered but not received (iphones).
Not to say he is a scammer but he has logged in since this thread was posted. Strange that it does not appear he has tried to clear up any confusion but perhaps he has been working with OP or the mods to clear this up.

Overall, scammers seem like an all time high. Every day on Kijiji I see clear as day scam ads where the seller tries to lure someone into sending a deposit under the guise of “someone else is coming right now to look, send a deposit and I will hold if you are serious”. I am sure there are lowlifes who have made thousands by doing that.

Please everyone be extremely weary of sending any sort of “deposit”.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:05 AM

Don't want to get scammed?

Stop using alternative websites like firearms canada ect. To buy guns. Use CGN or AO only and deal with member that have good trader rating only.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Not to say he is a scammer but he has logged in since this thread was posted. Strange that it does not appear he has tried to clear up any confusion but perhaps he has been working with OP or the mods to clear this up.

Overall, scammers seem like an all time high. Every day on Kijiji I see clear as day scam ads where the seller tries to lure someone into sending a deposit under the guise of “someone else is coming right now to look, send a deposit and I will hold if you are serious”. I am sure there are lowlifes who have made thousands by doing that.

Please everyone be extremely weary of sending any sort of “deposit”.
I have asked for a deposit in the past. I was selling a large piece of exercise equipment on Kiji and other site no less. I had lot so of I will be there(s), and low balls etc and was tired of the games. I had a couple actual serious leads but from people that couldn't come until the weekend or had to measure their workout area or other contingencies, I did ask for a deposit from a out of towner to hold the item until the weekend. Worked out great for both of us.

Generally though I wouldn't do a deposit. I ALWAYS do my deals on the phone first and get a feel for the person that I'm dealing with, unless I have done business with them on here or CGN before.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-28-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Agreed, I don’t see why sellers balk so much at sending COD. That way both parties are pretty safe.
I sold a Williams peep sight last week COD, have never used that system before, aside from having to wait for the money I am very happy with it. i also don't NEED the money right this second and am willing too wait.

however, you would think Canada post would be able too simply etransfer it too you (or even just notify your local post office to issue you a cheque) within 24hrs with how simple that process is these days.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
It gives you a warning as you don't need to create a question and an answer.
I have not found that to be the case Andrew. The first time I sent an EMT to someone with auto deposit it was just like any other....created password and all that, sent it to him, and before I could even send an email to the seller providing him with the password to deposit....I got an email saying it was deposited. That was a real eye opener for me. Since then I also set up my primary email/bank account for auto deposit, as it is simple and convenient to do. Anyone who thinks they can send an EMT safely and just withhold the password until their package is sent, is not understanding the process. At all.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-28-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I have not found that to be the case Andrew. The first time I sent an EMT to someone with auto deposit it was just like any other....created password and all that, sent it to him, and before I could even send an email to the seller providing him with the password to deposit....I got an email saying it was deposited. That was a real eye opener for me. Since then I also set up my primary email/bank account for auto deposit, as it is simple and convenient to do. Anyone who thinks they can send an EMT safely and just withhold the password until their package is sent, is not understanding the process. At all.
Good to know. I only use the RBC app on my phone but it did give me a warning about the auto deposit being set up. As a seller, I would never ship a product without a password first.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:40 AM

Just so you are all aware, scammers still operating on this site...just posted this in the buy/sell.

Scammers on AO

User 'darrenwar' is a scammer using the stolen PAL of Darren Warmuth and a generic darrenwarmuth05@gmail.com address.

I know this for fact, because it is my ID as I got scammed on this forum last year along with others. It appears that AO has been infiltrated by scammers like usedfirearms.ca and gunpost etc. as there is no vetting process.

You can see they are getting ready to post sale ads because they are pushing up their post count to do so. Not sure how they are scamming by being the buyer, but apparently there is a way.

So write down the name Darren Warmuth and don't buy or sell to that name on this forum.

Regardless, I don't buy off this forum any longer and I guess I don't sell on it either. Not worth the hassle. Time to move on.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:45 AM

So have you reported this alleged scammer to the Mods?

There are no absolutes
Old 03-10-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
So have you reported this alleged scammer to the Mods?
He may or may not have, but I flagged his post to them for the appropriate action
Old 03-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
He may or may not have, but I flagged his post to them for the appropriate action
I did too.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-10-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwing327 View Post
Just so you are all aware, scammers still operating on this site...just posted this in the buy/sell.

Scammers on AO

User 'darrenwar' is a scammer using the stolen PAL of Darren Warmuth and a generic darrenwarmuth05@gmail.com address.

I know this for fact, because it is my ID as I got scammed on this forum last year along with others. It appears that AO has been infiltrated by scammers like usedfirearms.ca and gunpost etc. as there is no vetting process.

You can see they are getting ready to post sale ads because they are pushing up their post count to do so. Not sure how they are scamming by being the buyer, but apparently there is a way.

So write down the name Darren Warmuth and don't buy or sell to that name on this forum.

Regardless, I don't buy off this forum any longer and I guess I don't sell on it either. Not worth the hassle. Time to move on.
He actually tried to buy a firearm from me last week, he seemed off communication was spotty. Ended up selling the firearm to someone else.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:33 AM

I see the above mentioned member was kicked off of our island(banned)

There are no absolutes
Old 03-10-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwing327 View Post

Scammers on AO

I understand your frustration but blaming AO as they have been infiltrated with scammers because of no vetting process is an exaggeration. There is many and I dare say mostly honest members here. The system works if one chooses to use it. If you decide to deal with a new member from Toronto that had a zero trader rating and had obviously inflated their post count with a bunch of one line "ata boy" type of posts, you can almost expect bad things to happen.

I know that sounds like victim blaming but there are scammers everywhere these days. If you don't use some common sense, you are going to lose some money regardless of what sites you use.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher10 View Post
He actually tried to buy a firearm from me last week, he seemed off communication was spotty. Ended up selling the firearm to someone else.
He tried to buy from me as well.but he didn't pass the smell test. I asked a mod about him and he was gone shortly after.

Good work.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-11-2019, 08:16 AM

Balk at it if you want: I refuse to do any deal with a guy less than 10 profile entries. I have even contacted some of the posters.

If at any point, one hair on my neck stands up....I am out.

IMO, The prices on those guns are at the point to hook you....not too high to push you away, but low enough to reel you in.

Once bit; twice shy......yes I have been ripped of as well.

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.