Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-08-2019, 09:25 AM

All good advice.

Take TimSesink up on his offer to sit down with you. He's one of the good ones.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Read the regulations carefully, and pay attention to the part where you need to leave proof of sex on the carcass.
Having reviewed the regulations again, I want to confirm that I understand this correctly;

Tags and proof of sex must be left on until the animal in question is delivered to a legal butchering establishment, or the home of the individual who will be consuming said animal (i.e. hunter)? So, field stripping and butchering is not allowed.

Am I correct in this?

Thanks;

PrpleWlf
Old 03-10-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrpleWlf View Post
Having reviewed the regulations again, I want to confirm that I understand this correctly;

Tags and proof of sex must be left on until the animal in question is delivered to a legal butchering establishment, or the home of the individual who will be consuming said animal (i.e. hunter)? So, field stripping and butchering is not allowed.

Am I correct in this?

Thanks;

PrpleWlf
The regulations are clear. You must have sex, species and tag on the same piece.

Don't risk adding interpretations like field stripping and butchering into the regulations - I don't think the regulations use that language and they certainly don't say you can't do either or both.

Keep your life simple - sex, species and tag on one piece. If you have that you can "field strip and butcher" as much as you want until you get home or to the butcher.

Enjoy hunting.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:24 AM

Hey Everyone;

So with the 2019 licences being opened up today, I went ahead and purchased the Bow, WIN Card and WCRDC licences. Received a PDF printout immediately, but I know that they mail these out as well - do I need to wait for the mailed copy, or am I good to head out as soon as I'm ready, regardless of the mailed copy in hand or not? Obviously I would be taking a printed copy/digital version (PDF) with me into the field if the latter.

I can't seem to find anything anywhere acknowledging/denying this, but maybe I'm just overlooking it in the mass of information (I did spend almost 2 hours combing the regs and online FAQ).

Thanks;

PrpleWlf
Old 03-14-2019, 10:50 AM
Banned

Depends on what your hunting? Rabbit you don’t need any of that go put miles on boots. No big game hunting is open now. Spring bear is soon though
Old 03-14-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainaccent View Post
Depends on what your hunting? Rabbit you don’t need any of that go put miles on boots. No big game hunting is open now. Spring bear is soon though
For now it would be rabbit, which I was told you at least need the bow licence for (I'm hunting recurve); and the rest came with it because...regulations.

So the PDF/printout would work fine?

Thanks;

PrpleWlf
Old 03-14-2019, 10:57 AM

They don’t mail out anything to you if you purchase online, your printout is your license. You can ask them to mail you tags, but you need the tags in order to purchase your individual big game licenses. You can also pickup blank tags at F&W Office.

LC
Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
They don’t mail out anything to you if you purchase online, your printout is your license. You can ask them to mail you tags, but you need the tags in order to purchase your individual big game licenses. You can also pickup blank tags at F&W Office.

LC
Oh! So those printouts are all I should be expecting? I only ask because when I completed the purchase it took me to the printout page (where I saved the tags as PDFs), and then there was a notice about being mailed out in 3 - 5 weeks?

But if this is the case, awesome! I had already requested the tags be mailed out in prep for the Big Game season (wanted to be on the ball!).

Thanks for all your help guys;

PrpleWlf
Old 03-14-2019, 09:20 PM

They will mail your WIN card. That's a plastic card the size of a credit card with a magnetic strip.

In time, you will apply for licenses. That's June. If you don't know about that process, find the online "draws booklet" and read it.

Enjoy.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrpleWlf View Post

Am I correct in this?

Thanks;

PrpleWlf
For a deer: 1)Put a tag on a rear leg elbow.2) Cut off head. 3)Skin the animal, starting from front, from back bone to sides, flipping it side to side as needed until you come to the rear end. You can shave off small pieces of skin as needed. Now you want to do a cut around sex evidence area + tail in such way to have a one, whole peace of skin with sex ev. and tail attached to the leg with a tag. 4) remove front legs 5) take meat from the main body. 6)remove a rear leg without tag 7) remove tagged leg 8) Open gut and take tenderloins and stuff you want to take (heart, liver for me). 9) If you truck is close enough you can now take all legs (cut off bones below elbows) and meat home to further processing, if not, cut off all meat from 3 legs first.
If it is cold enough outside (<+4) you want to put all meat in game cheesecloth bags and hang it for 3-5 days. If it is August start process meat ASAP. Vacuum sealer is the must have. You will get around 16kg of a packed product of an average mule deer doe.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:34 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

All of us can agree that there is just nothing quite like top of the market hunting gear, When it’s late in the evening, all alone in the woods with your top-notch gear. It’s the best feeling on Earth. Now that I think about it I do recall those late evenings to be quite chilly. At the time I paid little to no attention to the matter as I was so "deep" into hunting. Hunting was something I fell in love with when I was much younger. At that time I could not go hunting in the evening as I would quite often, get sick. Naturally, I did understand that it was because of the chilly evenings that I would spend in the cold woods. Of course, I knew I had to equip myself with better gear. So I did, and I would like to tell you what exactly I choose to help. I did acquire a Woolrich Men’s Wool Hunting Coat for myself. In all honesty, I got the passion for buying it because of this review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ9TL49wOjI More so I had to read some of the web-reviews or general comparisons, which I was able to do at http://huntingfishingplus.com/best-w...nting-jackets/. In the end game, I gotta say that I forgot what "cold" felt like when I was back in the woods, all I know now is what "super bloody frickin hot" is, just kidding. I guess the reason I'm so hot when I wear it is that the jacket is made out of tough wool polyester blend, which is woven tightly and designed to keep moisture out, so it is naturally quick-drying. Well, there you go folks, a little story from my life's experiences. SO, my main suggestion would be for you to acquire some sort of jacket maybe?

Last edited by LuckilyWhelp; 05-13-2019 at 06:48 AM.