Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 11:26 PM

Default BC Tidal Possession limits on Multi Day Charters

Looking for some advise...
On off shore charters greater than 2 days, how have folks managed their catch so they do not exceed their 2 day possession limit. We used to ship it greyhound next day, but since greyhound is no longer, it makes it difficult. I get different info from different DFO officers for each office I speak to. One says if your catch is in transit, they wont know about it and its a grey area. Next officer says its in your possession if in transit as its not at your ordinary residence.

I'm considering canceling our 3rd day so I stay on the right side of the law, however the charter guides say they do 3 and 4 day charters all the time...

Advise is appreciated... TIA!
Old 08-17-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertahunter View Post
On off shore charters greater than 2 days, how have folks managed their catch so they do not exceed their 2 day possession limit. We used to ship it greyhound next day, but since greyhound is no longer, it makes it difficult. I get different info from different DFO officers for each office I speak to. One says if your catch is in transit, they wont know about it and its a grey area. Next officer says its in your possession if in transit as its not at your ordinary residence.

I'm considering canceling our 3rd day so I stay on the right side of the law, however the charter guides say they do 3 and 4 day charters all the time...

Ever hear of catch and release? We just space our "keeping" out over the 3 days and don't kill everything we catch like 85% of the people do.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:19 AM

I just came back from a 3 day guided trip to Nootka Island with 23 other people from work. Not one of us managed to get our 2 day possession limit let alone anything in excess of that so maybe it won’t even be an issue. Lol.

Anything in transit is still considered in your possession but no one would ever know so I’m sure people keep fishing all the time. It’s not really a grey area, it’s just that you have very little chance of getting caught.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:45 AM

Possession limit includes what is in transit AND what is is in your freezer at home. This is the same for BC and AB.

That is why it is called a possession limit...

Theoretically a fish is still in your possession until it is eaten, even if you give it away to family etc it is supposed to be considered yours until eaten.

Of course people do multiple day trips, you aren't guaranteed your limit each day and can always catch and release.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Possession limit includes what is in transit AND what is is in your freezer at home. This is the same for BC and AB.
I’ve never checked into this for AB but for BC tidal waters this statement is wrong.

Possession limit in BC does not include what is in you freezer at your place of residence.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertahunter View Post

You fishing or you killing? Standard rules in Rupert were that it was in your possession until it was in your freezer. So, if it was on the bus, it was in your possession. If filling the freezer is a monster thing, put it on the plane. Or just enjoy the 3 days play a little C/R be selective about what you keep.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I’ve never checked into this for AB but for BC tidal waters this statement is wrong.

Possession limit in BC does not include what is in you freezer at your place of residence.
This is true at least about Salt water fish.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:04 AM

I didn’t realize there is an allowance for your primary residence in B.C. That isn’t the case here in AB or in SK, MB or ON...

Frankly I think that is stupid and probably just another reason why fish stocks on the coast are being decimated... How many locals are packing their freezers full every season...

Even though I disagree with these poor regs if you read them it is clear that the fish is in your possession until it is at your normal residence. Transportation is only grey in that it is unlikely you will get caught breaking the law.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Frankly I think that is stupid and probably just another reason why fish stocks on the coast are being decimated... How many locals are packing their freezers full every season...
Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. There are a lot of reasons the fish stocks on the coast are in trouble, but the odd local wanting to keep a few fish in the freezer to get them by between seasons would be a long ways down the list in my opinion.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
I didn’t realize there is an allowance for your primary residence in B.C. That isn’t the case here in AB or in SK, MB or ON...

Even though I disagree with these poor regs if you read them it is clear that the fish is in your possession until it is at your normal residence. Transportation is only grey in that it is unlikely you will get caught breaking the law.
Lots and lots of people do that. Hell, they used to can them at the shores as they caught them. Salmon has been a traditional food staple out there for eons. I think its because they are only really available at certain times of the year. They have restrictions on yearly catch allowances in chinook and in Halibut. I think Chinook is 10 now? Thats 5 daily limits. or 2.5 possession limits.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. There are a lot of reasons the fish stocks on the coast are in trouble, but the odd local wanting to keep a few fish in the freezer to get them by between seasons would be a long ways down the list in my opinion.
Even with possession limits like other provinces the fishing pressure would be a significant factor. All the boats and combat fishing once fish are in the rivers without a doubt has a noticeable effect. I used to think short season and possession limit would limit those numbers but since they don’t have a true possession limit guaranteed their are lots of guys filling a freezer or two each year.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Lots and lots of people do that. Hell, they used to can them at the shores as they caught them. Salmon has been a traditional food staple out there for eons. I think its because they are only really available at certain times of the year. They have restrictions on yearly catch allowances in chinook and in Halibut. I think Chinook is 10 now? Thats 5 daily limits. or 2.5 possession limits.
Yeah that is why it would have originally been set up that way, it should be changed now though(as well as commercial and native netting). You know as well as anybody else how badly fish stocks have been declining out there even in the past decade, time for some changes or soon guys won’t be able to keep anything.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah that is why it would have originally been set up that way, it should be changed now though(as well as commercial and native netting). You know as well as anybody else how badly fish stocks have been declining out there even in the past decade, time for some changes or soon guys won’t be able to keep anything.
Rav. I think a annual limit of 10 Chinook is not even a drop in the bucket. Especially with the ability to know where certain stocks are running (Not saying they use that tool but they damn well should)

Much bigger concerns are nets and Seals, Sea Lions. I am very concerned about the rock slide as well but have mixed feelings about it. If we as humans caused it, then perhaps its up to us to fix it. If it was a naturally occurring scenario then perhaps best to leave it? Still confused on that one.

For me personally I have moved forward and don't really give a crap about keeping fish. I just love catching them and being out there. God how I miss it sometimes.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
For me personally I have moved forward and don't really give a crap about keeping fish. I just love catching them and being out there. God how I miss it sometimes.
That is a good attitude for sure. Nice to keep but it doesn't have to be 100% of the time.

One thing I've seen change over the past 2-3 years is Haida Gwaii. Before this time, most tyees were kept. Now that has changed where most tyees or close to tyee are released. A lot due to education and pressure from the lodges. Good on them.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
That is a good attitude for sure. Nice to keep but it doesn't have to be 100% of the time.

One thing I've seen change over the past 2-3 years is Haida Gwaii. Before this time, most tyees were kept. Now that has changed where most tyees or close to tyee are released. A lot due to education and pressure from the lodges. Good on them.
Yes.. They actually BOO you at one lodge up in Langara if you keep a big one. Thats not my style either. It's your license do what you wish. I 100% get the drive to keep big ones. It's really something deep inside. In the end though I really believe the individual fisherman should do as he/she see fit. Same applies to limits. So many bigger issues to deal with. Rec fishermen are nothing in the big Scheme of things when it comes to pure numbers.

I do wonder sometimes though if certain BIG fish are scientifically destined to always have off spring that become 5,6,7 year old returning fish. I would love to see the actually science on that.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Much bigger concerns are nets and Seals, Sea Lions. I am very concerned about the rock slide as well but have mixed feelings about it. If we as humans caused it, then perhaps its up to us to fix it. If it was a naturally occurring scenario then perhaps best to leave it? Still confused on that one.
We should fix the rock slide whether it was caused by man or nature. The meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs wasn't man made, doesn't mean it was a good thing...

I feel the same about our rivers here in AB. We know they are undergoing a natural dying process(silting in etc) but refuse to do anything to help them because it is natural(and at the same time refuse to understand why fish stocks are being affected...).