Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-18-2019, 12:03 PM

Default Crazy neck tension, unable to pull bullets.

Had one of my reloading friends call and ask to borrow my rcbs bullet puller. He loaded some test rounds and on the first firing the case split so he decided to pull them. He was using Barnes TTSX bullets with lapua brass and couldn’t get them out with his handheld hammer puller. I went over with my rcbs puller and it was all you could do to pull these bullets to the point that the table sounded like it was going to split and the bullet would slip out of the puller. I check his dies and we measured his bullets and they were both correct.

Anyone have any ideas on what is going on with his neck tension. His theory is that barns bullets are to hard to have the puller be able to bite in but I showed him how easily it pulls other factory loads and it was biting into the bullets on his rounds so hard it was damaging them.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:26 PM

Sounds like he used something wrong.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:31 PM

If the seating die is turned down far enough he may be getting a crimp, which will make pulling the bullets really tough. If that isn't the cause then there is something seriously wrong with the set-up. Measure the neck diameter after sizing and before seating bullet then with the bullets to ensure right size. This will tell you how much neck tension you have. If not the issue, anneal the necks or use new brass. It is NOT the Barnes bullets that are causing the issue, it is definitely something else.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:11 PM

If he crimped into the grooves, they will be difficult to pull. If they aren't crimped, push them in a bit more with the seating die to break them loose.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-18-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:48 PM
Banned

I use hornady puller, never had issues with any kind of load crimped or not they come apart. Seating dies only have a roll crimp which does not really crimp it just rolls the edge into the groove.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:01 PM

Unless he is inadvertently crimping the bullets are “cold welded” to the brass. Take them and seat them slightly deeper and then pull them.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-18-2019, 06:24 PM

We are going to try seating them Deeper to pull but I tryed that the other night and it made not much of a difference. We’re going to try full length resizing(as he always does) and annealing the brass I was looking for a crimp and didn’t see one it when I was over last night but will give a closer look when I go over again. He recently changed the expander ball on that die and I measured it measured .3065 it was a replacement from rcbs for an rcbs die. This is a head scratcher for sure I thought the table was going to break or the head/rim was going to fail we were putting a lot of pressure on it trying to pull them.

Last edited by Dubious; 04-18-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Unless he is inadvertently crimping the bullets are “cold welded” to the brass. Take them and seat them slightly deeper and then pull them.

that would be my thoughts also
Old 04-22-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
We are going to try seating them Deeper to pull but I tryed that the other night and it made not much of a difference. We’re going to try full length resizing(as he always does) and annealing the brass I was looking for a crimp and didn’t see one it when I was over last night but will give a closer look when I go over again. He recently changed the expander ball on that die and I measured it measured .3065 it was a replacement from rcbs for an rcbs die. This is a head scratcher for sure I thought the table was going to break or the head/rim was going to fail we were putting a lot of pressure on it trying to pull them.
Just a question .. were the inside case necks cleaned with a metal brush just prior to bullet seating ?
Old 04-22-2019, 10:05 AM

So Dubious, what was the upshot of this? Be interested to know what you figured out.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:17 AM

The other side to this is that inertia pullers, as a general rule, suck.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-22-2019, 11:47 AM

These could be cold welded. The jacket can bond to the inside of the neck. If you seat them a tad more and hear a audible pop this likely has happened. It will drive up pressures too
Old 04-22-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
So Dubious, what was the upshot of this? Be interested to know what you figured out.
He said he annealed the brass and the problem went away. I dont know if the brass was way over worked and tool hardened plus a bit of a crimp I should see him this week and have a look for my self. Either way such an oddball thing to have happen haven’t seen anyone else have this issue before.