Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-29-2013, 05:55 PM

Default Finally, took the Volquartsen's shooting....

The .17HMR was a blast to shoot and I am happy with its accuracy. Below were groups shot at 50 yards. Some were a 5 shot group, some were a 6 or 7
shot group. Can' remeber which one is which.

The .22 Lr on the other hand was disappointing. I didn't know Volquartsen made shot guns, I definatly had the improved cylinder in
I was using the Winchester 333's. I have some CCI and Federals to try out but at least I know the Wincherster Stuff is off the list. These were the typical groups I was getting.
I pray to God it's just the ammo

Old 04-29-2013, 06:36 PM

Which model VQ's?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 PM

If you want to see the accuracy potential of your Volquartsen, try some decent quality ammunition. If you are going to use bulk ammunition, you might as well shoot a 10/22. Those 22lr groups wouldn't be good for a stock 10/22 shooting bulk ammunition. Your rifle must absolutely hate those loads. Below are two ten shot groups fired at 50 yards with my Volquartsen, using RWS loads.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-29-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:54 PM

If you aren't going high end I've had good luck with Blazer rounds. They use the CCI rimfire primers far more accurate than any other "bargain" 22lr ammo
Old 04-29-2013, 07:41 PM

That's the kind of accuracy I was hoping for. I bought the gun as a lightweight Gopher Gun so I don't expect to shoot like that with hollow point hunting loads but I sure as heck thought I'd group tighter then it did.

260Rem, the .17 HMR is the Deluxe Model with the Sporter McMillian Stock. The .22 is the Lightweight model with the Carbon Fiber Barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you want to see the accuracy potential of your Volquartsen, try some decent quality ammunition. If you are going to use bulk ammunition, you might as well shoot a 10/22. Those 22lr groups wouldn't be good for a stock 10/22 shooting bulk ammunition. Your rifle must absolutely hate those loads. Below are two ten shot groups fired at 50 yards with my Volquartsen, using RWS loads.

Last edited by Bull's-Eye; 04-29-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:02 PM

There is no reason to discount bulk ammo. It can and will shoot very well if it and the gun get along. I could not afford to shoot ten thousand rounds of Eley or RWS a year killing gophers so I have concentrated on finding bulk ammo my guns like. To date Winchester Xpert has been the best all round performer. Good to great accuracy in over two dozen 22s, (though admittedly not on par with high end target rounds), inexpensive at $20/500 and the high speed hollow point does a great job on the gophers. I have quite a few guns that will shoot the Xpert into 1/2" at 50 yards. Keep playing with the bulk stuff till you find what your gun will shoot.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 PM

In the past I always had good luck with American Eagle 38 grain hollow points. I will test run those next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There is no reason to discount bulk ammo. It can and will shoot very well if it and the gun get along. I could not afford to shoot ten thousand rounds of Eley or RWS a year killing gophers so I have concentrated on finding bulk ammo my guns like. To date Winchester Xpert has been the best all round performer. Good to great accuracy in over two dozen 22s, (though admittedly not on par with high end target rounds), inexpensive at $20/500 and the high speed hollow point does a great job on the gophers. I have quite a few guns that will shoot the Xpert into 1/2" at 50 yards. Keep playing with the bulk stuff till you find what your gun will shoot.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:36 PM

E-mail Volquatrsen and ask what ammo was used to test fire your rifle. My .22 was factory tested with Wolf Standard which is sold in Canada as SK Standard Plus. SK High Velocity hollow points also shoot well in my VQ.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:45 PM

Where do you find that ammo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
E-mail Volquatrsen and ask what ammo was used to test fire your rifle. My .22 was factory tested with Wolf Standard which is sold in Canada as SK Standard Plus. SK High Velocity hollow points also shoot well in my VQ.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:53 AM

Airgunsplus carries some high end European 22 lr ammo. To be honest I have never bought from them so I have no experience on their service or shipping cost.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull's-Eye View Post
Where do you find that ammo?
Prophet River
Old 04-30-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull's-Eye View Post
In the past I always had good luck with American Eagle 38 grain hollow points. I will test run those next.
That's what I'm running in my 10/22 with VQ carbon fiber barrel, in hogue stock. Those puppies shoot very good out of mine, and for the price will likely be very hard to beat. Good luck.