Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Banned

Default Converting Mauser 96 to cock on open.

I bought a M96 6.5x55 for my wife, the gun is acurate and light but she is having real trouble with the stiff bolt throw caused by the cock on closing. I've heard that they can be converted to cock on open, but I've also heard that if done improperly you can end up with a rough bolt throw. I dont know what this would cost or who does this type of work, does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 PM

I've seen a couple kits for doing that conversion but have no experience with them.

I just put a Timney trigger in my M96... it might be my imagination, but I would swear the bolt closes easier with the new trigger then it did with the old one. I'll let you know after I get out to the range to test the new trigger.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 PM

I just did one in a 96 husky really a pia! You have to modify the bolt by cuting a V shaped groove into the bolt body then file the right angle for the cocking piece to slide into position. The instructions are really bad, the kit was $90 shipped from the US.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/786...n-opening-blue

I ordered direct by phone from dayton traister because nobody else would ship
One more thing the cocking piece was really rough unfinished right out of the mold.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:36 PM

Default kit

Daiton Traister used to make such a kit.not sure if they still ship to Canada?
Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 PM

i have a kit ,,,but i think u have to replace the trigger to an adjustable one kinda thingy (forget the name of )....the switch of parts didnt work on mine.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 AM
Banned

I decided that I'm just going to leave it. If she cant get used to the bolt then there might be a very nice m96 sporter for sale next fall.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:41 AM

Default "The best rifle for the money"

You mentioned that it was a sporter"ized"? Check the mag follower for a worn indentation that may interfere with a smooth closing.
And, yes as Gopher sniper mentioned, a Timney seems to have a better behaved sear, not to mention the great safety.
How well does the stock fit the little lady?
I actually prefer the COC bolt, straight-arm end of stroke trumps under yr nose gun canting twist.
Also wanted my handle here for when you turn that sweet 65 to market!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
You mentioned that it was a sporter"ized"? Check the mag follower for a worn indentation that may interfere with a smooth closing.
And, yes as Gopher sniper mentioned, a Timney seems to have a better behaved sear, not to mention the great safety.
How well does the stock fit the little lady?
I actually prefer the COC bolt, straight-arm end of stroke trumps under yr nose gun canting twist.
Also wanted my handle here for when you turn that sweet 65 to market!
Yeah, I dont mind COC either, god that sounds dirty. The stock fits her well, I think she could learn to love the COC it if she handled it more it more but unless she's killing somthing its pretty hard to get her to play with a rifle. I've got a "Bold" trigger on the way for it.

Still sounds dirty.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:18 AM

I asked the same question on a different forum a few weeks ago. Pretty much a mixed reaction but the conscensus was you can do it BUT results can be spotty and it should be done by a good gunsmith (as opposed to a gun tinkerer). I phoned my smith. He told up front that he could probably do it but he had never done one. Long story short, given the questionable result and the value of the firearm, I left it cock on closing. Like some of the other respondents, I don't mind coc.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:44 PM

I don't care for COC just doesn't feel like a hunting rifle, more military

I bought a 96 because I knew there was a conversion kit available I only wish I had looked into how it was done before I ordered the kit. When cutting the notch into the bolt there's no turning back, If I had to do it all over I would buy a 98.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Banned

I have a beautiful 96 too, but would like to install a removable magazine. Anyone know where to get one? I know there is a kit for the 98, but it does not fit the 96. I have spoke to a couple gunsmiths, but it would be a bit pricey to do.

It already has a bent bolt, and will be fitted with a scope shortly, but having a bit of a hard time finding the correct mount for it to fit the existing holes. It had a side mount on it.

Where did everyone else pick up your 96's? I got mine from Trade-ex.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 AM

I bought mine from Tradex as well

Mine was drilled for weaver mounts although the back one had to be modified for the charging hump and for the bolt lift. I had to use oversize screws in the back because they were stripped and couldn't be tightened properly.

I've never seen a mag conversion kit for a 96 they could exist though.

A 98 trigger guard won't work because the stock bolt spacing is 7 7/8" and a 96 is 7 5/8"

Last edited by bat119; 04-29-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: missed word
Old 04-29-2013, 12:31 PM

on mine that little slot ,,,from where the notch is cut was the issue..
the bold trigger will fix that problem...
everything worked ,,but when u fired it a peice of the trigger assembly would rise up into the slot and i coudnt open the bolti had to pull the cocking peice back with a plyer and then it would open...
so i just put it back to normal and it still works ok,,,just if u turn the shroud it will drop the pin...i could make a deeper notch there to hold it tighter...$O.02
Cal ..if ur interested in the piece let me know.