Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-08-2013, 06:30 PM

Default How Much Life Does a 60 Yr Old Box of Ammo Have Left?

Looking at getting an old Soviet Tokarev which takes 7.62x25 ammo. Historically there's been millions of surplus rounds lying around out there and you can still get a crate of 2280 rounds for like $350.

If I pick up a crate and sit on it for 30 years, making occasional range visits with the Tokarev, how many of those 1950s era rounds are likely to still work? Assuming I keep them corrosion free?
Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 PM

I've seen .303 dated pre WW1 that went bang when they were supposed to.

The key is storing it in a stable, environment. Cool and dry is the key, no wild temp or humidity swings.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
Looking at getting an old Soviet Tokarev which takes 7.62x25 ammo. Historically there's been millions of surplus rounds lying around out there and you can still get a crate of 2280 rounds for like $350.

If I pick up a crate and sit on it for 30 years, making occasional range visits with the Tokarev, how many of those 1950s era rounds are likely to still work? Assuming I keep them corrosion free?
Buy atleast 2 crates... When that stuff dries up it won't come back.

Ammo has a very long shelf life... I'd say 150 to 200 years if stored half ass decently.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:46 PM

In the 60's I shot some black powder .577 Snider rounds from the 1800's that worked just fine
Cat
Old 04-08-2013, 07:00 PM

Well this all sounds good. Now I just have to check if my range allows steel cored ammo. The only rule I've seen posted is no bird shot.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:10 PM

Im pretty sure sportsmens den has a fairly good stock of that particular ammo.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:14 PM

Plenty enough to kill game.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:03 AM

I have a crate of Tokarev ammo. I've been through a few hundred rounds, not a single issue. I can't predict how much life it has left but it still works like new!

I don't think you need to worry.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass23 View Post
I have a crate of Tokarev ammo. I've been through a few hundred rounds, not a single issue. I can't predict how much life it has left but it still works like new!

I don't think you need to worry.
Do you have that Czech machine gun ammo, or one of the other countries? I've been considering getting some new Sellier & Bellot ammo to break in the gun "gently". Gotta send away for it though, vs picking up the Czech ammo from a local source.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Do you have that Czech machine gun ammo, or one of the other countries? I've been considering getting some new Sellier & Bellot ammo to break in the gun "gently". Gotta send away for it though, vs picking up the Czech ammo from a local source.
I wouldnt worry about breaking in anything russian gently its built for abuse LOL.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 PM

Hornady makes bullets (86gr $15/100) and starline makes brass ($25/100)

Not as cheap as surplus but better than nothing.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:58 PM

Not sure what country it's from. 8 round stripper clips, white paper boxes of 40 rounds each, in a green wooden ammo box of 2280 rounds. Bought it from MilArm in Edmonton.

I agree with others, there's no point spending big bucks on new S&B ammo to break it in gently. That's like breaking in a new hammer on new nails...which is actually another perfect use for a Tokarev!

Quote:
Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass23 View Post
Not sure what country it's from. 8 round stripper clips, white paper boxes of 40 rounds each, in a green wooden ammo box of 2280 rounds. Bought it from MilArm in Edmonton.

I agree with others, there's no point spending big bucks on new S&B ammo to break it in gently. That's like breaking in a new hammer on new nails...which is actually another perfect use for a Tokarev!
Pretty sure that's the Czech stuff then. It's considered to be between 15-25% hotter than the other surplus loads. Steel cored, corrosive, banned by some ranges Things Military in Calgary has it too, or atleast their website says they do.

Might pick up a few 40 round boxes this weekend, and when the Tokarev comes in I'll wail on it lol.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:13 PM

I bought some surplus tokarev ammo from p and d on the weekend. It was not so great. 11/64 actually fired. There were 3 at least that were delayed. The s and b ammo worked perfectly.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCse7en View Post
I bought some surplus tokarev ammo from p and d on the weekend. It was not so great. 11/64 actually fired. There were 3 at least that were delayed. The s and b ammo worked perfectly.
Either you have bad luck or I have good luck. I've been through several hundred rounds in my Tokarev without a single issue.

I wonder the problem is light primer strikes? I've had that issue with a Norinco NP-22 and some surplus 9mm ammo while the factory 9mm worked perfectly. I put the surplus 9mm in my S&P and it worked without issue.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 PM

I would have suspected a faulty firearm if the new s and b ammo hadn't performed the way that it did. I examined several of the misfires, and the primers looked like they had been struck adequately. When I asked p and d about it their response was," thats surplus ammo."
Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Depends how much you got, and how much you shoot... The shelf life should be good until you fire the last round, assuming proper storage!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:51 AM

a friend of mine in new mexico has a case of sharps ammo that's original from the 1800,s he shot off some last August they all went bang , now he has the rest up for sale at an unreal high price
Old 04-30-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
LOL> Break in gently.
In Soviet Russia - we run out of ammo, use empty gun to beat you to death and take your ammunition. Buy German if you want to 'treat gentle'. Bah!
Pass the Voodka!
Old 04-30-2013, 03:52 PM

My dad was telling me he had a case of .303 that was labeled "Do not shoot in synchronized machine guns after 19xx" (some date between the wars). The cadets went through the whole case with only 2 misfires.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:35 PM

Lol. Well as an update, I got the Tokarev in the mail about a week ago. Sweet little pistol I have a box of the old Czech ammo, and a few boxes of Sellier and Bellot that I ordered. Gonna take it to the range this week.

After screwing with that spring clip on the side of the gun, and nearly sending the whole thing flying across the room, I don't think I want to be worrying about field stripping it after shooting corrosive ammo. So I'll leave the Czech stuff aside for now.