Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-09-2013, 08:22 PM

Default Who will ship a firearm?

I have a T/C Venture I am trying to ship for recall work. I tried Purolator but they said I need a "police permit" before they will accept it. Any suggestions on who will accept a firearm without a hassle?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 PM

Canada post
Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 PM

Default Post office

We ship all of ours thru the mail
Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 PM

Canada Post, tracked, signature required, insured. And no they do not need to know the item or contents.

Purolater is feeding you utter bs.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-09-2013, 08:31 PM

Canada Post

Ive used Greyhound.... ya ya, they dont allow it.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 PM

Thanks! Canada Post it is.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Thanks! Canada Post it is.
Got one in the mail today, actually , for the youth giveaway!
Cat
Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 PM

Smile Shipping guns

Canada Post. Who doesn't like getting guns in the mail!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 PM

have used Grey hound as well , just marked it "sporting goods"
Old 01-09-2013, 11:44 PM

Don't ever mark the package or let the shipping agents know the contents, the only things they need to know are the shipping and return names and addresses and the items value for insurance purposes. Of course this advice is only for domestic shipments. The best way to keep a shipment secure (not stolen) is to keep its nature secret, even modifying the packaging to resemble something mundane. Don't however ship ammunition, primers or smokeless powder as such, they fall under dangerous goods category.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:37 AM

Canada Post even tells you they don't want to have the packages labelled as fire arms.

I got a case in the mail the other day however that was pretty hard to miss, ad i've had several sent in big plastic cases in the past , no problems.
Cat
Old 01-10-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Canada Post even tells you they don't want to have the packages labelled as fire arms.

I got a case in the mail the other day however that was pretty hard to miss, ad i've had several sent in big plastic cases in the past , no problems.
Cat
Even a rifle case wrapped attracts a lot less attention now. Lots of tools are packed in cases that are identical on the outside to a rifle case...

We used to have a guy that came to the range on the bus with an SKS in a guitar case. Only problem was, it was a soft guitar case, so it basically looked like.................wait for it.............an SKS in a guitar case.

Strange guy, but then again, we had our share of...ahhhhh...eccentric people that used to come in. Ahhhh... the good old days...

About three years ago I bought a Series 70 Gold Cup from a fellow down east.

He shipped it registered mail, signature required. The putz that delivered it, put it in the mail box and walked away. Fortunatly my wife was home and heard him otherwise it would have sat there sitting half in my mailbox for anyone to take.

I kept phoning Canada post for over a week asking where my parcel was and they said it was delivered at first, so I asked who signed for it...which of course nobody had. They kept giving me the run around and finally I called the main post office in St Albert and told the guy in charge that I had already rec'd it and was ****ed the way that it had been handled.

He told me that they were contract workers and he had no authority over them...He couldn't give a sh.t.

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 01-10-2013 at 07:34 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-28-2013, 01:54 PM

Default Sporting Goods

Shipped rifle parts to a gunsmith in Montana to be worked on and assembled. Shipped through Canada Post and labelled the box sporting goods. No problem. I did have some explaining to do at customs when I brought it back to Canada.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderhorn View Post
Shipped rifle parts to a gunsmith in Montana to be worked on and assembled. Shipped through Canada Post and labelled the box sporting goods. No problem. I did have some explaining to do at customs when I brought it back to Canada.
When sending things across the border you can apply for a temporary export permit where you can have Border Services record specifics of the item to prove you had it prior to the temporary export. I had to do this once for a Volkswagen G-lader supercharger that I was getting CNC machined in the US.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
It sounds like you are very fortunate , for the gun to not be confiscated, and for you not being charged by the US authorities.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Canada Post

Ive used Greyhound.... ya ya, they dont allow it.
Greyhounds policy has changed. They now accept firearms in baggage as acceptable cargo.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 AM

I just tried to ship a firearm yesterday at the post office in Devon. The lady told me that I could not ship firearms! I told her that it was fishing gear and she would not accept it. I tried to tell her that I had done this before and that Canada post was able to do this just not ammo. She told me to leave and that people at Canada post did not want to handle firearms. Does any one know who to contact to get to the bottom of this?
Old 04-30-2013, 09:54 AM

Call Canada Post customer service.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado04 View Post
Call Canada Post customer service.
And when you do, remember to tell customer service about the attitude of the postal worker as well, it's none of their business if it's a rifle or fishing gear!
Oh yeah, and they are not "handling " fire arms just packages!!
Cat
Old 04-30-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaveyhorn View Post
I just tried to ship a firearm yesterday at the post office in Devon. The lady told me that I could not ship firearms! I told her that it was fishing gear and she would not accept it. I tried to tell her that I had done this before and that Canada post was able to do this just not ammo. She told me to leave and that people at Canada post did not want to handle firearms. Does any one know who to contact to get to the bottom of this?

Go to the Canada Post web site.
All the information is there for you to read, understand and follow.

I realize this is an old thread(January of this year) , but I read this type of thread on the CGN site and generally the ones crying "CP wont let me send my gun to xzy for repair or sold to a guy in BC" are trolls who are stirring up crap.

Do Not get me Wrong, I am not calling anyone who has posted a reply to this thread a Troll, but it appears to me there might be one or two who have nothing to do today or was that yesterday??

Tight Groups,
Rob
Old 04-30-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaveyhorn View Post
Report her, hopefully she gets either an education or a pink slip. But never mention whats in a package, all they need is a dollar value if you're getting shipping insurance. Naturally if the cargo falls under dangerous goods then it is their business, but this doesn't. Anyone knowing what's in your shipment is just asking for it to be stolen.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Report her, hopefully she gets either an education or a pink slip. But never mention whats in a package, all they need is a dollar value if you're getting shipping insurance. Naturally if the cargo falls under dangerous goods then it is their business, but this doesn't. Anyone knowing what's in your shipment is just asking for it to be stolen.
They'll likely make her a supervisor.

-Billy Molls