Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-27-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
1) If I actually expect a scope to require warranty, I won't buy that scope.

2) My hunting trips are generally a week long, and at least several hours from home, so even a week turnaround time won't save a hunt for me. For that reason, I always have two rifles with me on a hunt.
Your crystal ball must be amazing.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-27-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
X 2 .......For the difference it is a no brainer in my opinion.
Ask yourself when you are standing there with your rifle and no scope waiting and unsure when it will be returned to you should you have to send it away.....Oh yea this is long after you were bragging to your buddies about the great deal you got when you bought it.

Korth is less that a week in turn around and IMO that is worth any savings you may have.

Good luck with it......
So what happens if you have an issue with your rifle, it can take months to have a rifle repaired under warranty. Which is exactly why I always have two rifles with me on any hunting trip. As for having a scope fail under warranty, to the point of not being usable, I have sent two scopes that were damaged in use, for repairs, but they were still usable , so I didn't send them out until,after the hunting seasons were over for the year.The only two scopes that I have ever sent back for warranty, were Leupold scopes, where the magnification adjuster was so tight that it took both hands to move them. Even then, they were still usable. I have never had a warranty issue with any other optics product.

Quote:
Your crystal ball must be amazing.
So you actually expect to use the warranty for everything that you buy? Or do you choose products that you feel are less likely to be defective? Would you expect to use the warranty on an Echols or David Miller rifle?

I don't purchase any extra warranties when I buy a product, be it a vehicle, or an appliance, and I am many thousands of dollars ahead, over the last thirty some years. With the amount of scopes that I have purchased in my lifetime, saving even $50 per scope would have bought me several extra scopes.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
So what happens if you have an issue with your rifle, it can take months to have a rifle repaired under warranty. Which is exactly why I always have two rifles with me on any hunting trip. As for having a scope fail under warranty, to the point of not being usable, I have sent two scopes that were damaged in use, for repairs, but they were still usable , so I didn't send them out until,after the hunting seasons were over for the year.The only two scopes that I have ever sent back for warranty, were Leupold scopes, where the magnification adjuster was so tight that it took both hands to move them. Even then, they were still usable. I have never had a warranty issue with any other optics product.

So you actually expect to use the warranty for everything that you buy? Or do you choose products that you feel are less likely to be defective? Would you expect to use the warranty on an Echols or David Miller rifle?

I don't purchase any extra warranties when I buy a product, be it a vehicle, or an appliance, and I am many thousands of dollars ahead, over the last thirty some years. With the amount of scopes that I have purchased in my lifetime, saving even $50 per scope would have bought me several extra scopes.
I didn't realize any scope manufacturer came with an option to buy an extended warranty. What in the world are you talking about? Leopold warranty is much more than fixing broken scopes. I have had scopes manufactured by leupold in the 70's sent back to them for a complete tear down and cleaning. All free of charge and returned within 10 days.

Coincidentally, Echols and Miller treat their customers the same way.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-27-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I didn't realize any scope manufacturer came with an option to buy an extended warranty.
Does "everything that you buy" mean only scopes? Do you not buy other products?

Quote:
Coincidentally, Echols and Miller treat their customers the same way.
So how many people do you suppose choose to buy an Echols or Miller rifle, because of the warranty?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Does "everything that you buy" mean only scopes? Do you not buy other products?

So how many people do you suppose choose to buy an Echols or Miller rifle, because of the warranty?
This thread is about Leupold SCOPES. Or did I miss something?

More than you ever might imagine. That is part of what you are buying.

http://echolsrifles.blogspot.ca/

-Billy Molls
Old 04-27-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
This thread is about Leupold SCOPES. Or did I miss something?

More than you ever might imagine. That is part of what you are buying.

http://echolsrifles.blogspot.ca/
Oddly enough, I must have missed the part where the warranty was specified. Unlike Leupold, the warranty doesn't seem to be a major selling point.
As to scopes, the only scope that was singled out was the Conquest HD5.

So what has your link to do with Leupold SCOPES?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Oddly enough, I must have missed the part where the warranty was specified. Unlike Leupold, the warranty doesn't seem to be a major selling point.
As to scopes, the only scope that was singled out was the Conquest HD5.

So what has your link to do with Leupold SCOPES?
Holy crap.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-27-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Holy crap.
Exactly Chuck, when you purchase a top quality product,like an Echols or Miller rifle, you buy it because of the materials, the design, and the workmanship, not because of the turnaround time on warranty work. I doubt very much that most Echols or Miller owners are expecting that their rifle will require warranty repairs, and that they have considered the turnaround time for warranty work , before deciding on their purchase. I view optics in the same manner, I choose products based on materials, design and the overall quality of the product, and I won't settle for what I feel to be an inferior product, just because the warranty turn around will be quicker.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Exactly Chuck, when you purchase a top quality product,like an Echols or Miller rifle, you buy it because of the materials, the design, and the workmanship, not because of the turnaround time on warranty work. I doubt very much that most Echols or Miller owners are expecting that their rifle will require warranty repairs, and that they have considered the turnaround time for warranty work , before deciding on their purchase. I view optics in the same manner, I choose products based on materials, design and the overall quality of the product, and I won't settle for what I feel to be an inferior product, just because the warranty turn around will be quicker.
Wow. You need to do a little rereading.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
VX3 with Boone and Crockett reticle? What power range?
VX-II 4-12X40 LR Duplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKing View Post
I hope you live close to bass pro to make it worth while driving down there to save $100. Factor in fuel, coffee, food and time. Plus the other $300 you will spend while you are there and Mr.BassPro while be laughing to the bank.
Going through there soon on my way to Lethbridge... I should just call and have the guy meet me outside to make the sale though...hahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Leupy warranty service through Korth is exceptional, you'll most likely encounter a problem during or just before hunting season Quick turn around can save the season for you.
Worst case scenario, I break out the .303 with iron sights again and hunt with that. Little extra challenge. I Also will have a backup in the near future for any draws I get... but I'm at least two years off that.