Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-28-2013, 08:47 AM

Default Finally got the new 686 White Onyx out

We had a group together yesterday, Threw out a couple of boxes of clays. That new Beretta I picked up is AWESOME! I just wish the operator could match it... lol
Burned through quite a jag of ammo, I am very happy with the Beretta, the only thing I struggled with is the safety resetting every time you break the action to reload. I was taught an open gun is safe and to lock it when you are ready to shoot. I missed a few flights with the safety on, lol. Guess I'll just have to keep hammering rounds through it until its automatic to remove safety every time.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fat2flyxcw View Post
Burned through quite a jag of ammo, I am very happy with the Beretta, the only thing I struggled with is the safety resetting every time you break the action to reload. .
Are u serious.... when did the Lawyers get a Revamp of Beretta...I think the Ruger Red Label had this too,,,what a pain it was for clay shooters... I remember sum using the electrical tape on them....

It will make an excellent shotgun fer hunting,, keep the round count low and it will last a life time ...
Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeviation View Post
Are u serious.... when did the Lawyers get a Revamp of Beretta...I think the Ruger Red Label had this too,,,what a pain it was for clay shooters... I remember sum using the electrical tape on them....

It will make an excellent shotgun fer hunting,, keep the round count low and it will last a life time ...
Auto safeties have been around for over 100 years.
My Bland and Sons was made in 1899 , and it has an auto safety on it, same as my 1894 Remington SXS.
Beretta has been incorporating automatic safeties themselves for a very , very long time, even before they were importing to North America.

Cat
Old 04-28-2013, 12:29 PM

AInt it nice to be edumacated from time to time ,,,Thanks Cat
Old 04-28-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeviation View Post
AInt it nice to be edumacated from time to time ,,,Thanks Cat
I hate an auto safety myself, but mostly it gets in the way on a skeet and trap field for some reason, and rarely in a hunting situation for some reason.
The most ridiculous thing I have seen in recent times however, is a safety on a hammer double!!
None of my vintage hammer guns have safeties on them, but it seems every
new hammer gun has one - that is what the danged hammers are for!!
Cat
Old 04-28-2013, 04:22 PM

Default Auto safeties

I guess I'll have to get used to it or find a work around. The 687 sp sporting that was out with us did not have this inconvenient feature.
And I'm not too worried a out round count, I won't be a frequent shooter, but I'm going to shoot the heck out when given a chance! Lol
Old 04-28-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I hate an auto safety myself, but mostly it gets in the way on a skeet and trap field for some reason, and rarely in a hunting situation for some reason.
I don't see the point of the automatic safeties either, if you are responsible enough to operate a firearm, you should be responsible enough to put the safety on when desired. If one of my trap or skeet guns came with an automatic safety, it would soon be disabled.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I don't see the point of the automatic safeties either, if you are responsible enough to operate a firearm, you should be responsible enough to put the safety on when desired. If one of my trap or skeet guns came with an automatic safety, it would soon be disabled.
Neither of my favourite trap guns ( BT99and Lefever trap) even HAVE safeties!!
As for my skeet guns, it's pretty much a force of habit these days , I'm not to inclined to mess around with the innards on my vintage guns....
Cat
Old 04-28-2013, 09:53 PM

I have the White Onyx in a 12 gauge.

I am used to the safeties now. I dont think I would want it any other way.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:44 PM

Yes, I researched what is involved in properly disabling the auto safety, and it doesn't look all that hard. But for the interest of my 3 year warranty, I think I will leave it and just get used to it. It's still fun as all get out!