Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 08:43 AM
Banned

Default Ford to make all electric truck - probably the F-150

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ck/2595515002/

"Ford Motor Co. confirmed plans to build a fully electric F-Series pickup, which industry observers called an unexpected move that protects the truck franchise against Tesla and other competitors.

“We’re going to be electrifying the F-Series — battery electric and hybrid,” Jim Farley, Ford president of global markets, said Wednesday during a presentation at the Deutsche Bank Global Automotive Conference in the MGM Grand in Detroit."

Certainly that means electric vehicles are shortly to become mainstream. One wonders what the take up will be, as I suspect range will be the primary issue. If it is the F-150, that eliminates a lot of fleet vehicles... maybe. It's going to be an interesting few years coming up.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:47 AM
Banned

maybe i'll put off my truck purchase for a couple years
Old 01-17-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
maybe i'll put off my truck purchase for a couple years
Or, buy one before it's too late.

Grizz
Old 01-17-2019, 10:14 AM

Default electric 150

I cannot wait for first electric 150 going into the oil patch and battery quits when truck climbs first high ridge with one foot of fresh snow in the foothills.
Goodluck ever considering running one in Alberta O & G industry. Most gas trucks will even power out when "tough get going" However the half ton of batteries you will need to carry in box should be good for extra traction.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I cannot wait for first electric 150 going into the oil patch and battery quits when truck climbs first high ridge with one foot of fresh snow in the foothills.
Goodluck ever considering running one in Alberta O & G industry. Most gas trucks will even power out when "tough get going" However the half ton of batteries you will need to carry in box should be good for extra traction.
What, electric motors product full torque at all rpms -- snow won't be the problem. The issue is batteries suffer from cold and load so you won't be able to keep your truck warm the rig pig way of idling it all night.

I am looking forward to a hybrid system i.e. diesel generator with the drive system being electric. Best of both worlds like a military grade ship or sub.

Plus electric trucks once charging becomes more prevalent will be awesome for rig work -- drive to camp, plug your truck into a solar panel, not paying extra $ for gas. This technology just needs to evolve faster.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:57 AM

I have said for a couple years the very next truck I buy will be a Hybrid.
Looks like I get to stay with Ford!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-17-2019, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Or, buy one before it's too late.

Grizz
very controlled low speed operation and potential for being extremely maneuverable based on engines and configurations

if there are motors on every wheel then the motor can rotate backwards and it can rotate instead of turn

also probably faster and no gas

Old 01-17-2019, 11:20 AM
Banned

I'm not sure which the best route is. In the city, and say inside of 250-300 miles, all electric is the way to obviously go IF you have a source of recharge at the other end.

Farmers? I think it's a no brainer. Hunting? Well, maybe, depending on where. The patch or forestry? Hybrid may be the answer.

As far as towing and heavy duty torque requirements? Electric will walk all over almost any other system. It seems that those that have at least the hybrids, that extreme low temperatures have not been an issue. Can't speak for all electric, but apparently there is more good news than bad on that front.

At any rate, it will be very interesting the next few years. Never thought one would see the huge move towards electric so soon.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:31 AM

Towing capacity and range will be the big obstacles drive 250K and stop for a 3 hour fill up? A trip on the Alaska high way would take a long time
Old 01-17-2019, 11:31 AM

A good friend just put a down payment on a Rivian pick-up 2 weeks ago.
https://newatlas.com/rivian-r1t-elec...p-truck/57395/
Old 01-17-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Keep in mind that the weight of a common 5.9 liter Cummins is well over half a ton dry weight
Old 01-17-2019, 11:38 AM

I wonder if they'll come with 1500 m. booster cables spooled in the back?
Old 01-17-2019, 11:55 AM

Reminds me of 1910 and all the warnings about gas engines....horses always started on cold mornings, unlimited wagon range with a barrel of water and a box full of hay

It will be great in plants and refineries but up on new lines where the truck is being used 14 hours a day non stop it will be useless. Try going through Northern BC in the winter. I carry extra fuel and I get around 800km (Hwy) in my F150. It is not uncommon for gas stations to be closed and there sure isn't any plug ins up that way. Now if the government mandates them so then great. But until I can get a 800km plus on the highway and recharge the batteries in under 10 minutes then it is of no use to me.

Now, granted most people do not travel these types of routes, in fact I would say 98% of trucks sold are grocery getters and pavement princesses but for people who actually need a truck to be a truck this is a bad sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldan Grumpi View Post
I wonder if they'll come with 1500 m. booster cables spooled in the back?
Won't need cables. Just pop a Honda generator into the back of the bed if your going out into the bush for a few weeks and you are covered. The rest of the year just plug in at home and start every day with a "full tank".
Old 01-17-2019, 12:16 PM

I like the way people say ....to charge it just take a GAS generator, or plug it in to the wall plug that gets power from a coal powered source. Diesel electric is CP or CN rail but burns massive amounts of Fuel.
One of my concerns would be recycling of batteries and metals from the electric motors..... Copper is usually melted in a smelter like the one in Flin Flon MB that is going to be shut down because of the Carbon emissions.

But my main concern would be in the case of a accident or a rollover. How do you prevent a battery acid spill and serious injury to vehicle occupants from acid. Not to mention the environmental issues with spilled acid and clean up costs by haz mat crews.
It's not as green as many like to think....JMO

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
- Bob Hagel
Old 01-17-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
But my main concern would be in the case of a accident or a rollover. How do you prevent a battery acid spill and serious injury to vehicle occupants from acid. Not to mention the environmental issues with spilled acid and clean up costs by haz mat crews.
It's really no different than an ICE vehicle. There's always the risk of gas/oil leaking out and causing damage. This is where all the crash testing comes into play.

Now something you have to remember is that typically there are multiple batteries in these cars. As in thousands of batteries, with Tesla they are about the size of a C battery. So even though there is one huge "battery pack" on the bottom of the car, that pack is filled with thousands of small batteries, spillage would be minor.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
I like the way people say ....to charge it just take a GAS generator, or plug it in to the wall plug that gets power from a coal powered source. Diesel electric is CP or CN rail but burns massive amounts of Fuel.
One of my concerns would be recycling of batteries and metals from the electric motors..... Copper is usually melted in a smelter like the one in Flin Flon MB that is going to be shut down because of the Carbon emissions.

Ya I have to always hold my phone upright so the battery doesnt leak...
Old 01-17-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
It will be great in plants and refineries but up on new lines where the truck is being used 14 hours a day non stop it will be useless. Try going through Northern BC in the winter. I carry extra fuel and I get around 800km (Hwy) in my F150. It is not uncommon for gas stations to be closed and there sure isn't any plug ins up that way. Now if the government mandates them so then great. But until I can get a 800km plus on the highway and recharge the batteries in under 10 minutes then it is of no use to me.

Now, granted most people do not travel these types of routes, in fact I would say 98% of trucks sold are grocery getters and pavement princesses but for people who actually need a truck to be a truck this is a bad sign.
Yes, there are limitations (right now), but it also requires a different thought process. Using a trip from Calgary to Vancouver with an electric car for example. YES, you'd have to choose your charging stations ahead of time (3-4 hours), but planning it around a meal, so with a 40min plug-in you get 80% charge, on to the next one (3-4 hours).

Yes it extends the trip time presently, but you'll see the technology advance very quickly. I know Big rigs are looking at removable batteries, so you drive from calgary to edmonton, swap batteries, and head back.

For ~80% of the population current electric vehicles could easily handle most peoples transportation needs. I know for my family, I could easily survive with two present day electric vehicles. The problem would be my 2-3 long trips (between 8-10hours each way) of the year, I'd either have to extend the driving time or rent an ICE.

My issue is the price. I can buy 2019 Golf (Base model) for ~23g, While a 2019 egolf (base model) is ~37g. I'd have to $14000 in gas just to break even (I'm not including cost of charging because I don't know that number).
YEs, I understand the new tech costs money, but selling more cars would prove the products.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:50 PM

I sure wouldn't want anyone I know around one of hese vehicles when tha batteries get busted up and catch fire. Maybe some of you have never seen a real battery fire or one explode. It aint nice.

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
- Bob Hagel
Old 01-17-2019, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
I sure wouldn't want anyone I know around one of hese vehicles when tha batteries get busted up and catch fire. Maybe some of you have never seen a real battery fire or one explode. It aint nice.
oh man... that sounds bad...

it could be almost as explosive as gasoline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbisRaEfsOY
Old 01-17-2019, 01:21 PM

You obviously know nothing about Haz Mat if you think that it's only fire and explosions that can be fatal.

- Bob Hagel
Old 01-17-2019, 01:27 PM

Yikes! Tesla thermal battery runaway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eFM9JJMH_0
Old 01-17-2019, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Yikes! Tesla thermal battery runaway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eFM9JJMH_0
The first comment is:

"
Tony P
1 month ago (edited)
The battery didn't start the fire. The car hit the gas furnace and hot water heater. I was there. The house is on the corner. The driver must have rounded the corner too fast...or is a really, really bad driver. Still a really bad driver."
Old 01-17-2019, 02:03 PM

Ford is in it to make money, if they think they can, they will. F150 is a sales leader they won't take any stupid risks with the marque. If any company can do this right it's the Blue oval.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243plus View Post
The first comment is:

"
Tony P
1 month ago (edited)
The battery didn't start the fire. The car hit the gas furnace and hot water heater. I was there. The house is on the corner. The driver must have rounded the corner too fast...or is a really, really bad driver. Still a really bad driver."
also they're using water so it wasn't a battery fire
Old 01-17-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlatvian View Post
drive to camp, plug your truck into a solar panel, not paying extra $ for gas.
That would be one beastly array of solar panels to get the job done.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:14 PM
Banned

Interesting thread... lots of points to consider. Accidents really bring up the possibility of some bad scenarios, but maybe they can minimize the dangers somehow... Im sure they've considered it.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
also they're using water so it wasn't a battery fire
So the furnace was stuck under the car shooting flames and gassing off?

The firefighter checked the Tesla website it recommended letting burn or dousing with lots of water.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:18 PM

If you want a Hybrid just go buy a Toyota. They have had them for over a decade, well proven, and Toyota reliable. The idea of a pure electric pickup, with their range limitations in this country seems kind of silly, hybrid, different deal all together.