Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 07:22 PM

Default Gun Safes

I am starting my quest for a new gun safe. My old tin can is full and I want to upgrade to a better tin can.

I have been doing the research (even on here.....), watching all the "why you need to buy this one or why you should not buy these ones" YouTube vids as well as reading up on the differences between Residential Security Container (RSC) and a true safe (who knew that most of it is just a rating....)

I am looking at a "safe" that will hold up to a 10-12 long guns, along with ammo, some personal items as well as what my wife thinks she can stuff in there. Fire rating is not that important (most if it is just a guess anyways) as it will be surrounded on two sides by concrete and will be downstairs. More interested in adjustability, guns are not all stuffed in one location so they get safe kisses (so twice as big as I need - min 24 gun), storage and quality. My guns are insured, so if the asshats want to spend some quality time trying to break in, I want to slow them down as much as possible.

Cabalas - made by Liberty - USA or Chinese made??
Browning Prosteel - Local sales and service
Canadian Safe - https://canadiansafe.ca/ - My front runner until they quoted be $550 for shipping....I know they are big, but that seems excessive
MGM Security - https://www.mgmsecuritygroup.com/mod...cts/rifle-safe - waiting for a quote, but like the double safe for valuables.
Fort Knox - will need to remortgage the house, but a nice safe.

Other suggestions, experiences or knowledge, feel free to pass it along.

Cheers

SS
Old 01-15-2019, 07:34 PM

Weight is important, especially if you plan on moving. They can be extremely expensive to move.

Go as big as you can if you have the room...there is always stuff to secure other then guns.

I currently have a Tin Can, when I move I'll get a good one, Fort Knox and higher end Brownings are on my short list. Fire rating is important if you live outside of town. Response times vary.

I did see some pics of safes after the 2016 Wild Fire in Fort McMurray. Nothing survived that. Everything inside was burnt or melted.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:42 PM

When I researched I found that there are very few safes that are any good especially when it comes to breaking in, fire and flood protection. Isn’t that why you would want such a piece??
Whole lot of fufu dust when it comes to gun safes.. A good safe is very heavy and the same in expense! Depends what your expectations are I guess. Good luck..
Old 01-15-2019, 07:43 PM

How about going multiple??? I mean having more than just one gun safe... buy the best safe that you can afford to keep your higher end guns and keep your lower end guns in a tin can “gun cabinet “ with bolts removed if possible...
Old 01-15-2019, 07:46 PM

I like the Costco Protector by First Alert ones. 350-400. Nothing fancy but they work well for me. Rather have two of those than a larger one for twice the price.i like that they have a back up key and not just a key pad.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:00 PM
Banned

The big ones really aren’t that bad to move around in your garage
Cabelas won’t deliver them though
You need to rent a power rail gate truck
Old 01-16-2019, 01:24 AM

You will get as good theft protection and far better fire protection if you build your own gun safe. Build a reinforced room from concrete or blocks with fireproof sheeting, a solid steel door with the proper reinforced screws/hinges, lock plates etc. If you go on line you can find plans for top end gun rooms. Will cost about the same as a safe and works way better, also, you can make it as large as you want.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You will get as good theft protection and far better fire protection if you build your own gun safe. Build a reinforced room from concrete or blocks with fireproof sheeting, a solid steel door with the proper reinforced screws/hinges, lock plates etc. If you go on line you can find plans for top end gun rooms. Will cost about the same as a safe and works way better, also, you can make it as large as you want.
Agreed, most safes are built pretty shoddy when you actually loook at them.
Gyprock orncement board for fireproofing the safe ....give me a break.

You can put a lock on a bedroom closet and it’s not a safe...easy and cheap.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:28 AM

Default Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I like the Costco Protector by First Alert ones. 350-400. Nothing fancy but they work well for me. Rather have two of those than a larger one for twice the price.i like that they have a back up key and not just a key pad.
I had a Costco gun safe. Keypad and key lock died after 8years.
Phoned Costco and they told me to return it for full refund.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:33 AM
AO Sponsor

Browning safe prices include delivery to the curb.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:40 PM

Speaking from experience having our house lost in the 2016 fire I believe a lot comes down to Safe placement as well. I had a 16 gun Stack on safe located in my basement bordered with 2 concrete walls. My house was a complete loss, ,my guns were a complete loss however they were in much better shape then 95% of the guns I seen come from the fire. Regardless if your safe is "fire Rated" or not I don't think anyone is willing to take the risk of firing your firearm after its went through a house fire. Insurance was actually very good to deal with regarding my Rifles I had a detailed list of everything I had.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfraser View Post
Pretty hard go wrong with anything from Costco for that reason.
Got two myself I’m happy, obviously a steel panic room would be ideal but, just ain’t at that point in life yet, hehe....
Old 01-18-2019, 08:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
So how did you open it prior to returning it? If I read right the keypad and lock died. Or was there one key lock for the electronics and one manual?
Just curious cause I would be really impressed if you returned a safe that had to be cut open to get the contents out lol.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
So how did you open it prior to returning it? If I read right the keypad and lock died. Or was there one key lock for the electronics and one manual?
Just curious cause I would be really impressed if you returned a safe that had to be cut open to get the contents out lol.
That's funny right there!:sHa_sar casticlol:
Old 01-18-2019, 09:41 AM

My wife and I were dreaming about over the top stuff a while ago, and something came up that actually made some sense.
Basically, we would just build a walk in safe in the basement. Why not?
Wouldn't that be a cool option if you are building a new house?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:30 AM

Something else to think about. Maybe keep the old tin can for ammo. Ammo in a strong safe could potentially be a bomb if ever a fire.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:38 AM

In our house it looked like the Lead Melted before the Rounds Actually went off.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
In our house it looked like the Lead Melted before the Rounds Actually went off.
Good to know. Was warned once and didn’t want to risk it! Did you have any powder in the safe? Did it go off? Were all the rifles completely wrecked or was a fireproof safe completely useless?
Old 01-19-2019, 12:11 PM

Angry Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
I opened the safe with the key pad. Then when I closed it you could open and close the locking bars but they would not lock in place. Seems like something in the locking mechanism stripped.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
I opened the safe with the key pad. Then when I closed it you could open and close the locking bars but they would not lock in place. Seems like something in the locking mechanism stripped.
Ah I gotcha. Thankfully you could get your guns out eh!