Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 08:45 PM
Banned

Who came up with this Land owner tag idea anyhow??
Take backs are a tough nut....

I think it should be looked at by a WMU by WMU program.

I see nothing wrong with the Gov showing some appreciation to Land owners.
Find a balance.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:02 PM

I wish there were no more antlered mule deer landowner tags, turn it into a antlerless tag. A deer is a deer if there “ causing damage” I bet there would be less than half the applicants
Old 01-14-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Things change, lots of peoples lively hoods are wiped out every day. Funny you don't seem to whine about that. Resources are finite.
What a sad way to view other people’s livelihoods because you want more opportunity for recreation.

And I advocate for all industry in this province, regardless if I have a horse in the show or not. Whether it’s forestry, oil and gas, mining, tourism, trapping, farming or trucking, I want everybody to be able to utilize the resources we have available to us to feed our families.

That’s the difference between us, I care that your family has food on the table and you can provide for them. Never in a million years would I reduce myself to a bottom sucking level where I’d think it was ok to tell somebody “Things change, lots of people’s livelihoods are wiped out every day” and think nothing of it because I want more opportunity to pursue my hobby.

You should be embarrassed! If I ever said something like that my old man would knock the stupid right off my face ! God dam embarrassing to think so lowly of how another man feeds his family with dam hard work!
Old 01-14-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
What a sad way to view other people’s livelihoods because you want more opportunity for recreation.

And I advocate for all industry in this province, regardless if I have a horse in the show or not. Whether it’s forestry, oil and gas, mining, tourism, trapping, farming or trucking, I want everybody to be able to utilize the resources we have available to us to feed our families.

That’s the difference between us, I care that your family has food on the table and you can provide for them. Never in a million years would I reduce myself to a bottom sucking level where I’d think it was ok to tell somebody “Things change, lots of people’s livelihoods are wiped out every day” and think nothing of it because I want more opportunity to pursue my hobby.

You should be embarrassed! If I ever said something like that my old man would knock the stupid right off my face ! God dam embarrassing to think so lowly of how another man feeds his family with dam hard work!
Your worst then a bad actor when it comes to outfitting

Hard work.!! Jesus Murphy you don’t know what hard work is then. I have guided my man
Things change 100% like Alberta’s ever increasing population. I want my kids & my grand kids to be able to draw a tag in this province they call home. If it means the end of non resident outfitting so be it. But a antelope shouldn’t be a once in a lifetime etc etc
Back on topic I still support resident land owners getting anterless tags 100%
Old 01-14-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
“You’re worse” then a bad actor when it comes to outfitting

There I fixed it for you so you don’t sound like such a dullard !

Hard work.!! Jesus Murphy you don’t know what hard work is then. I have guided my man
Things change 100% like Alberta’s ever increasing population. I want my kids & my grand kids to be able to draw a tag in this province they call home. If it means the end of non resident outfitting so be it. But a antelope shouldn’t be a once in a lifetime etc etc
Back on topic I still support resident land owners getting anterless tags 100%
Again with the delusional thinking! This coming from the same guy who thinks Outfitters work 3 months of the year 🙁

If you don’t think guiding and outfitting is hard work then you must have guided for one lazy outfit.

Remember not everybody outfits for farmland deer bud !

Anyway, relish in your greed or however you have to justify it to yourself if that helps you !
Old 01-14-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Again with the delusional thinking! This coming from the same guy who thinks Outfitters work 3 months of the year 🙁

If you don’t think guiding and outfitting is hard work then you must have guided for one lazy outfit.

Remember not everybody outfits for farmland deer bud !

Anyway, relish in your greed or however you have to justify it to yourself if that helps you !
So are you admitting that every outfit that guides in the farmland have it easy?
Sounds like about 2/3 of the outfitters in Alberta have it easy then. **** I wish I netted 100K in for 3 months of window time. Since that’s what it says on APOS sight for average.
You must be ready for the titan games by the sounds of it
Old 01-15-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:

Good grief you are in love with yourself. Food on the table from a hobby.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-15-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Would you rather talk about the 6.5 creedmoor or a topic that actually matters?
No , you can throw that and 17 hmr's as a good coyote gun at 200 yds in with the mix ...lol.. as far as landowner tags go , there will always be those that abuse the system no matter what you talk about .. restricting the number of tags available in a certain zone is the way to go , just like dshaw talked about doing it with elk tags in wmu 300.The current rules for giving out these tags definitely needs some tweaking, giving tags to employees is a joke as well as being able to use them on rented land .
Old 01-15-2019, 07:37 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Snap Shot;3911831]Your worst then a bad actor when it comes to outfitting

Back on topic I still support resident land owners getting anterless tags 100%[/QUOTE

I’m not sure why your complaining about having to wait for an antelope. Alberta doesn’t have the numbers to sustain a larger hunt. What about the wait time for caribou here? It’s just about as long as musk ox. Just because you want to hunt something, it doesn’t mean the rest of the population should suffer. Wanna shoot more antelope, save your bottles and get a guide in the states. Landowner tags are available.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I’m not sure why your complaining about having to wait for an antelope. Alberta doesn’t have the numbers to sustain a larger hunt. What about the wait time for caribou here? It’s just about as long as musk ox. Just because you want to hunt something, it doesn’t mean the rest of the population should suffer. Wanna shoot more antelope, save your bottles and get a guide in the states. Landowner tags are available.
Non residents aren't hunting caribou and muskox in Alberta every single year with an outfitter like they are with pronghorn.
While our kids will never get the chance to hunt them in their home province. The province that they'll probably pay a lifetime of taxes to.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Non residents aren't hunting caribou and muskox in Alberta every single year with an outfitter like they are with pronghorn.
While our kids will never get the chance to hunt them in their home province. The province that they'll probably pay a lifetime of taxes to.
And the people coming here to hunt antelope, all 30 of them each year will likely never get the chance to hunt them in their home state either.
Whether they come here and hunt actually makes almost no difference in our kids odds of drawing, but it does bring in foreign money to our economy, which we need.
Just like your leopard hunt helped out an outfitter in Zimbabwe, remember when it was ok for you to take away a locals opportunity there while complaining about somebody coming here and taking away your opportunities! Yep, same thing 👍
Old 01-15-2019, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
And the people coming here to hunt antelope, all 30 of them each year will likely never get the chance to hunt them in their home state either.
Whether they come here and hunt actually makes almost no difference in our kids odds of drawing, but it does bring in foreign money to our economy, which we need.
Just like your leopard hunt helped out an outfitter in Zimbabwe, remember when it was ok for you to take away a locals opportunity there while complaining about somebody coming here and taking away your opportunities! Yep, same thing 👍
I would never trust an outfitter to look after a residents best interest.
And I would trust you even less.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I would never trust an outfitter to look after a residents best interest.
And I would trust you even less.
When I was a kid my parents taught me to share and not be greedy. I don’t outfit in Alberta, but me and my family hunt here as residents.
I have no problem giving up 10% to non residents so people involved in the Alberta Outfitting industry can feed their families !
I also have no problem with 10% of the harvest to going landowners each year !
That would still leave 80% for us residents, which is more then a fair chunk of the pie. If you were taught how to share and not be greedy I mean, unfortunately some seem to have missed that lesson, or they get it honestly because their parents had the same me, me, me, greedy mindset.

You don’t have to trust me at all Deer Hunter, your hypocritical opinion matters very little to me.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:16 AM
Banned

It goes like this. Every year I put out some bales (green feed) for when the deer come off the rut. They are gaunt and in my mind if I can help them fatten up to help them make it thru the winter everyone wins. Looked out the window today and seen 30 heading to where they bed down. This helps the elk and moose as well. The way this winter has been with the snow and rain the deer are having a tough time. The crust on the snow makes them easy prey for the coyotes and wolves (which I shoot at any opportunity). As a landowner who has on occasion received a landowners I feel I'm doing my part as I'm sure many other landowners contribute in much the same way.

For those that are against the land owners tag I have to question what you do to give back to mother nature to compensate what you take?
Old 01-15-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
It goes like this. Every year I put out some bales (green feed) for when the deer come off the rut. They are gaunt and in my mind if I can help them fatten up to help them make it thru the winter everyone wins. Looked out the window today and seen 30 heading to where they bed down. This helps the elk and moose as well. The way this winter has been with the snow and rain the deer are having a tough time. The crust on the snow makes them easy prey for the coyotes and wolves (which I shoot at any opportunity). As a landowner who has on occasion received a landowners I feel I'm doing my part as I'm sure many other landowners contribute in much the same way.

For those that are against the land owners tag I have to question what you do to give back to mother nature to compensate what you take?
Your like the deer whisperer good for you
Old 01-15-2019, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Your like the deer whisperer good for you
Far from it. Just was told by the the old timers is that if you're always taking and giving nothing back sooner or later you run out of things to take. Imo it's a small price to pay for something many of us enjoy
Old 01-15-2019, 10:53 AM

I'm not exactly sure how landowners can get 5 tags for their family, as mentioned earlier...to do that they would need at least 5 quarters of land, with each quarter having a different person on title. AND, they are only allowed to hunt on the quarter that has them specifically on title. OK, I am sure on how they can do it but that's a lot of legal work to do.

Oh, and they must all apply for the specific draw in that specific WMU and not be successful.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Congratulations and thank you Norwest! The Landowners Licences (including the Antlered Mule Deer tag) were created many years ago to recognize, in a small way, the huge contribution that landowners such as yourself make to wildlife conservation. These tags continue to serve that important purpose and are perhaps even more essential than before given the ever increasing pressure on the resource.
There is no question that some changes are needed to the way in which the issuance of these tags is managed but complete elimination of any of the categories, INCLUDING THE ANTLERED MULE DEER LICENCE, would be a big step backwards.
Oh, and by the way, crop damage etc has little or nothing to do with it. The notion that removal of a single animal, male or female, will have any significant effect on a depredation problem is absurd.

Last edited by 270WIN; 01-15-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:

The changes aren’t about landowners like you. It’s because of the abusers. The ones who put every son and daughters names on their “own” quarters and now the family has 6 landowner tags. This has caused the landowner tags to go up to 30-40% of the allocated tags in some WMUS and will only continue to rise. Not unfeasible that it could climb to 100% of tags in 20-30 years with the way farms are divided up when passed down from generation to generation.

Anyways, good on you for supporting wildlife and creating habitat. Like everything, the abusers will ruin it for everyone. Just like ATVs, if a handful of riders weren’t abusing areas and trashing creek beds and whatnot, areas wouldn’t need to be shutdown for everyone.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:

This
Old 01-15-2019, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
The changes aren’t about landowners like you. It’s because of the abusers. The ones who put every son and daughters names on their “own” quarters and now the family has 6 landowner tags. This has caused the landowner tags to go up to 30-40% of the allocated tags in some WMUS and will only continue to rise. Not unfeasible that it could climb to 100% of tags in 20-30 years with the way farms are divided up when passed down from generation to generation.

Anyways, good on you for supporting wildlife and creating habitat. Like everything, the abusers will ruin it for everyone. Just like ATVs, if a handful of riders weren’t abusing areas and trashing creek beds and whatnot, areas wouldn’t need to be shutdown for everyone.
As said before. Any and every system is subject to abuse. I don't think many landowners put the titles of various 1/4's I'm their kids name so they get landowners tags. That is a stretch of one's imagination imo.

You guys that are whining about landowners having tags would be better advised to look at the residency requirements.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:22 AM

It’s time for paid access.
If landowners can’t hunt your deer why should you be allowed free access to our private property?

If you think landowners are putting kids on title just so they can get a landowner tag you aren’t even smart enough to be the Prime Minister. Imagine the legal costs, tax, liability and other financial considerations involved with that. No stinky mule buck is worth that kind of hassle.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 01-15-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
As said before. Any and every system is subject to abuse. I don't think many landowners put the titles of various 1/4's I'm their kids name so they get landowners tags. That is a stretch of one's imagination imo.

You guys that are whining about landowners having tags would be better advised to look at the residency requirements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
If landowners can’t hunt your deer why should you be allowed free access to our private property?

If you think landowners are putting kids on title just so they can get a landowner tag you aren’t even smart enough to be the Prime Minister. Imagine the legal costs, tax, liability and other financial considerations involved with that. No stinky mule buck is worth that kind of hassle.
Some definitely let their imagination get the best of them
Old 01-15-2019, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post

I think some do but not for hunting benefit. Taxation yes.

Paid access you bet.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:08 PM
Banned

Last time I checked Your landowner tag is only good on your land
Old 01-15-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
That's the way I read it also
Old 01-15-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
When I was a kid my parents taught me to share and not be greedy. I don’t outfit in Alberta, but me and my family hunt here as residents.
I have no problem giving up 10% to non residents so people involved in the Alberta Outfitting industry can feed their families !
I also have no problem with 10% of the harvest to going landowners each year !
That would still leave 80% for us residents, which is more then a fair chunk of the pie. If you were taught how to share and not be greedy I mean, unfortunately some seem to have missed that lesson, or they get it honestly because their parents had the same me, me, me, greedy mindset.

You don’t have to trust me at all Deer Hunter, your hypocritical opinion matters very little to me.
No ir wouldn’t because we let fellow Canadians in to our draw systems for our coveted tags. Unlike every other province.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:39 PM

The poop flingers will disagree, but i think paid access would greatly improve the deer population.
People would go from passively improving deer habitat to actively improving it.
You can rent your property for any other reason, but not for hunting.
"But, but it will make it a rich man's game like in europe"
Hunt crown land then.
But why do you expect you should have the same access to land as the people paying for it for free?
Old 01-15-2019, 01:00 PM

I have never put in for landowners tags before but if there is a chance we are going to lose that option I will get one this year . I always have put in a draw like every one else . I have 4 years in now and there is two really big ones that have been hanging out for a few years .
Old 01-15-2019, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
It is