Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-26-2018, 12:22 PM

Default Info on Rolling Hills Reservoir

I thought that I would give Rolling Hills a try for the first time later this week. I'll be walking out for sure, but any info on ice conditions, areas to avoid, access points, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Is the gate to the campground open in the winter? Also, where does everyone target walleye through the ice in lakes they haven't fished much (i.e. points, flats, drop-offs, etc.)? I have a good bathemetry map of the lake. Cheers!
Old 12-26-2018, 10:16 PM

I target the same areas I would in late fall. Between 8-16 feet generally and a drop off is almost always a good bet if it’s connected to the right stuff.
I try to find weeds when I can and fish around them. I can’t help you on Rolling, yet I have a few pre-scouted spots from the bathymetric maps.
If I has little experience on a body of water in winter, I’ll start with the popular spots and try to get a sense of what the fish and bait fish do and prefer.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:47 PM

Spent the day exploring Rolling Hills. Weather cooperated but the walleye didn’t. No walleye landed or even seen. Tried multiple locations and depths 9’ to 25’. Only caught 5 small pike. Ice was in the 10” range. Gate to the campground is closed.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:43 PM

How did you get on the ice? Did you see old holes or tracks?
At least you didn’t get skunked. I’ve been at Eagle lake a few times this week and the Walleye bite is as weak as it gets. I had one check my bait out for about half an hour or more. Bumped it twice and probably mouthed it but I didn’t hook him.
It’s likely their not that active there either now.
Did you use a camera?
Old 12-28-2018, 11:46 PM

Is Rolling closer to you than Newell? The fact there so close might be why not very many, if anybody bothers going there in the winter.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:33 PM

Rolling Hills is about the same distance as Newell from me in SE Calgary (1.75 - 2.0 hrs), depending on exact fishing location. We first accessed RH from a n-s road along the east side of the lake, where we fished 2 separate locations near the deepest hole (12 m) in the NE corner (multiple holes at each location in depths ranging from 9' to 25'). Two other fisherman joined us in the NE corner about mid morning but they only lasted a few hours. We didn't see other evidence of old holes or even tracks - but it has been quite warm. Then we moved early pm to the deepest hole towards the southern end of the lake, which we accesed via wellsite roads and then along a trail (check out google earth). My buddy had a camera down in all locations and he only saw a couple of white fish all day - no perch, pike or walleye. I had a flasher and only marked a couple of fish that didn't bite. I missed a few hits on a tip-up which I assumed were pike. Water clarity was generally good - in the 10 -12' range. More exploring is needed to find those elusive walleye. Cheers!
Old 01-04-2019, 11:04 AM

I can find the walleyes there beginning of hard water season, but midway through the season I don't know where the heck they go!
Old 01-04-2019, 11:20 AM

I'm going to try the far south end tomorrow. Hopefully the wind will have calmed down. If I can't find the walleye I'll then head to Newell for some big pike. Cheers!
Old 01-04-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJPFISH View Post
I'm going to try the far south end tomorrow. Hopefully the wind will have calmed down. If I can't find the walleye I'll then head to Newell for some big pike. Cheers!
I hit newell during the day for pike, then walleye at rolling hills for night bite.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:34 PM

If I knew where the night bite might be at Rolling Hills I'd try that as well. Any hints appreciated!!
Old 01-04-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
If I knew where the night bite might be at Rolling Hills I'd try that as well. Any hints appreciated!!
They are pretty predictable right now. drop offs, deep spots, around the islands, points. Your map will help you out big time. typically ive been finding them anything deeper then 15', less then that the pike will get ya!
Old 01-08-2019, 10:36 AM

Did you get a chance to hit up the Rez?
Old 01-08-2019, 09:33 PM

Yes, I made it out on Sat. Jan. 5th. I fished the south end of Rolling Hills opposite the pump station. Drilled a number of holes in 10’-17’ fow. Saw a couple on the flasher but only caught 1 small pike. Moved to Newell in the pm - caught 1 - 6 lb walleye and 3 pike; biggest 16 lb. I know the walleye are there, i just haven’t found them yet. I’m headed back to Newell on Friday.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, I made it out on Sat. Jan. 5th. I fished the south end of Rolling Hills opposite the pump station. Drilled a number of holes in 10’-17’ fow. Saw a couple on the flasher but only caught 1 small pike. Moved to Newell in the pm - caught 1 - 6 lb walleye and 3 pike; biggest 16 lb. I know the walleye are there, i just haven’t found them yet. I’m headed back to Newell on Friday.
Nice! Ive caught walleyes around the pump station before. open water I can catch them there during the day, but ice fishing I can only get them to bite there at sunset. That's a pretty good day at Newell! I'm going there tonight to one of my walleye spots, ill let you know how I do.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:23 PM

Any recent reports? How did you do yesterday Crazy horse?

We were going to try there last weekend but with the thick fog on Saturday and there was open water when we drove by so decided to hit Newell instead and it was a pretty tough day. I want to try Rolling but don't know of any spots.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
Any recent reports? How did you do yesterday Crazy horse?

We were going to try there last weekend but with the thick fog on Saturday and there was open water when we drove by so decided to hit Newell instead and it was a pretty tough day. I want to try Rolling but don't know of any spots.
I did ok. First time ice fishing that spot. Caught 2 walleyes, 2 pike, lost a couple and seen a couple more on the flasher. They didn’t start coming in till about 5:30 pm. I fished till 7:00 pm. Fished in 12-28’ of water. Most action was around 18 fow. I’m going to go to the Rez sometime this week for the dusk bite.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:37 PM

I heard a guy say the Walleye bite is slow at Newell. He said he found some in the middle of the lake in like 30 feet. Said they would only bite if their minnows were head down, right on bottom.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:03 PM

Bit of a necro-post here (sorry about that) but figured I'd check on ice thickness for RHR. Are people driving on? I've never been, but assume access points should be easy enough to find.