Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
If Alberta joins Sask and doesn't change with the world you will find the time change affects you more than just setting your clock twice a year,

Trust me you will notice a difference
Every Saskatchewan resident will disagree with you. And former flatlanders like myself will attest to the ridiculousness of DST.

My favourite part of DST is in the spring. When you start working out of the gloom of winter and begin driving to work in the sunlight. Hapiness returns to our lives. Then there are the 2 weeks where the sun is right on the horizon, that no sun shade could hide. We just get past that; then BAM!!! Back an hour and into the darkness and depression. But just wait, in a month we can do the whole sun on the horizon driving with a welding helmet again. GOD BLESS DST!!!
Old 12-14-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
If Alberta joins Sask and doesn't change with the world you will find the time change affects you more than just setting your clock twice a year,

Alright why should I trust you?
Are you aware that only half the world follows dlst?

In what specific way will it impact me?

Let's say I want to know so I balance the pros and cons.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:02 PM

on Central (Saskatchewan Time and no DST) this is what sunup and sunrise would look like in Edmonton

On 20 June. 0304 hours Good morning sunshine. Get out of bed you lazy azz.

On 20 December. 1516 hours sundown.

That is loonie.

We are not Central and why in heck do you want the sun to get up so early in the summer and set so early in the fall? The idea of adopting Saskatchewan time is so utterly foolish I can't understand anybody agreeing to it if they understood it.................. and 2 hours diff between AB and BC?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:

When I lived in BC, the only time I noticed it was half the year when I drove to Alberta and my clock was out by an hour.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
on Central (Saskatchewan Time and no DST) this is what sunup and sunrise would look like in Edmonton

That is loonie.

We are not Central and why in heck do you want the sun to get up so early in the summer and set so early in the fall? The idea of adopting Saskatchewan time is so utterly foolish I can't understand anybody agreeing to it if they understood it.................. and 2 hours diff between AB and BC?
Then just use MST all year long. Issue resolved.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:

That is loonie.

Umm, we aren't changing time zones. We would be MST. We would always be an hour behind Sask. All year. No fiddling with clocks.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Then just use MST all year long. Issue resolved.
But the loonie Dippers want the double whammy of no DST and no MT. Not well thought out...
Old 12-14-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Umm, we aren't changing time zones. We would be MST. We would always be an hour behind Sask. All year. No fiddling with clocks.
No. You did not read the article.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:

That is loonie.

In the summer we are the same time as sask ..... we move ahead to match them so the sun is still rising at the same time no matter what.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
No. You did not read the article.
The article states that they want to ditch DST. It says they want to consult Albertans to decide which time zone to go into. That is like the second paragraph. I believe most would think MST to be the correct choice. Only one MLA has come forward to support CST.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
When I lived in BC, the only time I noticed it was half the year when I drove to Alberta and my clock was out by an hour.
BC is on DST they always 1 hour different than AB all year?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:17 PM

Hmm, kind of torn on this.

Personally I and probably many other people would like the change. A guy has to wake up in the dark either way so might as well have a bit of light left at the end of the day.

I do see the argument for the people that rely on the sunlight to do their work(construction workers etc) though and switching it either means they work later into the day, work an hour less or work in the dark for an hour.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
The article states that they want to ditch DST. It says they want to consult Albertans to decide which time zone to go into. That is like the second paragraph. I believe most would think MST to be the correct choice. Only one MLA has come forward to support CST.
Staying MST all year would suck, it is the equivalent of throwing an hour of sunlight away for half the year... Central time makes much more sense because then you still get to take advantage of the long days in the summer.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post

I do see the argument for the people that rely on the sunlight to do their work(construction workers etc) though and switching it either means they work later into the day, work an hour less or work in the dark for an hour.
I don't know many construction workers that work 8 hour days. Most would be working before the sun comes up and work after the sun goes down. What time that happens has no bearing on anything.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Staying MST all year would suck, it is the equivalent of throwing an hour of sunlight away for half the year... Central time makes much more sense because then you still get to take advantage of the long days in the summer.
Where does this hour we threw away go?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This is the only thing I could agree with...I like the extra light after work, adds extra time to hunting season.

LC
Oh I agree, but they have proven that they can screw up anything.
$100 says they screw it up by sticking us with standard time instead of savings time.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
In the summer we are the same time as sask ..... we move ahead to match them so the sun is still rising at the same time no matter what.
You don't understand the ramification. There will be 2 hours difference in the summer without DST and going to Central Time. The sun currently rises at 0504 hours in Edmonton on MDT. The dipper plan is to lose DST and MT in favour of Central Time. That will put the sun on the horizon at 0304 hours on 20 June in Edmonton. Smart as a bag of hammers (the dippers).

Edit............it's actually a PC MLA that's coming up with the hair brain scheme to adopt Central Time.

Last edited by CNP; 12-14-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
$100 says they screw it up by sticking us with standard time instead of savings time.
I agree. Stick us with the savings time format year round maybe? I enjoy the later sun in the evenings. Only way to go.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Thanks for that!
Old 12-14-2016, 10:45 PM
Banned

Old 12-14-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I don't know many construction workers that work 8 hour days. Most would be working before the sun comes up and work after the sun goes down. What time that happens has no bearing on anything.
Pretty much. I use the work light a few hours in the beginning and end of every work day as it is. I wouldn't miss the time change but I would love the extra hour in the fall.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Where does this hour we threw away go?
It would occur when 95% of the population is sleeping... Most people don't wake up for 4 and most don't go to bed before 9. Switch to MST and that is when the summer sunrise/sunset would occur rather then the 5/10 that we currently have.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
You don't understand the ramification. There will be 2 hours difference in the summer without DST and going to Central Time. The sun currently rises at 0504 hours in Edmonton on MDT. The dipper plan is to lose DST and MT in favour of Central Time. That will put the sun on the horizon at 0304 hours on 20 June in Edmonton. Smart as a bag of hammers (the dippers).

Edit............it's actually a PC MLA that's coming up with the hair brain scheme to adopt Central Time.
No you have it backwards. During the summer daylight savings puts us at the same time as central time hence why we have the same time as SK in the summer.

Going to central time leaves the summers as is. Staying mountain time would mean the sun would rise at 4 instead of 5 in the summer.

We are better either switching to central time or leaving things as we have them now.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:

I might be nuts, but if we copy Saskatchewan's time, sunrise will still be at 5:04am in Edmonton.
We are the same as them when we are on daylight saving. When we shift back to standard we are behind an hour.
Correct me if I'm wrong...

Edit... rav beat me to it. No need to correct me.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
BC is on DST they always 1 hour different than AB all year?
Fort St. John is out MST and doesn't change the clocks.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
No you have it backwards. During the summer daylight savings puts us at the same time as central time hence why we have the same time as SK in the summer.

Going to central time leaves the summers as is. Staying mountain time would mean the sun would rise at 4 instead of 5 in the summer.

We are better either switching to central time or leaving things as we have them now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I might be nuts, but if we copy Saskatchewan's time, sunrise will still be at 5:04am in Edmonton.
We are the same as them when we are on daylight saving. When we shift back to standard we are behind an hour.
Correct me if I'm wrong...

Edit... rav beat me to it. No need to correct me.
Ok.... for my own benefit.........as it stands right now, we are MDT on any given 20th of Jun. The sun will rise at 0504 hours. If we subtract one hour we are back on MST, as the dippers are proposing. So now on 20 Jun the sun will rise at 0404 hours MST in Edmonton. 0404 hours MST is 0504 hours CST. That is a fact. So if we move to CST with no daylight savings, the sun will rise in Edmonton at 0504 hours on 20 Jun. I stand corrected. Thanks for making me realize this I agree.....status quo (MST/MDT) or CT. It's just that 2 hour gap between AB and BC that is not right.

MST is UTC -7 hours. MDT is UTC -6 Hours
CST is UTC -6 Hours
Old 12-14-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
I don't want day light savings
Me neither. Especially with 4 young kids on somewhat of a sleep schedule. Completely destroys us for about a week. No need for it at all.
I find it interesting they were mentioning what time some we would land in. Haven't thought about it too much as to where I personally would like to see us in.

But honestly cant stand changing clocks
Old 12-14-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Ok.... for my own benefit.........as it stands right now, we are MDT on any given 20th of Jun. The sun will rise at 0504 hours. If we subtract one hour we are back on MST, as the dippers are proposing. So now on 20 Jun the sun will rise at 0404 hours MST in Edmonton. 0404 hours MST is 0504 hours CST. That is a fact. So if we move to CST with no daylight savings, the sun will rise in Edmonton at 0504 hours on 20 Jun. I stand corrected. Thanks for making me realize this I agree.....status quo (MST/MDT) or CT. It's just that 2 hour gap between AB and BC that is not right.

MST is UTC -7 hours. MDT is UTC -6 Hours
CST is UTC -6 Hours
There's a lot about BC that ain't right.....
Old 12-15-2016, 12:07 AM
Banned

I at least think it should be a referendum, not just the NDP forcing through one of their agendas that not everybody wants.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:08 AM

DST is a ridiculous system in a modern Albertan context. Changing the day of year for DST time change in 2007 was even more ridiculous.

I for one fully support and applaud scrapping this antiquated system that does nothing but cause people to show up to work an hour early/late or miss their bus/flight/conference call twice a year because their circa 2003 radio alarm clock changes dates automatically on the wrong day