Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-09-2018, 11:23 PM

Default Sako 75 experts! Help needed!!

So I recently acquired a Sako 75 SS in 260 rem. Love the rifle, the balance the fit, the smooth action, the trigger and it shoots lights out. Problem I’m having is with ejecting the empty cases. They keep hitting the scope tube and falling back into the action. Have tried 4 diefferent scopes set at different heights and different positions with the same results. Pull the scope off and the empty cases will fly well clear of the rifle. I can see though that the cases eject pretty much straight up. Is there a fix for this? I know there’s been ejection issues with 85s but didn’t realize 75s were the same. Help greatly appreciated!
Old 09-10-2018, 05:55 AM

2 things I may suggest
1. Change the geometry on the extractor and or ejector.

2 . Change rifle
Old 09-10-2018, 07:19 AM

It is generally the M action 85s that give the issues so I would suggest you have a mechanical failure not a design flaw. Many have solved this issue with a new extractor spring but the the whole kit including extractor might be a safer bet in your case.

Obviously a burr or dirt build up can cause the extractor to fail to fully engage the case but I am sure you have checked that.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:32 AM

I've owned a few Sakos and haven't yet experienced the ejection issues that seem to crop up for some people. I'm not sure that this is anything other than a weak extractor claw or spring.

In fact, never having dealt with this issue, so takenit for what it's worth...I would think that a stronger extractor spring should solve most of these issues as it will change the angle of ejection. The extractor spring on my Sako 85 rifles isn't exactly stiff, and I've wondered why they don't put a stiffer spring in there.

Last edited by SakoShooter; 09-10-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:50 AM

Where would one find a new extractor and spring at?
Old 09-10-2018, 08:00 AM

Western gun parts will almost certainly be able to help. Just find your part number first, a sako 75/85 standard extractor spring is part #s3302447 and the whole extractor assembly is S5940233

Last edited by SakoShooter; 09-10-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
2 things I may suggest
1. Change the geometry on the extractor and or ejector.

2 . Change rifle
Common issue with Sako. Changing ring height, if able can help.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:25 AM

There are upgraded springs available that are apparently stiffer but again, the ejection issue is not generally associated with short action 75s only medium and long action 85s.

I do believe your problem is with the extractor not the position of the ejector like with the 85 M and L actions however the cure should work equally well.

If you want to take the time to read this thread on 24 hour campfire it goes over the issues some are having and the cures that worked for many.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ics/6439384/13

If you haven't already, you should first remove the extractor and spring assembly, thoroughly clean and lightly lubricate. Inspect the extractor for burrs that might hinder engagement with the case and test it is moving freely when reassembled. If you have not done this previously, you have to be very careful when removing the spring. It is a flyer and hard to find.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:26 AM

Well western gun parts was less than helpful. They said no way they’d have one and no idea who would carry it. They wouldn’t even take the article number.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhaulerhunter View Post
Well western gun parts was less than helpful. They said no way they’d have one and no idea who would carry it. They wouldn’t even take the article number.
It tells you where to get the parts above in the link I provided.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:45 AM

That's a 12 page thread.

And yes, the western gun parts people have a well earned reputation for abysmal service. I've found things I needed there in the past, but it was never enjoyable.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:42 AM

I don't have any ejection issues with any of my Sako m75 rifles. I rifles in III, IV,V and SM actions.

Maybe try contacting Stoeger Canada directly for new springs.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:26 AM

Default gun parts

Found western gun parts less than helpful when I needed some trigger parts this summer. Found Numarch gun parts had everything I needed and were friendly and helpful. Parts came out of the states with no issues. Mailed right to my door for reasonable price.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer
Old 09-10-2018, 11:56 AM

I'm guessing only Stoeger or an authorised dealer would provide authentic Sako parts, there may be after market parts available, especially if it's a spring, but I have no experience tracking one down and can't be much help here.

I will say, Stoeger is also very difficult to deal with im my experience.

Hmm....I like Sako rifle and Leica optics...both notoriously difficult to deal with. Have had no warranty issues with either thankfully, but support for upgrades and parts has not been great, ie. trying to buy a new Sako quad barrel.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:44 AM
Banned

Brownells carries parts now. I had rps in spruce grove order them for me. Ask brownells who in your area can import and check with them.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:03 PM

For anyone else looking, Bighorn Sales carries the parts. Great to deal with and they say they have almost all bolt action parts. They don’t have a website.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:07 PM

I contacted bighorn, he does not carry Sako parts. Was told to contact stoeger Canada for the extactor and plunger. He did have springs that would work but not the rest. He was very quick to reply and even though didn’t have exactly what I needed he was helpful.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I contacted bighorn, he does not carry Sako parts. Was told to contact stoeger Canada for the extactor and plunger. He did have springs that would work but not the rest. He was very quick to reply and even though didn’t have exactly what I needed he was helpful.
Good to know! They said they had the extractor a few months ago but I understand Stoeger is brutal to deal with for parts suppliers so maybe they quit.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
That's a 12 page thread.

And yes, the western gun parts people have a well earned reputation for abysmal service. I've found things I needed there in the past, but it was never enjoyable.

Same thing happened with me and my brother. Went into their store hoping to stock up on some parts. Lady in the counter seemed unhappy that we're inquiring about the availability of each item that we need.

To be honest they have good gunsmiths, its the front end service that they seem to be lacking.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:32 PM

Well I got the new extactor spring, plunger, and extractor claw from Berreta today. I swapped the old out with the new and the rifle extracts and ejects flawlessly! Doesn’t matter if it’s loaded rounds, empty cases, cycling the bolt fast, or slow the rounds clear the scope perfectly and fly far of the rifle. Appreciate all the advice and would like to put out a special thanks to the member I bought the firearm from and his willingness to go above and beyond and making I ended up happy in the end!
Old 09-24-2018, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well I got the new extactor spring, plunger, and extractor claw from Berreta today. I swapped the old out with the new and the rifle extracts and ejects flawlessly! Doesn’t matter if it’s loaded rounds, empty cases, cycling the bolt fast, or slow the rounds clear the scope perfectly and fly far of the rifle. Appreciate all the advice and would like to put out a special thanks to the member I bought the firearm from and his willingness to go above and beyond and making I ended up happy in the end!
Happy it worked out for you..