Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2019, 05:20 PM

Funny how the dog is a mutt, cross, whatever you want to call it and no one is surprised by the "breed"
Old 05-13-2019, 06:34 PM

Let people have the dogs they want, but add accountability:

If your dog attacks is someone you get charged with assault. Seriously injured... attempted murder. Kills someone? 2nd degree murder. You want an aggressive breed and don't want to put the effort into training, you are accountable for that dog's actions.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Let people have the dogs they want, but add accountability:

If your dog attacks is someone you get charged with assault. Seriously injured... attempted murder. Kills someone? 2nd degree murder. You want an aggressive breed and don't want to put the effort into training, you are accountable for that dog's actions.
How bout aggressive kids? Throw mom and dad in jail?
Old 05-14-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
How bout aggressive kids? Throw mom and dad in jail?
Although I believe kids are largely a product of their environment, you can't own a child. A dog is your property, you should be accountable if you own property than can run on it's own and kill someone.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Although I believe kids are largely a product of their environment, you can't own a child. A dog is your property, you should be accountable if you own property than can run on it's own and kill someone.
If your mother got a cocker spaniel to keep her company, friendliest dog you’ve ever seen, it escapes the yard one day and kills a kid, mom should be thrown in jail for 20 years?
Old 05-14-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
If your mother got a cocker spaniel to keep her company, friendliest dog you’ve ever seen, it escapes the yard one day and kills a kid, mom should be thrown in jail for 20 years?

Throw her in jail just for owning a cocker spaniel.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:47 AM
Gone Hunting

Like everything else in life, there are exceptions when talking about dogs.

Some pointers will never point, some bloodhounds will never track.

Some people get Huskies because they like the looks, others get Huskies to pull a sled.
Some get Basset Hounds because they think they are cute, others get Bassets to hunt badgers.

Most dogs were bred for a specific purpose and many owners want that breed for that purpose.

It is impossible to know just how many pit bull owners wanted that breed because of their reputation for aggression. Fact is, even if that was their motivation they would never admit it.

That being said, I notice that I don't see a lot of Bluetick Hounds or Redbone Hounds in the Province. No doubt they can be as gentle and affectionate as any other breed.

In the absence of honesty what other option is there beside numbers based policy?
Are we to legalize fentanyl because people who use it claim it is harmless or do we count the deaths and decide there is no place for it on our streets?

Pit Bulls were bred to be aggressive. As a breed they have lived up to their reputation.

No doubt some will never be aggressive, no doubt some were acquired for reasons other then their breeding and reputation.

But like gun ownership, if your dog kills someone, and it can be proved that you did not do everything you reasonable could to prevent it from happening, you ought to be held responsible.

We are taught that all guns are to be considered loaded, at all times.
Why is it so hard for some to accept that Pit Bulls must be considered to be loaded weapons no matter who owns them or why they own them?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-14-2019, 12:23 PM

As a breed, pit bulls were never bred to be aggressive with people. In fact the dogs that were, were culled. Any dog can be a good dog in the right hands and any dog can be a bad dog in the right hands. We have now had a few rescue pit bulls and they have been amazing. The female we currently have was very unhappy with men when we got her. She growled and barks at my son whenever she saw him and wanted nothing to do with me. In Lloyd we have a brewery that we can bring our dogs into, so we do. The first few times we took her in there, she was very stressed. Lots of drooling, shedding and trying to hide from everyone on a couch. Fast forward a year later, she cruises around off leash and visits everyone in there, and is now my boys dog. Can’t watch a movie without her laying on top of him and she hugs him after school. I’m not against being held responsible for your dog, but I hate being told I shouldn’t have my dogs because someone thinks they have a right to tell me that. I’m not saying we are the best dog trainers in the world either, but time and patience does wonders
Old 05-14-2019, 12:49 PM

I like to think I'm a good Husky trainer. I've been around the breed since I was in diapers.
Like people, some dogs are different. I have one currently that is pure evil, the other guy is like most I've owned.
Just like people, know your dogs.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

Some people get Huskies because they like the looks, others get Huskies to pull a sled.
Some get Basset Hounds because they think they are cute, others get Bassets to hunt badgers.

Most dogs were bred for a specific purpose and many owners want that breed for that purpose.

It is impossible to know just how many pit bull owners wanted that breed because of their reputation for aggression. Fact is, even if that was their motivation they would never admit it.

That being said, I notice that I don't see a lot of Bluetick Hounds or Redbone Hounds in the Province. No doubt they can be as gentle and affectionate as any other breed.

In the absence of honesty what other option is there beside numbers based policy?
Are we to legalize fentanyl because people who use it claim it is harmless or do we count the deaths and decide there is no place for it on our streets?

Pit Bulls were bred to be aggressive. As a breed they have lived up to their reputation.

No doubt some will never be aggressive, no doubt some were acquired for reasons other then their breeding and reputation.

But like gun ownership, if your dog kills someone, and it can be proved that you did not do everything you reasonable could to prevent it from happening, you ought to be held responsible.

Why is it so hard for some to accept that Pit Bulls must be considered to be loaded weapons no matter who owns them or why they own them?
Good post.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-15-2019, 09:42 AM

From the US.

In order to understand the overall statistics for dog bites in America, it is best, to begin with the Pitbull. No dog carries a more heinous reputation, but are these fears clouded in myth or reality? Let us check the statistical period of 2005 to 2017. According to Canine Journal, an organization that compiles and analyzes all of the dog bite attacks in the country, Pit bulls accounted for 284 deaths in those years. This is a staggering 65% of the overall dog related deaths, at 433 Americans killed between 2005 and 2017. Another dog known for its brutal reputation is the Rottweiler. If you combine the figures for both dogs, you’ll find 76% of the total fatal dog attacks. These numbers may appear shocking, but they could say something else. Instead of arguing that Pitbulls bite more, one could say they are more efficient once they strike. Whereas a bite from a smaller dog might not be fatal.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
How many people here would be comfortable raising a small child in a home with a Pitbull?
A very good point,I for one would not be comfortable.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

Well Said.

When I was 10 my uncles German Shepard attacked me... 130 stiches in my back. I was play wrestling with my cousin. I actually understand why the dog did it... nevertheless the dog was dispatched on the spot. With young kids at home I just couldn't own a dog with the potential of inflicting major damage... sure there are little yappy dogs that may snap too, difference being my 10 year old actually would stand a chance against a little spaniel as opposed to a larger dog such as sheperd or pitbull.

That being said I support anyones decision to own such a breed, but believe that they alone should be held accountable if the worst does happen.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
From the US.

In order to understand the overall statistics for dog bites in America, it is best, to begin with the Pitbull. No dog carries a more heinous reputation, but are these fears clouded in myth or reality? Let us check the statistical period of 2005 to 2017. According to Canine Journal, an organization that compiles and analyzes all of the dog bite attacks in the country, Pit bulls accounted for 284 deaths in those years. This is a staggering 65% of the overall dog related deaths, at 433 Americans killed between 2005 and 2017. Another dog known for its brutal reputation is the Rottweiler. If you combine the figures for both dogs, you’ll find 76% of the total fatal dog attacks. These numbers may appear shocking, but they could say something else. Instead of arguing that Pitbulls bite more, one could say they are more efficient once they strike. Whereas a bite from a smaller dog might not be fatal.
Should we believe information from an Las Vegas dog bite personal injury attorneys site?

https://www.askadamskutner.com/dog-b...-to-dog-breed/

https://www.askadamskutner.com/dog-bites/
Old 06-29-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Noble View Post
As a breed, pit bulls were never bred to be aggressive with people. In fact the dogs that were, were culled. Any dog can be a good dog in the right hands and any dog can be a bad dog in the right hands. We have now had a few rescue pit bulls and they have been amazing. The female we currently have was very unhappy with men when we got her. She growled and barks at my son whenever she saw him and wanted nothing to do with me. In Lloyd we have a brewery that we can bring our dogs into, so we do. The first few times we took her in there, she was very stressed. Lots of drooling, shedding and trying to hide from everyone on a couch. Fast forward a year later, she cruises around off leash and visits everyone in there, and is now my boys dog. Can’t watch a movie without her laying on top of him and she hugs him after school. I’m not against being held responsible for your dog, but I hate being told I shouldn’t have my dogs because someone thinks they have a right to tell me that. I’m not saying we are the best dog trainers in the world either, but time and patience does wonders
Amazing. About 1 person in 4 knows how to read history, and discern fact from fantasy.

More people should read about Michael Vick's dogs.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-29-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Another case of keep a stupid dog win the ultimate prize.

People will never learn. Another few families destroyed for no reason at all.

What a horrible way to die. Think the kid will ever trust an animal?

Stupid.
That's it right there. Ridiculous to keep a breed or mutt hybrid of a dog bred to attack. Not trainable or versatile like the herding/guard breeds..... no real reason to own one at all.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroPhi View Post
That's it right there. Ridiculous to keep a breed or mutt hybrid of a dog bred to attack. Not trainable or versatile like the herding/guard breeds..... no real reason to own one at all.
Wow! I just read that! I'm sure upon rereading your post you'd notice the irony of someone against a breed, supporting another breed bred to guard against and kill predators.

Your bird dog has a prey drive, that's what makes them a good bird dog. Because he has a prey drive doesn't mean that he will be aggressive to any other animal.

Likewise, a dog can be dog aggressive, but not have a sliver of mean towards humans. If you read a few posts up, there was a fella that touched on breed history.

Read the story of Michael Vick's dogs. The story of about 40(?) of the most ill treated dogs in the country. Abused, caged, fought, and killed, and forced to witness it constantly even if they got brief respite.

They should have been the most irredeemable dogs in the world. Even pit bull proponents said that they probably couldn't be rehabbed. What happened with them surprised everyone involved. One had to be put down, due to aggression towards anything, or anyone. One was so badly injured that he had to be euthanized. All the other ones were successfully rehomed. A few had major trust issues that could not be fully resolved, but otherwise turned out to be great dogs. About 7 of them became certified therapy dogs. Meaning that they were deemed well behaved, calm enough, and well adjusted enough to provide comfort to children, the elderly, and in hospitals.

Hardly the killers that some would make them out to be.

Bulldogs were trained to fight bulls, too. Do people cross the road still when they see one of those lovable bull plugs with jowls trotting down the sidewalk? Not really.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!