Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2019, 04:16 PM

Default Is it legal to catch rabbit in city of calgary

Is it legal to catch rabbit in city of calgary, i mean ,within the city limit?
IF YES, WHAT IS THE LEGAL METHOD.
IF NO, WHERE IS THE BYLAW.
THANKS.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:06 PM

Well let's see. You can't shoot, snare, send your dog after it and not sure about a trap but I do believe you can catch one with by putting salt on it's tail.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:14 PM
Gone Hunting

easy to live trap.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-09-2019, 07:26 PM

You can only live-trap, not snare, and only on your own property.
Dispatch them on your property as well, preferably inside.
Call 311 if you want it from the horses mouth...
Old 08-10-2019, 06:51 AM

Preverably not using an arrow.There has already been 2 rabbits,left in pain.From some inexperienced archer,field point & toy bolt,from a hand cross bow.Dispatch them clean.Would make alot of people happy..Domestic's & jack's all over my area..
Old 08-10-2019, 07:28 AM

In Lindsay Park I forget what that recreational dome is called now they have lots of bunny rabbits that have gone feral or wild. I now see they have signs up not to chase. bother or let your dog chase these rabbits. I would hate to see Calgary end up with a feral rabbit problem we have enough trouble with the jack rabbits.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
In Lindsay Park I forget what that recreational dome is called now they have lots of bunny rabbits that have gone feral or wild. I now see they have signs up not to chase. bother or let your dog chase these rabbits. I would hate to see Calgary end up with a feral rabbit problem we have enough trouble with the jack rabbits.
More coyotes will take care of that.

Grizz
Old 08-10-2019, 08:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOOOOPS View Post
Is it legal to catch rabbit in city of calgary, i mean ,within the city limit?
IF YES, WHAT IS THE LEGAL METHOD.
IF NO, WHERE IS THE BYLAW.
THANKS.
oooooops about sums it up.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-10-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Exactly. And then the people who want to save the feral bunnies will complain that their chihuahua got eaten by a coyote, or got "stolen."

OP: FOOW is correct. I keep planning to live-trap some of the ones in my neighbourhood, but have never set the trap out.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-10-2019, 10:56 AM

Apparently Canmore has a feral rabbit problem. Uncle Ralphie said it best, ( Shoot, shovel, shut up), guess the coyotes got them all in my neighborhood.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:01 AM

Cars seem to work well for getting them. I hear jacks are tuff and don’t have a great reputation as table fair.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:04 AM

Easiest way to find out legally is call 311 in Calgary.

It seems the bobcats/lynx in town are doing their job, as I have seen the population go up and down in my neighbourhood, and only heard of one coyote in the past 25+ years. Have seen a bobcat in the past 6 months myself, and neighbours are showing me bobcat pictures for the past 5 years, mostly in the winter/spring. Currently all the big jack rabbits are gone (usually 5-6 around) and there are a number of very small ones around the neighbourhood my lab will cause to put on the run when walked - not chase.

I have a live trap, and have thought about live trapping, but would probably end up with one of the two domestic cats that roam the neighbourhood, probably.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Cars seem to work well for getting them. I hear jacks are tuff and don’t have a great reputation as table fair.
I've taken them out on the prairie a couple of times. They're pretty good in a nice stew. Gotta cook'em slow.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-10-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz Dog View Post

It seems the bobcats/lynx in town are doing their job, as I have seen the population go up and down in my neighbourhood, and only heard of one coyote in the past 25+ years. Have seen a bobcat in the past 6 months myself, and neighbours are showing me bobcat pictures for the past 5 years, mostly in the winter/spring. Currently all the big jack rabbits are gone (usually 5-6 around) and there are a number of very small ones around the neighbourhood my lab will cause to put on the run when walked - not chase.

I have a live trap, and have thought about live trapping, but would probably end up with one of the two domestic cats that roam the neighbourhood, probably.

The urban felines are Bobcats. No Lynx in Calgary.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
The urban felines are Bobcats. No Lynx in Calgary.
Yes there are.

Lynx and bobcats overlap range at the western edge of Calgary, right at the east/west treeline.

---------------

It's perfectly legal to live trap rabbits on private land (with permission) within Calgary City limits.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-10-2019, 05:51 PM
Gone Hunting

And cougars. There's a few of them around.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-10-2019, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
And cougars. There's a few of them around.
Cougar down in Fish creek on Friday. Shot one on the willow park golf course 2 years ago after it approached 2 cops sitting outside at a star bucks in the middle of a outdoor mall.

We are overrun by Bobcats here in Bonavista. Cats get killed in front of owners all last winter. Yet the do gooders here in the city seem to think this is ok.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Cougar down in Fish creek on Friday. Shot one on the willow park golf course 2 years ago after it approached 2 cops sitting outside at a star bucks in the middle of a outdoor mall.

We are overrun by Bobcats here in Bonavista. Cats get killed in front of owners all last winter. Yet the do gooders here in the city seem to think this is ok.
It is ok. Keep your cats and dogs inside if they can’t look after themselves.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Yes there are.

Lynx and bobcats overlap range at the western edge of Calgary, right at the east/west treeline.
In Calgary proper, it would be highly unlikely. Lynx nearly always stick to the boreal forest, and are not as adaptable to varied habitats as are bobcats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I think it's okay, too. Don't want your cat getting munched, then adhere to the responsible pet ownership by-laws.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Don’t forget lynx, bobcats and badgers Admittedly they tend to keep close to the natural areas, but if they run out of rabbits there’s always that ever increasing supply of tiny little dogs !
Old 08-10-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Apparently Canmore has a feral rabbit problem. Uncle Ralphie said it best, ( Shoot, shovel, shut up), guess the coyotes got them all in my neighborhood.
Why not eat? Their meat is quite good
Old 08-10-2019, 08:06 PM

Wink predators gotta eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
if they run out of rabbits there’s always that ever increasing supply of tiny little dogs !
Otherwise known as "bait on a string".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog eat.jpg (54.7 KB, 93 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-10-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
In Calgary proper, it would be highly unlikely. Lynx nearly always stick to the boreal forest, and are not as adaptable to varied habitats as are bobcats.

I think it's okay, too. Don't want your cat getting munched, then adhere to the responsible pet ownership by-laws.
"Proper"?

Does that include Disccovery Ridge, Oakridge, Cedarbrae, Woodbine and Evergreen?

It initially surprised me to learn how far west Lynx and wolves and G bears have reoccupied the land. After 20 years of hanging out on the Tsuutina/Calgary boundary and running into all these critters repeatedly and often following their tracks into the city, it is not a surprise anymore, just a happy day.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-11-2019, 10:53 AM

Wabbit Stew would love some. My grandma use to make it. Throw in some ground hog for beef and mouth is watering already. Big pot on the wood burning stove and slow cook forever. Sioux Lookout Ont. Best place ever as a kid. Anyone know where I can get some rabbit meat pies? Use to be able to get at the Flea market but not any more.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:03 AM

Rabbit is yummy for sure. It’s not illegal to hunt rabbits in Calgary but it is illegal to release a “projectile” also its stupid to do so- we all heard about the recent rabbit/arrow incident.

If you really want some rabbit;
Get a cage trap and lure them onto your own property or a property that you have the owners permission. Then do what you have to to turn Bugs into Hasenpfeffer.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post

You guys don't understand. They are taking cats and dogs off of leashes. Way way way to many around here. No fear what so ever of humans. Trap em back.. WAY BACK. Its a matter of time before one comes charging into a house to grab a cat. This is literally a big issue here. My best guess is that there are around 20-40 who frequent the area. They are a pure pest and need to be taken out.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:27 PM

Default Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Preverably not using an arrow.There has already been 2 rabbits,left in pain.From some inexperienced archer,field point & toy bolt,from a hand cross bow.Dispatch them clean.Would make alot of people happy..Domestic's & jack's all over my area..
Yes the blunt tips,are very humane--but not in the city--
Old 08-11-2019, 02:34 PM

Default Rabbits

If you can find a flat rock,on which you place one leaf of lettuce--Then heavy coat the rock with black pepper---The rabbit will sniff the lettuce,suck in the pepper,and make a violent sneeze,hitting his head on the rock for a humane kill--I can take no credit for this idea,The chinese did it 2000 years ago--good luck.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz Dog View Post

Just sell the cats!
Old 08-13-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
If you can find a flat rock,on which you place one leaf of lettuce--Then heavy coat the rock with black pepper---The rabbit will sniff the lettuce,suck in the pepper,and make a violent sneeze,hitting his head on the rock for a humane kill--I can take no credit for this idea,The chinese did it 2000 years ago--good luck.
Another rabbit trapping trick is to dig a hole and spread wood ashes on the bottom of the hole. Then you put garden fresh peas around the hole. When the rabbit comes to take a pea you kick it in the ash hole.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets