Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2019, 03:58 PM

Default Hunting dog trainer

Looking for some recommendations for a trainer to train our lab to retrieve birds. Around Edmonton would be great but we will travel for the right trainer. Lab is 6
Months old.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:03 PM

Red Deer gun dogs
Old 08-15-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatguy View Post
Red Deer gun dogs
Always interested in how many dogs a trainer has taken to Field Trial Champion or Master Hunter level, as that would be my first criteria when looking for a trainer, as it is much more objective than a personal opinion or recommendation. And, if the trainer did not take dogs to those levels, how many of his clients did? Ribbons never lie.

Any idea about how many Red Deer Gundogs has taken to either of those levels?

Just asking, as training ain't cheap, and there are really no "recognized credentials" in gun dog training like there are in most trades / professions.

Another thing I would be doing is starting a thread asking for recommendations on the trainer you ultimately choose. Even if people do not want to say things openly, I am sure you will get PMs. Nothing wrong with doing your legwork.

WWBirds on this forum (Whitewolf Gamebirds & Shooting Preserve)
Ringneck Kennels
Clubmead Labradors

I know all of the three above do great training. I have hired one of these trainers and had positive results, and I know others who have had great experiences with the others I mentioned. I'd be happy to chat via pm. It's all about helping people, as we have lots of great choices.

Better yet, attend a hunt test and/or field trial and ask around. I am sure you will find a good one.

Finally, Pixel Shooter one of our mods is a lab whisperer. I know some hire him for consults (training you how to train). I would start by shooting him a PM and picking his brain.

Last edited by sns2; 08-18-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:15 AM

Check out ringneck kennels in Strathmore, or drop wwbirds a note on here.

Or if you want to try it yourself there’s step by step dvd programs available to teach you how to do it yourself.

But please keep in mind it takes a considerable amount of time and commitment to train a dog for hunting.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:40 PM

Default RIngneck Kennels strathmore

little spendy, but Maunty does a GREAT job.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:09 AM

Do it yourself.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:22 AM

Default spring breedings

Most field breedings are scheduled/planned for fall to give new owners and pup time to bond train basic obedience and house train during the confines of winter months so they are ready to train in spring and be hunted their first fall. Not sure if spring breeding was unplanned or show breeding but your best bet right now is get as much water work in now before it gets cold. Make it fun and dont over do it so you quit when pup always wants more to build desire.
If you dont already have a good handle on obedience start with a closed off hallway (all bedroom doors closed) and from open end of hall get pup to learn sit stay mark commands when you throw a puppy sized dummy to end of hall. Pup has no where to go with dummy except back to you so you manouver them into "heel" "sit" "leave it" or "give" commands on leash. If you are right hand shooter all heels should be to your left knee. For more fun leave pup in stairwell downstairs while you hide dummy (under chair, on bookshelf at their eye level or behind something) and encourage them to "go find" when you bring them into basement. By the time spring comes you will have made up enough to continue obedience and field training to have dog ready for fall of 2020.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:23 PM

I have recently been in contact with Diana Meade of "Club Meade" the are breeders and trainers of labs mainly. Tons of experience and I have seen several favourable comments on AO on them. I believe they are just south of Edmonton near Leduc?
Old 08-18-2019, 03:44 PM

Maunty from Ringneck Kennels made a Master Hunter out of my golden and many others... It's pretty incredible what he can do with a retriever and just as important, he's very good in training you the handler.

I've worked with a number of highly respected field trial pros over the last few years (only because Maunty doesn't go south in the winter) and I can honestly say he's the only pro I trust a 100% with my dog.

Money well spent to have a dog that is going to be obedient and know what its purpose is for the rest of its life...