Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-14-2014, 11:04 PM

Default Thoughts about armed solo trips?

What are your thoughts about taking a rifle or shotgun on a solo backpack or canoe trip through crown lands? Interested in hearing from everyone. I have brought and I have not (bear spray and bangers were with me, for the have not).
Old 07-14-2014, 11:06 PM

Bear bell, whistle, Mare's leg.

Edit:
Most important : DOG !!!

Last edited by Fredo; 07-14-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:15 PM

I never go into the woods without a gun. Never expect to use it but always have it.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaMiles View Post
What are your thoughts about taking a rifle or shotgun on a solo backpack or canoe trip through crown lands? Interested in hearing from everyone. I have brought and I have not (bear spray and bangers were with me, for the have not).
Solo or not, I'm always packin'
Old 07-15-2014, 09:10 AM

http://fwp.mt.gov/mtoutdoors/HTML/ar...m#.U8VD5EWn24H

Bear spray works. Better than lead, from the statistics. I only ever bring a firearm if I am hunting. But mainly b/c they are heavy and the area I am hiking/etc. is pretty populated (Kananaskis area, etc.) and I don't need the trouble...
Old 07-15-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca Dog View Post
I never go into the woods without a gun. Never expect to use it but always have it.
Yup.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:33 PM

Default the bear necessities

When my wife and I are hiking off the beaten path I carry my guide gun - more for my wife's peace of mind than any perceived need I have. With the wind at my back its doubtful a bear will stick around. When the wind is down or in my face I try to make enough noise to spook anything I can't see down the trail. I occasionally bellow out Bob and Doug Mckenzie's call of the north if I'm blind or seeing fresh sign.

When there are people around the marlin stays in my truck.

It would be nice if we could have something like a trail carry permit. It sure would be nice to have something like a big smith on my hip.

Colin.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:54 PM

Even when I go to set up targets on crown land I bring my rifle with me for the walk, one time I got in between a mother bear and her two cubs, nothing ever came from it but I felt way safer.

Kevin
Old 07-15-2014, 06:43 PM

Not to bash kevlak's skills, but in my own experience the only time I've had a close encounter is when I'm not paying attention. Its happened maybe three times - only once seriously. Same thing, nothing came of it but a change of shorts.

I was probably due anyway

Colin
Old 07-15-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
Not to bash kevlak's skills, but in my own experience the only time I've had a close encounter is when I'm not paying attention. Its happened maybe three times - only once seriously. Same thing, nothing came of it but a change of shorts.

I was probably due anyway

Colin
The cubs came wandering out of the bush, then looked over the other shoulder coming over the hill there was the mama, If say over a hundred yds. I just turned around and walked away. It happens, I've come across them a few times target shooting.

Kevin
Old 07-15-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlak View Post
The cubs came wandering out of the bush, then looked over the other shoulder coming over the hill there was the mama, If say over a hundred yds. I just turned around and walked away. It happens, I've come across them a few times target shooting.

Kevin
Yeah, I was woolgathering. But mama was a bit closer. If something had happened it would have been my fault. .

They sure are cute when they're still too little to maul you though.

Colin
Old 07-15-2014, 07:45 PM

Its not the bears I worry about anymore! Had a nice size cougar follow me down the pembina south of wolf lake last week. Wind was on my back watched her follow my trail almost a quarter mile then I got up wind and let her know I was there!. Kinda hard to scout when your being watched!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:26 PM

There has been a problem cougar in that wolf lake area for a few years now.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:12 AM

Good to know info like that. I do a lot of solo fishing and Wolf Lake area is on my summer list this year. A few years ago, my dad and I were fishing the culvert on Wolf creek and got attacked by wasps! We were very happy the van was close by.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:43 PM

Default Be aware of where you intend to be going...

Otherwise one may end up on the list like this guy...

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/calgary...ar-lake-louise

Anyone heard anymore on this particular report?
Tight Groups,
Rob
Old 07-20-2014, 01:35 PM

just carry a back pack with your 10/22 takedown and if you happen to get in trouble 10 fast acting pills of 22lr can be put wherever there needed. and nobody will know your carrying
Old 07-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Banned

I always carry a gun while in the back country. If it was up to me I'd have one everywhere I go.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:11 PM

Read an alaskan study where bear spray was quite a bit more effective than guns....

that said, my 870 tactical brings a LOT more peace of mind than a little can.

carry both if you've got a canoe

3" slugs all the way, even 00 buck won't do enough damage to a big bear. F&W found that they simply bury themselves in the fat layer of a bear, and rarely penetrate to the vitals

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-21-2014, 12:12 PM

I usually just carry bear spray and make noise. Unless I'm actually planning on shooting something I don't really feel it's necessary.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:16 PM

More than one nasty cougar around Wolf Lake area. When I camp out that way I have a rifle with me. I have never needed it while camping but I always have it.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:34 PM

I always bring one when going out to crown land, ya never know if your going to come back to zombieland.. then what's that bear spray going to do?? Huh? Jk better to have it and not need it then to not have it and be **** outta luck.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:40 PM

Default Armed and not so dangerous

There was a episode on one of the "shooting shows" a few years ago where they simulated a bear charge by rolling a big ball down a hill and had the guy shoot at it with a handgun. These were experienced shooters who knew it was a ball not a bear! That ball didnt have too many holes in it by the end of the day!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:49 PM

30-30 usually comes along with me regardless what season.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:50 PM

I take my 12 gauge backpacker scouting, since I'm creeping along not making much noise. But two cans of bear spray are always on my chest if I'm in the bush, and they're my first line of defence. The shotgun is in case the spray fails to perform. To be honest a single shot break action with a 12 inch barrel wouldn't be my first choice for engaging grizz, but other guns are heavier.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:59 PM

I come from the other side of the outdoor world (mountaineering, ice climbing ect..)
Never even heard of anyone carrying a gun into the back country until I came on this forum, and we are talking about people that spend months in the back country every year.

It doesn't hurt to have it. It is just extra weight if you ask me though.
You can survive well enough with a knife if you get stuck somewhere.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:26 PM

I should mention that I bring my rifle along to target shoot while camping, I have bear spray with me and my dog. I sleep great in the bush and have never had an issue. With dog, bear spray and gun along I have some options if needed. I hope I never have to find out though.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:34 PM

I'm surprised to see so many people considering dogs as bear defence. I always thought of it as a liability. Dog goes bounding off and finds a bear. ****es bear off. Dog comes run in back to you, bear in tow. Is that not how it would go down? Maybe I've just never had a dog trained well for the bush though.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteland.soldier View Post
I'm surprised to see so many people considering dogs as bear defence. I always thought of it as a liability. Dog goes bounding off and finds a bear. ****es bear off. Dog comes run in back to you, bear in tow. Is that not how it would go down? Maybe I've just never had a dog trained well for the bush though.
Dog will know there is a bear in the area before you do.
Bears dont like dogs.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:47 PM

Right but once the dog knows, isn't it going to rocket after it? And won't the bear chase it back?
Old 07-21-2014, 02:48 PM

Having a gun if you are camping out alone seems wise. Personally, I've never carried a gun in the wilderness except while hunting or target practice because I don't want to pack the weight. Bear spray is lighter, and I'm more confident I can hit a charging bear with a plume of spray than a bullet into the vitals.