Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-19-2014, 09:17 PM

Default Marlin XL7 or ruger all American

Trying to get any information on these two types of rifles. Hoping the experience of the forum might help me out. I'm looking at a .243 for 2 reasons, to keep the hounds at bay on the acerage and also as a first gun for my son after he upgrades from the .22. Also where can you get a marlin anyways? I know I can pick up a ruger at cabelas and wholesale.
Thanks
Old 07-19-2014, 09:31 PM

Can't comment on the Ruger, although I've heard they're very good for the price point.

I have the Marlin XL7 in .270, awesome gun, especially for it's price point. Shoots and functions like a much more expensive rifle. Some day's I could shoot .80 to .75 @ 100 with federal 130 grains. Often better now with hand-loads and the rifle set in a boyd's stock.
That said, not sure how easy it is to get a hold of one.. something about the factory producing moved/is moving/was moving??

Poke around the internet and you can likely find some, not sure how likely you are to find one local, probably small chance.

The Ruger's are everywhere so if you want to get your hands on something quickly you probably can't go wrong.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Banned

Both should be accurate, the marlins have a blind magazine.

I like the stock on the marlin, but the ruger is probably a wee bit better.

I only own the marlin now; I just liked how it felt.

The last place I have seen marlins was at puds and milarms at least a year ago.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:37 PM

Default Savage

How does the savage fit in the mix? Nothing fancy, my hunting rifle is a 300 short so not wanting to spend alot for coyote/ sons first gun
Old 07-19-2014, 10:08 PM

Stock on the ruger is garbage on my mind. Savage 11 is a good gun.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeenabilly View Post
How does the savage fit in the mix? Nothing fancy, my hunting rifle is a 300 short so not wanting to spend alot for coyote/ sons first gun
If you introduce the savage in the mix of entry level rifles I found the ruger better.
This is with reference to the savage axis.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:52 AM

Another choice close to your price range is TC Venture. Shooters Choice has them at a good price point. They may have the Ruger in stock as well.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:00 AM

Default rifle

I have 2 Ruger Americans. A 308 and 243. The other AO member is correct about the stock not being great. The rifle is light and balanced. They are a hell of a shooter and the price is right. I can't respond to the Savage.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:15 AM

I can't comment on the Ruger, I do however own the Marlin XL7 chambered in 25-06Rem. All things considered it is a decent rifle, especially at the price. It took a while for me to find a factory load that groups decently but now I have the choice of three loads that will give a consistent 1-1.5" five shot groups at 100m. The fit and finish are ok, the bolt was somewhat stiff/sticky at first but all it really needed was a little polish with an emery cloth and to get broken in. One thing I really don't like at all is the blind magazine I much prefer a detachable mag or a hinged floor plate. I've gotten used to the blind mag and since the rifle was bought more as a second deer rifle and for my kids it really isn't an issue. Compared to the Savage axis I would have to say it is better built , the stock is better, the trigger is better(basically it is an accutrigger which is not available on the axis), and shoots just as well.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:37 AM

Take a look at the browning AB3. It runs around 600 bucks but is a top quality rifle.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 07-20-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRED View Post
I can't comment on the Ruger, I do however own the Marlin XL7 chambered in 25-06Rem. All things considered it is a decent rifle, especially at the price. It took a while for me to find a factory load that groups decently but now I have the choice of three loads that will give a consistent 1-1.5" five shot groups at 100m. The fit and finish are ok, the bolt was somewhat stiff/sticky at first but all it really needed was a little polish with an emery cloth and to get broken in. One thing I really don't like at all is the blind magazine I much prefer a detachable mag or a hinged floor plate. I've gotten used to the blind mag and since the rifle was bought more as a second deer rifle and for my kids it really isn't an issue. Compared to the Savage axis I would have to say it is better built , the stock is better, the trigger is better(basically it is an accutrigger which is not available on the axis), and shoots just as well.
Oh but it is, new axis come with accutrigger