Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-11-2019, 07:51 AM

Default High neck

Top factors that contribute to increasing the odds of securing high neck catches (closer to the ears) on coyotes with snares? If possible to affect?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:20 AM

Higher tie offs is the one thing I know helps.

LC
Old 01-11-2019, 08:57 AM

Higher smaller loops. part of the problem is a 25 pound coyote will likely be a different height off the ground than a 40 pound coyote.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:04 AM
AO Sponsor

Science is telling people that with the Senneker Magnum spring, strike location on the neck is basically irrelevant, the spring + lock is killing via occlusion of the carotid arteries. Also, in study, high neck holds are a result of coyotes backing up once snared.

Tying high can certainly increase the number of high neck strike/hold locations, but can hamper lock up and also encourage premature firing of the spring. It is imperative that the lock gains the best hold possible prior to the firing of the spring. Tying low can also potentially assist the spring+lock position after trigger release, but is a scientific unknown at this point.

With the basic common neck snare, no spring etc, tying high was a great thing, but today’s game is different.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:33 PM

Ive found that we get a better hi catch with stuff like Marty is talking about when the support collar holds the cable tight to support wire and makes the snare fire faster ... no bouncing its way down the neck to make a deep throat catch . A couple twists of the snare around the support wire also helps . A 10-12" loop is also better than 13-14".
Old 01-14-2019, 09:41 AM

I give most snaring systems an honest chance. Here are my findings:
1. You need a good lock. Not just a good lock. Best locks. I've tried many different locks not all are made the same. Ingredient for best lock hard metal and sharp teeth good rivet. Whether you file the galvanized locks or buy a good black lock (bridger) they both work well.
2. Solid support. I've tried many supports. Brass wire plastic tube spiral spring support. I am sold on the proper sized whammys. I like that snare loop close on the target, tighten, then setting the lock before the cable comes off the support wire.
3. With the senneker system tie low. I've tried tieing high med and low. Low works the best for that system.

I don't understand the guys that try and use a new or different system but fall back on their old way of thinking or setting. Then they get online and complain it doesn't work. Every year the same thread comes up where to tie? What system is better? Try a system give it a good shake. Keep notes on catches. Review the notes at season end. That's how you have an unbiased fact based view.

My opinion on snares

Bill