Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-19-2018, 02:04 PM

Default Stoney plain gunshow OCT 20 & 21

Edmonton CHAS gunshow @ Stoney Plain
Oct 20 & 21
Old 10-20-2018, 07:12 PM

Got there at 10:30 today, picked up a couple small ticket nick jacks, but boy howdy were most of the used rifles priced insanely high.

And the isles by the overhead doors were too narrow, I gotta wonder how much stuff got the old five finger discount! The narrow isles defiantly were a big take away.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-20-2018, 08:52 PM

No kidding...... Browning X-bolt Hunter 6.5 Creedmore, used, not bad shape, some wear and tear $1395.00. Comes with Browning scope rings. Same rifle brand new from Canadian Tire $899. As usual there were many examples of used rifles asking higher than new retail prices.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
No kidding....... As usual there were many examples of used rifles asking higher than new retail prices.
Yup. The prices on old scopes were just as bad.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-20-2018, 09:11 PM
Banned

After seeing the prices of the beat up Ruger #1’s I think I have to raise the price of mine!

I did buy a couple of those wool coats tho.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Got there at 10:30 today, picked up a couple small ticket nick jacks, but boy howdy were most of the used rifles priced insanely high.

And the isles by the overhead doors were too narrow, I gotta wonder how much stuff got the old five finger discount! The narrow isles defiantly were a big take away.
I've never been to a gunshow before but had some free time yesterday.

So I went without expecting anything. Ended up finding a VZ Mauser unmolested stock set w/metal. A nice find.

Didn't see the unicorn I was looking for, a Type 38 Carbine stock set, though.

The place was packed but people were friendly.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2018, 03:12 PM
Banned

Always fun looking at rifles but for at least 5 years or more now every time I look at one of these threads the story is the same....................used guns,scopes, etc. are to high priced. After all these years of high prices are you seriously thinking you are going to find a good/great deal?
Old 10-21-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Always fun looking at rifles but for at least 5 years or more now every time I look at one of these threads the story is the same....................used guns,scopes, etc. are to high priced. After all these years of high prices are you seriously thinking you are going to find a good/great deal?
There are deals, but they go quick, if something is really reasonably priced, other dealers will buy it from you and put them on their tables for several hundred dollars more. I had a few tables over the years at gunshows, always sold stuff because it was priced to sell. More than once at shows other vendors would get mad and tell me I'm selling to cheap, I tell them I came there to actually sell and get rid of stuff not pay for tables, sit there all weekend and take it all back home again rather than complain like they do that the show sucked because they couldn't sell anything.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:21 AM

The problem is, somewhere along the lines someone sold one of those horribly over priced guns and the word spread among all the other sellers. Now they go for years looking to find that unicorn buyer that will make it come true for them too!

I have seen the odd decent deal, never a spectacular one. I have however seen a ton of really crappy guns at inflated prices and a raft of loading gear at 160% of new. Can't go there expecting a garage sale home run. Not going to happen.

I enjoy gun shows to be able to go and meet guys, chat and wander. Gives you something to do on a Sunday.