Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2017, 11:42 AM

Default Loading boat by yourself

I am wondering how do you guys load boat on your trailer when you are alone?
Any words of wisdom would be appreciated
Thanks
Old 05-30-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hunter View Post
Thanks
Depends how big your boat is I guess...I have a 14 foot lund and can load myself. I just have to make sure I can rope it off on a dock or on shore after loading or unloading...I open my hatch on my van and can see my boat and trailer backing up easier....
Old 05-30-2017, 12:02 PM

I park the boat away from anyone else trying to use the load ramp drive the trailer into the water so the wheel wells are just sticking out of the water. Get back in boat back up get it good and straight and drive it in at idle with the leg up as high as possible. Just as I get to the trailer I shut the engine off trim up and glide into the trailer. Once on the trailer I crawl to the front and step onto my trailer from my boat very carefully and reel the boat up tight to the trailer. I then make sure the motor is trimmed all the way up jump in the truck pull out of the water nice and easy and get out of the way of anyone looking to back down the ramp. Then I do my walk around pull plug and finish tieing things down and putting **** away.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:35 PM

It's 16' speed boat
Old 05-30-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coors04 View Post
I park the boat away from anyone else trying to use the load ramp drive the trailer into the water so the wheel wells are just sticking out of the water. Get back in boat back up get it good and straight and drive it in at idle with the leg up as high as possible. Just as I get to the trailer I shut the engine off trim up and glide into the trailer. Once on the trailer I crawl to the front and step onto my trailer from my boat very carefully and reel the boat up tight to the trailer. I then make sure the motor is trimmed all the way up jump in the truck pull out of the water nice and easy and get out of the way of anyone looking to back down the ramp. Then I do my walk around pull plug and finish tieing things down and putting **** away.
This is exactly what I do with my 20' I/O.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iYearn View Post
This is exactly what I do with my 20' I/O.
Yep, pretty much the same here and I have a 16.5 foot Crestliner. Only thing I can add is tying up to the dock proper meaning both the bow and stern are tied off. Then one time you get lazy and only tie off the bow...sure enough...someone pulls in to offload or pulls off to launch. Then you really show that you are by yourself and you start annoying others....been there done that.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:09 PM

I hate climbing out of the nose of the boat and trying to land like a cat on the slippery and wet trailer rail being careful not to let the boat kick out or off as you disembark. Dangerous and unneeded.

I've tied my boat up on the dock, went to go get truck / trailer and back it into the water right alongside the dock.

I take the rope tied to the bow eye and tie the other end to the rear cleat and walk the boat onto the trailer (from the dock) leaving lots of slack line in between. I guess you can probably do this with two lines as well I suppose. With the two attachment points you can pretty much pull the boat on mostly with the front rope and can steer the stern with either a quick shove with the foot away from the dock or a pull from the line attached to the rear cleat if the rear end goes sideways.

If you don't have a suitable dock - I just get a little more wet and just do this from the water. I just avoid getting myself between the boat and the trailer.

Most of the time you can do this without even manipulating the rear line - and just pulling her up and onto the trailer in less than a few seconds - and often times, right from shore with a line long enough.

I pull the front rope pretty hard so she glides on but stops short of the bow yoke. The more momentum you have the smoother she centers up and wedges into the sweet spot.

The boat is somewhat wedged enough that waves wont knock it off the bunks or that it wont float sideways at this point.

Then I come off the dock and I go to the winch, attach the winch strap and wind the boat up the remaining foot or two onto the trailer. Usually the bow hook is only a couple feet short of the yoke/winch so I don't have to get anything more than my feet and lower legs wet. I don't like climbing on a wet trailer frame (I have bruised my shin quite severely with a previously learned life experience.

After the boat is winched up secure, I secure the secondary safety chain (and make sure the winch is locked) and drive it away and pull over and strap down the boat like normal.

***The real key to this (and launching and loading your boat conventionally with ease) is knowing and recognizing how much of your trailer is below and above water. On some trailer/boats this could mean "water to top of wheel well" ,or, in the case, like mine, it's when the side guide bunk rails are just "at the surface of the water and wheel wells completely submerged" (my boat is deep). Every boat and trailer combo is going to be a little different and there is a small adjustment to be made if the ramp is too steep or too shallow. It's all about observation and taking a mental note each time.

Last edited by EZM; 05-30-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coors04 View Post
X2, 17.5 ft Lund, 150 verado outboard. I have bunks, which allows a little more forgiveness in loading, but even when I have someone in the truck, I still do the same process, the driver of the truck doesn't get out.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:51 PM

I always have my hip waders along so I can hop out and either push the boat off the bunks if it is at a dock or pull it off via the rope and onto shore.

Same as when I load drive it up onto the bunks hop out with waders on and crank it up tight. I am assuming you have a bunk trailer.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post
X2, 17.5 ft Lund, 150 verado outboard. I have bunks, which allows a little more forgiveness in loading, but even when I have someone in the truck, I still do the same process, the driver of the truck doesn't get out.
I should clarify one point, I don't get out of the boat if there is a driver, I set the trailer in the water far enough that the boat glides up to the roller in the front.hoik the boat, hook the Safety chain, pull her out. No need to be a cat...
Old 05-30-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
I always have my hip waders along so I can hop out and either push the boat off the bunks if it is at a dock or pull it off via the rope and onto shore.

Same as when I load drive it up onto the bunks hop out with waders on and crank it up tight. I am assuming you have a bunk trailer.
Roller trailer
Old 05-30-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post
I should clarify one point, I don't get out of the boat if there is a driver, I set the trailer in the water far enough that the boat glides up to the roller in the front.hoik the boat, hook the Safety chain, pull her out. No need to be a cat...
Yeah us too - 2 guys make it quicker, easier, faster and both guys stay dry and nobody needs to rely on panther like reflexes.

I think the OP asked about launching or loading up solo. I have boat similar to yours, a Lund Tyee 18.5 and climbing over the nose sucks on that boat. Trolling motor, mast stem base, fish finder on bow, rails, and a long way down to the trailer for people with short legs.

I just found it easier to walk the boat on using the dock or just having enough rope on the bow ring to pull her on without going in too deep into water.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks
Personally I use hip waders and don't have a problem.

Here is a nice little video if you have rollers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkWMtqQBL5k
Old 05-31-2017, 09:35 AM

If you go on youtube and search loading or unloading a boat alone you will have all kinds of good videos. I'd pay more attention to those produced by professional captains or guides who do it every day for a living, not Festus the yokel in the "git 'er dun" sleeveless t-shirt, whose trick involves a bungey cord and a cooler.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:23 PM
Gone Hunting

I have two boats, a 14 foot boat and a 17 foot deep hull boat.

I often launch where there are no boat ramps, and I almost always load by myself. I prefer it that way. I've had too many experts insist I do it their way, which often winds up taking way longer then is I did it myself.

I simply tie up the boat, back the trailer in until the fenders are just under water, then float the boat on, usually about half way. Then winch it the rest of the way on with the trailer hand winch.

I've run bigger boats, in the river where powering the boat on works the best, but in lakes with no current, I like to float the boat on. Way better control and even with my 17 foot boat, it's easy to do.

The trick is, float it no more then half way on and no less then 1/4 of the way on.
If your trailer is too deep there is too much chance the boat will float to one side or the other. Too shallow makes a lot more work.

You want the first center roller to just touch the keel as the boat starts onto the trailer. This will stabilize and guide the boat without making it hard to winch on.

Both of my trailers have rollers. This does not work well with bunk type trailers.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-31-2017, 01:27 PM

One bit of equipment I recommend to make life easier when loading alone is a set of trailer guides. Our 22' pontoon can be a huge pain to load because I need to hit each pontoon perfectly between the carpeted running boards on the trailer.

First time out this past weekend alone and those trailer guides made it super easy!! I was 4 minutes (yes I timed myself) from when I started the truck down the ramp to when I was finished loading and pulled the boat out. Without those guides my time usually doubles. Windy days were horrible!!

I now can look forward to windy days on the boat launch!
Old 05-31-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
One bit of equipment I recommend to make life easier when loading alone is a set of trailer guides. Our 22' pontoon can be a huge pain to load because I need to hit each pontoon perfectly between the carpeted running boards on the trailer.

First time out this past weekend alone and those trailer guides made it super easy!! I was 4 minutes (yes I timed myself) from when I started the truck down the ramp to when I was finished loading and pulled the boat out. Without those guides my time usually doubles. Windy days were horrible!!

I now can look forward to windy days on the boat launch!
You mean something like this below? I was thinking of getting some. Sometimes I can barely see the trailer and have no idea if I'm over the bunks properly. I want to get a set. I had thought they were just for a visual indicator, but some seem to be really solid and can perhaps help hold your boat in correct position in the wind, etc. Or at least that is how it appears to me.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:34 PM

X2 on trailer guides keeps the boat straight on the trailer for windy days, nothing worse than the back end drifting over a fender and getting hung up.

I have this kind

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-31-2017, 09:17 PM

Can load better by myself than with the wife or a buddy it seems. The key is knowing how far to back in so the backend of the boat isn't buoyant and able to shift sideways on your wheels or bunks. Big heavy fiberglass boats are bad for that. Or in a crosswind or river current situation. If there's a line up and it happens I just pull out and swallow my pride and get in the back of the line. I run it up the trailer pretty agressivly.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:15 PM

All I do is back the trailer in until the side boards are hitting the water, then I power the boat onto the trailer . I then get out and drive into the staging area to pull the plugs, and secure everything - but I run a 5 degree hull with an inboard jet!
Cat
Old 06-01-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
X2 on trailer guides keeps the boat straight on the trailer for windy days, nothing worse than the back end drifting over a fender and getting hung up.

I have this kind

[IMG][/IMG]
These guides are best because they are solid. Others look good but
will easily bend or break when you hit them. And you will hit them!
Old 06-01-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I hate climbing out of the nose of the boat and trying to land like a cat on the slippery and wet trailer rail being careful not to let the boat kick out or off as you disembark. Dangerous and unneeded.

I've tied my boat up on the dock, went to go get truck / trailer and back it into the water right alongside the dock.

I take the rope tied to the bow eye and tie the other end to the rear cleat and walk the boat onto the trailer (from the dock) leaving lots of slack line in between. I guess you can probably do this with two lines as well I suppose. With the two attachment points you can pretty much pull the boat on mostly with the front rope and can steer the stern with either a quick shove with the foot away from the dock or a pull from the line attached to the rear cleat if the rear end goes sideways.

If you don't have a suitable dock - I just get a little more wet and just do this from the water. I just avoid getting myself between the boat and the trailer.

Most of the time you can do this without even manipulating the rear line - and just pulling her up and onto the trailer in less than a few seconds - and often times, right from shore with a line long enough.

I pull the front rope pretty hard so she glides on but stops short of the bow yoke. The more momentum you have the smoother she centers up and wedges into the sweet spot.

The boat is somewhat wedged enough that waves wont knock it off the bunks or that it wont float sideways at this point.

Then I come off the dock and I go to the winch, attach the winch strap and wind the boat up the remaining foot or two onto the trailer. Usually the bow hook is only a couple feet short of the yoke/winch so I don't have to get anything more than my feet and lower legs wet. I don't like climbing on a wet trailer frame (I have bruised my shin quite severely with a previously learned life experience.

After the boat is winched up secure, I secure the secondary safety chain (and make sure the winch is locked) and drive it away and pull over and strap down the boat like normal.

***The real key to this (and launching and loading your boat conventionally with ease) is knowing and recognizing how much of your trailer is below and above water. On some trailer/boats this could mean "water to top of wheel well" ,or, in the case, like mine, it's when the side guide bunk rails are just "at the surface of the water and wheel wells completely submerged" (my boat is deep). Every boat and trailer combo is going to be a little different and there is a small adjustment to be made if the ramp is too steep or too shallow. It's all about observation and taking a mental note each time.
I do the same, but I try to park my boat on the upwind side of the trailer so the wind pushes it inline with the trailer and I just pull it onto the trailer.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:20 AM

Default E break

Do you guys apply e break when loading/ unloading?
Old 06-02-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
I Always use the e-brake... easier on the tranny when shifting
Old 06-02-2017, 06:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Nope put in park and get out...my luck the dam thing would seize up

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-02-2017, 08:46 AM

calm days tie up boat, back trailer in till fenders are 1" above water, drive boat on, windy days or river (current) hip waders. Its an 18' weldcraft with 5.7 and AT jet so steering at low speeds is "challenging"
Old 06-02-2017, 09:09 AM

If you are loading solo a lot, it might be worth investing in an auto latch system. I don't use one personally, but perhaps if others do they can chime in.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:36 AM

Only two answers for e-break, and it's 50/50 split
Old 06-02-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchpirate View Post
If you are loading solo a lot, it might be worth investing in an auto latch system. I don't use one personally, but perhaps if others do they can chime in.
Thought about one of those. Never seen one in action but they seem pretty slick on websites. Just drive the boat up, "CLICK" and you're done. Hop off, drive it out.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:47 AM

You need a Rope-A-Boat!