Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-20-2009, 08:06 AM

Default Opinion of a Trapper

To all,
I have been reading and listening to different views on the DOA OR MOU or what ever it is ( no one really knows ) sounds like a Tupperware party to me !! I grew up on a farm in Norther AB trapping and hunting with my father and brothers and have also spent 30 years in the oilpatch from rigs to the office and all that time thinking about owning my own registered trapline. Well I finally got that and it seems there are just as many politics in the ATA than their is in the office these days. My father and I am sure many other past fathers would be rolling over in their graves if they could hear what was going on today. I trap because I love the bush and the challenge each fur bearing animal gives me, it my stress relief from the office and the city, when I am on the trapline I am a different person, a better person and do not worry about the politics and the rest of the crap that goes with it.I now find myself wondering if the politics that are going on with the ATA are in the best interest of the trappers or are some people wanting to become politicians...if so, go be politicians and let the trappers do what they love to do. I keep hearing that we are going to or possibly could loose our trapline...TO WHO, can anyone tell me this please ? In 30 years in the oilpatch I have never heard of a trapline being lost to oil companies or lumber companies...they take what they want and move on..so can someone tell me WHO is going to take our lines please. When are we going to have to pay this outrageous amount for our licenses, is everyone going to pay, including the natives..if we do not belong to the ATA can we still get a license and continue to trap and forget about all the politics. I have not problem managing our trapline...we do now and if you don't manage it and trap it you should not have it !! I listen to all the whining about the cabin policy...are we in grade 4 or are we adults...if you don't abide my the cabin policy you should NOT HAVE A TRAPLINE end of story !! It sounds like the DOA is in without a proper vote from the trappers of Alberta...I voted against it in June in Grande Prarie cause I didn't know enough about and still don't...thats a year later, so it is what it is, I would like a few of my questions answered and I will carry on enjoying the great outdoors and trying to out smart my fur bearing opponents and leave the politics to do their jobs and see where it goes.

Jim Renner.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:59 PM

Jim I wish you were right about the trap lines. It's true that a resident trapline system probably wouldn't change much, but the RFMA's have been in peril. There have been many proposals from bureaucrats to get rid of RFMA system.

Historically the fight has been to have trappers NOT declared occupants of the land, and to remove the commercial aspect of a RFMA. This would have removed the onus of companies to work with trappers, removed compensation, removed any notice requirements, and removed trapping cabins on crown land. Thankfully our executive stick handled their way through this over the last few years but an MOU would provide much more security for trappers.

A new threat has now raised it's head. Take a look at the LUF draft and the regional councils they're setting up. These councils will have quite a bit of power in their region. Once again loss of cabins under the LUF frame work is a possibility. This was discussed at the Presidents meeting on Saturday so your local executive should be able to elaborate.

I too wish Jim I could back to my younger days when the only thing I had to worry about was the price of fur. These days it's almost impossible for an individual trapper to stay in front of all the issues, let alone up-to-date on them. All the more reason to have an informed plugged in executive with the political savy to look out for our interests. From what I can see we have that in spades!

Do yourself a favor trappers and support the ATA, even if only for your own self interest. If you're not a member why not?

Last edited by Brian Bildson; 04-21-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:03 PM
redgreen

Default You mean Land use Framework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Jim I wish you were right about the trap lines. It's true that a resident trapline system probably wouldn't change much, but the RFMA's have been in peril. There have been many proposals from bureaucrats to get rid of RFMA system.

Historically the fight has been to have trappers NOT declared occupants of the land, and to remove the commercial aspect of a RFMA. This would have removed the onus of companies to work with trappers, removed compensation, removed any notice requirements, and removed trapping cabins on crown land. Thankfully our executive stick handled their way through this over the last few years but an MOU would provide much more security for trappers.

A new threat has now raised it's head. Take a look at the FLUZ draft and the regional councils they're setting up. These councils will have quite a bit of power in their region. Once again loss of cabins under the FLUZ frame work is a possibility. This was discussed at the Presidents meeting on Saturday so your local executive should be able to elaborate.

I too wish Jim I could back to my younger days when the only thing I had to worry about was the price of fur. These days it's almost impossible for an individual trapper to stay in front of all the issues, let alone up-to-date on them. All the more reason to have an informed plugged in executive with the political savy to look out for our interests. From what I can see we have that in spades!

Do yourself a favor trappers and support the ATA, even if only for your own self interest. If you're not a member why not?

Brian, what he heck is a FLUZ draft??? I was at the same meeting. Please tell me what a FLUZ draft is... we discussed the Land Use Framework and their setting up the Regional Committee's..I guess the FLUZ zones fall under this but please in the future be clear. Some of your other comments are very unsubstanciated as well but typical. Quit trying to justify "the sky is falling" with rehtoric and produce some actual facts.

Last edited by redgreen; 04-21-2009 at 06:26 AM. Reason: sp