Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-14-2009, 09:17 PM

Default looking to acquire a trapline

Hey, I am looking for info on how to acquire a trapline here in alberta. there is 3 of us all avid outdoors men very interested in trapping. we are bassically looking for any info that anyone can give us on how to acquire a trap line or any meeting or contacts in the red deer area for which we can get this info, or anyone that has a trap line avalible. thanks in advance for any tips or advice
Old 04-15-2009, 07:08 AM
redgreen

Default Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtys View Post
Hey, I am looking for info on how to acquire a trapline here in alberta. there is 3 of us all avid outdoors men very interested in trapping. we are bassically looking for any info that anyone can give us on how to acquire a trap line or any meeting or contacts in the red deer area for which we can get this info, or anyone that has a trap line avalible. thanks in advance for any tips or advice
That's great you have an interest in getting a line. I will pm you with the Presidents phone number to join the Rocky Local of the ATA. There is a meeting tonight (April 15th) at 7 pm in the Leslieville Elks Hall. Then you can get a membership to the ATA. Have you guys taken the ATA Trappers Course? If not this is a must before you get a line. If you go on the ATA website there are course dates and there is also a course schedule for the Dave Unger College which runs a more intense condensed version of the week long one. Contact Jim Mitchell 780-349-6626.

Once a member you can place an ad in the Trappers mag. to see if any lines are available. Also networking at the Local meeting may produce something. Hope to see you tonight at the meeting!!!
Old 04-20-2009, 08:30 AM

I have tried the message in the classifieds section and I haven't had any success. I would love to be a part of a line even if it a very minor part in some way.
I can't afford to buy a line and I find it frustrating that options are so limited.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not even fussy on what I would be trapping. I just want to get out and match wits with critters.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:38 PM
redgreen

Default Resident Trapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I have tried the message in the classifieds section and I haven't had any success. I would love to be a part of a line even if it a very minor part in some way.
I can't afford to buy a line and I find it frustrating that options are so limited.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not even fussy on what I would be trapping. I just want to get out and match wits with critters.
Hi there. Yes lines are expensive these days and not too many opportunities for being a Junior but keep plugging away at it. There are however lots of Resident trapping opportunities. Especially this time of year people are having beaver problems. Contact the Calgary and Cochrane Fish and Wildlife Offices. This may get you going. As for Winter, with the Spring landowner contacts you may strike paydirt. Usually lots of ranchers looking to get rid of a coyote problem etc.. If you haven't yet taken the ATA trappers course please consider it. Contact Jim Mitchell at the Westlock office.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:05 PM

Thanks Red. I'll give these options a try. Might have to wait for next year though.