Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-18-2008, 10:27 PM

Default porcupine?

My cousin and her husband have a porcupine bent on destroying a bunch of their younger trees. We found what may be a den in the ground. I have a couple of questions...

1. Do porcupines den in the ground?
2. They are trying to get building, and are only there on weekends for now. How would they go around trapping it? They will NOT leave an unattended trap. I have one of the rubber jawed leghold traps. Would it be suitable?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2008, 10:37 PM

Don't know about a humane unattended trap but yes they do den in the ground.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:56 PM

Put a #330 coniber over the hole entrance and fasten it securely.Or use irragation hose from your exaust down the hole and seal the opening.Let the vehical idle for 1/2 hr and fill in the hole.............The animal just goes to sleep.............Done deal..........Harold
Old 05-19-2008, 03:08 PM

The trap works great. Why not just shoot it and be done with it quickly? If you have a porcupine in the area, it won't be hard to find.

Not sure about choking it out with exhaust fumes, a bit lacking in the ethical dispatch of wildlife.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Put a #330 coniber over the hole entrance and fasten it securely.Or use irragation hose from your exaust down the hole and seal the opening.Let the vehical idle for 1/2 hr and fill in the hole.............The animal just goes to sleep.............Done deal..........Harold
Can't use a trap which might hurt... they have an inquisitive and VERY energetic lab pup. Hole is too far from a trail to use exhaust. Didn't see the animal when I was out, so couldn't shoot it for them. Hence the emphasis on a humane trap, only set while they are there...
Old 05-21-2008, 06:58 PM

Ethics ? They poison and gas gophers don't they? Try a garden center that sells cynide smoke sticks for getting rid of skunks ,badgers and other burrowing animals.Light two put them in the hole and seal it airtight done deal...........Harold
Old 05-21-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Ethics ? They poison and gas gophers don't they? Try a garden center that sells cynide smoke sticks for getting rid of skunks ,badgers and other burrowing animals.Light two put them in the hole and seal it airtight done deal...........Harold
Have you ever watched an animal die from poison gas or smoke? Not pretty. Definitely not a clean or quick kill.

As a hunter and/or conservationist, you should be concerned with the humane dispatch of wildlife. Even the ones that might be considered a pest.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:28 PM

I have and wouldn't use strychnine on anything as it kills by internal hemmoraging [like gopher poison]Slow and painfull........Cyanide is totally different as it causes unconciousness due to blockage of 02 from the red blood cells.Death is almost immediate.The Nazi's didn't carry cyandine capsoles because it would make them suffer .It was quick and clean and 100% effective!Carbon monoxide is also quick and painless so I fail to see where you get your facts? Rodents are presently taken care of this way every spring by landowners and farmers so you can take your soapbox over there and see where that gets you.Tell them you feel it's unethical to poison the poor gophers.It's not illegal so take it or leave it...................Harold
Old 04-26-2009, 12:30 AM

'nother old thread being revived... And this time by the originator...

I now have a porcupine destroying my trees. I can't find it's den. Is there a bait or attractant for porcupine? it is killing some of my tamaraks.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
'nother old thread being revived... And this time by the originator...

I now have a porcupine destroying my trees. I can't find it's den. Is there a bait or attractant for porcupine? it is killing some of my tamaraks.

Thanks
At this time of year you will have to look hard. If it is a female she will den up all day with her little ones. Males will be fattening up and being lazy. Look for them in willow bunches and such. For bait go buy some Sweet Mix horse feed, corn and molasses mix, they love it.