Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2018, 10:03 AM

Angry Ripped off on Used Firearms.ca

Hey Everyone,
Just wanted you to know that if you are looking for an A-bolt 22, DO NOT buy on USED FIREARMS.ca. The guy is from Fort Mac and once he receives your money you get nothing. I have never had a problem buying from most of the sites as all of the people have been good honest fellow hunters. This guy still has his ad up so I just wanted to let the rest of the community know to avoid him.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:19 AM

These bums are usually pretty easy to flush out with the right questions. What is your verification procedure? If a person has no trader rating then one has to be careful. Heck, even if they do have a trader rating you should check out the profiles of those who left them ratings. Sometimes a quick glance shows that they’re all shill accounts that trading reviews among the other shill accounts they’ve set up to leave positive reviews for themselves. When none have traded with well-established / recognized site members it’s a red flag.

I don’t know of that site has such feedback features, but if it doesn’t I’d avoid it.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:22 AM

maybe a member in Fort Mcmurray could do a health check on this guy.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post

Would really be the neighbourly thing to do. Maybe take a hammer or wrench in case he has a project he needs a hand with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I bet you he doesn't. Live any where near ft mac. Would be foolish to advertise your actual location then rip someone off!
Old 04-22-2018, 11:51 AM

Report this to the Police. They may not catch him but it may help, never know. Also, how did you arrange payment, if EMT, you can at least have your bank track this guy down and find out where he deals, Bank, account number deposited to, location of bank etc. Report the fraud to his bank. You can Garnishee his account if there is anything in it.

If you paid by credit card, they will refund you full price if you file a complaint for no receipt of goods. If you mailed a cheque or money order it is postal fraud so report that to post office and RCMP. Postal Fraud carries some surprisingly hefty sentences.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:11 PM

I looked at that site a few times, saw several suspicious ads, and never looked at it again. I have heard of several scams on that site, most listed as being from Quebec.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I looked at that site a few times, saw several suspicious ads, and never looked at it again. I have heard of several scams on that site, most listed as being from Quebec.
Same
Old 04-22-2018, 12:25 PM

Here, and CGN, are all I trust, unless you can do a face to face. I came close to getting burnt on here once, but after a threat of the police, and finding out where the douche worked, he gave me my money back. Otherwise all decent to excellent dealings with others.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
x3

Couldn't be bothered with that site.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:08 PM

Default If it sounds too good to be true,......

Was searching for a specific firearm a few weeks ago and one came up on that site. they warn you right on the site to do face to face deals only unless you know who you are dealing with and completely trust the vendor. They also recommend if you cant get a face to face to contact a bonified gunsmith or firearm store in the location of the vendor to broker the deal if you have any doubts. Doesn' t get any simpler than that for instructions!!

One firearm I was looking for came up in Saskatoon and the picture of just the forestock didnt seem right but the owner never responded to my requests(2). Another ad on similar firearm that had a really great price (too good to be true) the vendor replied he could mail it to me regardless of my location as long as I had a valid pal number which I was to supply stopped answering questions when I told him I was close enough to do a face to face. Correspondence got spotty after that and no reply was ever received when I asked for his Calgary phone number.

They say on site to read instructions before completing any transaction:

Quote:
Online Buyer Safety
Face to face transactions are highly recommended.

OR

Have a gun shop in the seller area act as a broker for the transaction. Look up the shop online and give them a call.

Take the time to confirm the buyer/seller information for every transaction
Do not use EMT unless you have dealt with the user before and trust them. EMT (Electronic Money Transfer) is difficult to recover or trace and is the number one choice of scammers!

We are the safest place to sell your firearms online in Canada, use the following tips to help keep it that way!
Follow The Scam Safe Tips:
Check their profile: View Profile

Use Skype or Video Phone and have them show you the item
Request a picture of the item with todays paper or something specific
Talk to the seller on the phone
Google the persons name and city
Google the phone number
Google Search the images
Google search parts of the item description
Perform an IP location lookup on the members last login IP (on profile)
Check the IP location of the email IP of the seller reply emails

DO NOT SEND ID OR MONEY - COMPLETE ALL THESE STEPS FIRST!

Ask lots of questions and use common sense!

Report all suspicious members and ads

Last edited by wwbirds; 04-22-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
Same
Yep. Same here.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:05 PM

Phone conversation goes along way too. If I get a wiff of trash, I’m out.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I would have been on my way to Ft.Mack..
But, scammers are scammers and usually one step ahead.
Rob
Old 04-22-2018, 08:03 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I like face to face if possible for a few reasons, you don't know me and I don't know you so meeting is always good so that the goods are exactly what you think they are. Also, you can learn a lot about one's character with a quick conversation and looking them in the eye. I may be old school but it still works for me.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:53 AM

Yep, always best to hold it in your hand and look it over if possible, if not.. get someone who isn't getting a cut of whatever you're buying to verify it for you.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
Yep, always best to hold it in your hand and look it over if possible, if not.. get someone who isn't getting a cut of whatever you're buying to verify it for you.
This is what I prefer but I've done two transactions on here with saddleup and lone wolf. Both excellent guys. I did by a tent off kijiji that went well. The seller trusted me to send the money after the tent was mailed.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:06 PM

Stay away from Used Firearms.ca I almost got taken and RPAL was compromised I had to reapply. I reported the incident to the Mods on the site my warning went totally ignored, The RCMP were sympathetic but did nothing a month later the rip off ad was still up and still could be.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Report this to the Police. They may not catch him but it may help, never know. Also, how did you arrange payment, if EMT, you can at least have your bank track this guy down and find out where he deals, Bank, account number deposited to, location of bank etc. Report the fraud to his bank. You can Garnishee his account if there is anything in it.

If you paid by credit card, they will refund you full price if you file a complaint for no receipt of goods. If you mailed a cheque or money order it is postal fraud so report that to post office and RCMP. Postal Fraud carries some surprisingly hefty sentences.
Bank would do a thing for me when I was ripped off on this site to the tune of $1200. The police didn’t care either. As far as I could figure out that guy ripped off people to the tune of over $10k that night. No one cared.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 04-23-2018, 10:59 PM

A number of years ago I was corresponding with a member on this site (AOF) about a real nice mini 14 that I was interested in at the time.
When I got some more pictures and details of the rifle the seller was including unpinned 30 round magazines??? So of course my radar went on alert and the seller finally divulged that he was in the states somewhere, I forget just where.
I reported him to the AO mods and he was banned.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:26 AM

Why can't someone make a really decent effort at a firearms classifieds site?
They all seem to be run using the same forum templates, and many lack basic search and decent filters.
Even the really big gun auction sites in the USA seem to be lacking in design and usability. I'm convinced that the lack of effective competition and the obsessive nature of people on the lookout for a good deal on a firearm like myself are the only reason they stick around.
Why not team up with retailers instead of just warning people to use them? Include and show support for local brick and mortar stores to gain their support.
They could be used to sign people up as buyers and sellers. Providing security for both. They could verify PAL/RPAL and identities.
Use the local stores to process payments. No money would need to change hands until firearm was given to buyer.
And I wrote a lot more. But always feel that I'm giving away ideas for a business that I would love to enter but a combination of time, money, expertise, and courage work to convince me I wouldn't get it off the ground.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:08 PM

Hey Everybody
Just thought I would let you know that I talked to the cops/bank and nothing can be done.
But on the other hand the scumbag has reposted his ad for the A-bolt 22 again for 3 months on usedfirearms.ca site. It is the very first gun to come up for $700. Let's see if we can flush this parasite out, all help greatly appreciated. Just want to stop him and have no one else ripped off.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednek View Post
Hey Everybody
Just thought I would let you know that I talked to the cops/bank and nothing can be done.
But on the other hand the scumbag has reposted his ad for the A-bolt 22 again for 3 months on usedfirearms.ca site. It is the very first gun to come up for $700. Let's see if we can flush this parasite out, all help greatly appreciated. Just want to stop him and have no one else ripped off.
So your telling me you have all his bank information and talked to the RCMP and say nothing can be done?!!!
What’s his name?
You know what raises a red flag with me?
Your 71 posts!
You made no mention of how this transaction went down ie. mailed, etransfer, face to face etc., very vague, at best.
I don’t know what your angle is but I would have see a copy of a bank statement before I believe you, sorry, something smells fishy with this whole situation.
How exactly do figure “we” are going to flush this parasite out?
And what’s with the hey everyone, and hey everybody?
Who talks like that?
Old 06-07-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
So your telling me you have all his bank information and talked to the RCMP and say nothing can be done?!!!
What’s his name?
You know what raises a red flag with me?
Your 71 posts!
You made no mention of how this transaction went down ie. mailed, etransfer, face to face etc., very vague, at best.
I don’t know what your angle is but I would have see a copy of a bank statement before I believe you, sorry, something smells fishy with this whole situation.
How exactly do figure “we” are going to flush this parasite out?
And what’s with the hey everyone, and hey everybody?
Who talks like that?
Not everybody posts every day on here. The Op joined in 2007, 4 years before you did. If he is running a scam or a joke, I want to see how it plays out given he has been planning it for 11 years!
Old 06-08-2018, 09:03 AM

Default ripped off

Hey wildbill Get a life, Its guys like u that makes guys leave this site! IM just trying to let others know about being ripped off!! So Sorry if I don't post everyday.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartybartfast42 View Post
Why can't someone make a really decent effort at a firearms classifieds site?
They all seem to be run using the same forum templates, and many lack basic search and decent filters.
Even the really big gun auction sites in the USA seem to be lacking in design and usability. I'm convinced that the lack of effective competition and the obsessive nature of people on the lookout for a good deal on a firearm like myself are the only reason they stick around.
Why not team up with retailers instead of just warning people to use them? Include and show support for local brick and mortar stores to gain their support.
They could be used to sign people up as buyers and sellers. Providing security for both. They could verify PAL/RPAL and identities.
Use the local stores to process payments. No money would need to change hands until firearm was given to buyer.
And I wrote a lot more. But always feel that I'm giving away ideas for a business that I would love to enter but a combination of time, money, expertise, and courage work to convince me I wouldn't get it off the ground.
Nevermind....
Old 06-08-2018, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Guess what...my company has a very active websales component...to the tune of thousands of dollars in websales every day.
And NO...the RCMP won't do anything...neither will the credit card companies.
No need to get snarky!
I for one appreciate it when someone gives the heads up here about someone with questionable selling morals.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:51 AM

There was a thread on CGN that basically reiterates what the OP is saying about EMT's and the police. Once the money is gone and the EMT is complete the bank will do nothing about it. The police will take your statement, but do you think that they are going to start an investigation and get the fraud squad activated to help get your 1000 dollars back, not a chance.