Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-31-2009, 06:02 PM

Default Real Trappers/Real Trapping

My name is Greg Mckinnon and I see a need for some real trappers to talk about real trapping.

I'm just waiting for spring to kick in so I can manage some beaver. I live in the Blackfalds/Lacombe area and went into the County office and introduced myself and gave them my contact information. I also posted on the community bulliten board. I've done this for several years now and free it is some of the best trapping.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:23 PM

I spoke to Lola at the ATA Store today and she advised she shipped 49 boxes of fur for the next sale. This is right on par with last year. Lola also advised NAFA will receive right up to the 20th of April. they will take all the fur she has.

I really enjoy this spring beaver season and find it is a good way to manage your beaver. I use a 330 on a run with alittle lure. I usually pick up the big male first and a couple of sub-adults. Seldom do I get the female in the first few days especially if I get an early start, just as the ice is coming off. Depending on how I've choosen to manage the colony, I will see what the first few days tell me. If the colony needs to be removed because of lack of habitat or location I will use a fresh cut poplar after a feew days of the lure.

Castors are selling really well and I think there will be a strong market, especially in beaver. As a trapper I find you need to be an optimist.

I travelled down to the BC Trappers Convention and they had a great trunout, great demonstrations and a wonderful supper. Great job guys/gals.

I know there are lots of US sites and other trapping sites across Canada but I am just looking for people with more of a local flavor. I am looking to network with real trappers or anyone with a real interest in our industry and to only discuss real trapping. I don't want to discuss politics and/or issues, leave your baggage at the door.

Greg McKinnon
Old 03-31-2009, 11:17 PM

Amen Greg.

I have an interesting mission this spring. I want to spring hunt for some beaver like I used to do in the NWT. The daughter of my original trapping mentor is still doing incredible bead & hide work but can't get any fur. I've told her I'll get her some spring beaver like I used to do with her Dad.

We really enjoyed the bug free spring hunt back in those days complete with big fat male mallards fresh off the US crops. Sitting quiet along the ponds and waiting until almost dark when the big guys slipped out.

I've found a few quiet back waters I'm going to sit and see what swims by.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:31 AM
redgreen

Default Air brushing pelts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Amen Greg.

I have an interesting mission this spring. I want to spring hunt for some beaver like I used to do in the NWT. The daughter of my original trapping mentor is still doing incredible bead & hide work but can't get any fur. I've told her I'll get her some spring beaver like I used to do with her Dad.

We really enjoyed the bug free spring hunt back in those days complete with big fat male mallards fresh off the US crops. Sitting quiet along the ponds and waiting until almost dark when the big guys slipped out.

I've found a few quiet back waters I'm going to sit and see what swims by.
The president of the Rocky Local brought in a beaver pelt a young artist had air brushed a wolf head on. You have to see it to appreciate it but it looks fantastic and would look even better hooped. She also does elk, deer etc.. It was a big hit at the live auction for the F&G dinner and fetched 500 bucks. We will have some for the auction at the AGM this year as well. Good use of Spring pelts. Maybe he can bring one up on the 18th for you to look at.

Brian were Spring mallards really good? Never tried it.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:36 AM
redgreen

Default Winter Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearguy View Post
I spoke to Lola at the ATA Store today and she advised she shipped 49 boxes of fur for the next sale. This is right on par with last year. Lola also advised NAFA will receive right up to the 20th of April. they will take all the fur she has.

I really enjoy this spring beaver season and find it is a good way to manage your beaver. I use a 330 on a run with alittle lure. I usually pick up the big male first and a couple of sub-adults. Seldom do I get the female in the first few days especially if I get an early start, just as the ice is coming off. Depending on how I've choosen to manage the colony, I will see what the first few days tell me. If the colony needs to be removed because of lack of habitat or location I will use a fresh cut poplar after a feew days of the lure.

Castors are selling really well and I think there will be a strong market, especially in beaver. As a trapper I find you need to be an optimist.

I travelled down to the BC Trappers Convention and they had a great trunout, great demonstrations and a wonderful supper. Great job guys/gals.

I know there are lots of US sites and other trapping sites across Canada but I am just looking for people with more of a local flavor. I am looking to network with real trappers or anyone with a real interest in our industry and to only discuss real trapping. I don't want to discuss politics and/or issues, leave your baggage at the door.

Greg McKinnon
Hi Greg, how did you make out on your RMFA out West this Winter. Alot of the trappers this year said the marten were slow especially after November. I had bears cruising around in November so I waited until the first of December....only got 12 right off the bat then nothing. After the season closed quite a few tracks appeared. Could be because of the cold weather spells I guess.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:31 AM

Hi Greg.............yes I am looking forward to the spring beaver as well. Still a little ways away until the ice is gone, but I have everything ready to go. It feels good to get back at it and it sure is a good prelim to the spring bear season.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:52 AM

You've got it Greg let's talk about trapping and put the politics aside for a moment.
I have 3 ponds I want to trap on the line this spring but will have a long wait if it does not start melting faster soon. If I take 6-10 beaver off the line that will be enough as I really do not have alot of colonies. If the ice comes off the Athabasca in time we will float the river and shoot a few.
One of the boys at work has beaver on his property that he would like me to work on. This will be a search and detroy mission as I will not be leaving any seed behind.
Am I supposed to be getting this excited about beaver trapping? This trapping fever can only be cured with one thing....more trapping!
Old 04-01-2009, 11:39 AM

You got the disease Bullgetter and there's no cure!

Red: They were fat and tasty. My in-laws at the time were first nation and had the right to harvest spring birds. We ate ducks, geese, and sandhill cranes. I saw a painted pelt at the WSF banquet in Red Deer, very unique.

The spring hunt was a social event as well as a harvest. The sun was warm, water flowing, and no bugs yet! In those days the hunting/trapping camps were common and whole families were on the land. It's almost inconceivable to me that this lifestyle has been lost during my lifetime.

The rat and beaver were both trapped and hunted. I remember all kinds of tricks I learned that must have been developed over generations. We'd squeek rats in by making kissing sounds on the back of our hands.

If a beaver sank we'd take a long alder pole and split the end and put a wooden match in to hold the split open. You'd feel around with the pole until you proddded the beaver. We'd jab down, holding the beaver tight against the bottom, and twist the pole. The beavers long hairs got twisted up in the split and we could pull him up and retrieve the beaver.

I'm not sure the fishing rods and hooks we used to get floaters from the pond were authentic first nations techniques but it worked too!
Old 04-01-2009, 11:55 AM

Nice to see a thread with no political agenda.

I only wish to be trapping beaver on my line. Only a couple stagnant ponds that the previous trapper cleaned out and a couple of very slow flowing steams. Have one river on line but access is difficult, however I have some private access but same as previous quote; SEARCH AND DESTROY for landowners.

Had an average year trapping but got a little discouraged after losing 5 wolves due to snares frozen after a heavy freezing rain. Lost a few traps and pretty sure marten or fisher to so called HUNTERS in the area that must have figured they were free for the taking.

Really looking forward to spring bear but I ran out of beaver carcasses for bait; I usually remove as much good meat as possible for trapline bait and use the rest for bear bait but I gave too much away last year and ran out so if anybody has some and feels sorry for me, please PM me and I'll gladly take it off your hands. LOL.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:16 PM
redgreen

Default Snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Runner View Post
Nice to see a thread with no political agenda.

I only wish to be trapping beaver on my line. Only a couple stagnant ponds that the previous trapper cleaned out and a couple of very slow flowing steams. Have one river on line but access is difficult, however I have some private access but same as previous quote; SEARCH AND DESTROY for landowners.

Had an average year trapping but got a little discouraged after losing 5 wolves due to snares frozen after a heavy freezing rain. Lost a few traps and pretty sure marten or fisher to so called HUNTERS in the area that must have figured they were free for the taking.

Really looking forward to spring bear but I ran out of beaver carcasses for bait; I usually remove as much good meat as possible for trapline bait and use the rest for bear bait but I gave too much away last year and ran out so if anybody has some and feels sorry for me, please PM me and I'll gladly take it off your hands. LOL.

I had a reall good lesson in losing wolves this year with snares. I usually make up my own snares but thought this year and time constraints, I'd just buy some. I lost three that popped ferrules (1/8" cable), and on examination of the other 100 many were crimped improperly. The supplier is standing good for the return and credit which I guess they should and they were very concerned about product quality. They implied the made-up snares may be off their catologue list next year as it was impossible to obtain high quality control on making them up. I am going to be doing my own snares for next year and get off the "catch and release program". I did end up with five wolves, four coyotes and an incidental cougar catch on the one station. Sure do look forward to wolf season next year!!

Beaver works well for me in a wolf bait station as I scatter a few cubes around on the trail along the line and then do the same amongst the outlying snares and trails immediate to the station. The wolves gobble up the tasty little morsels on the skidoo/quad trail then seem to be a bit more comfortable around the snare area... and it makes them travel a bit more around the station and thus increasing the chances of a hit. The primary bait is road kill deer. I caught one using a picked over beaver carcass and putting it about four feet up in a spruce tree and placing MB750's in a couple spots close to the tree.

I am in a FLUZ area and haven't had any trouble losing gear or fur yet. It's too bad you had to experience losing gear and fur. I don't know how you can circumvent that...a bad apple or two can make life difficult. And for sure they weren't true hunters, they just happen to walk around in the backcountry and pretend to be!!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:35 PM

I'll have to try the cubed meat trick on the trail method. thanks for that.

We did end up with 5 good wolves though. and 7 lynx: One that topped the scales at 27 lbs. He's going to look good beside the mantle with our huge fisher. He weighed in at 13 lbs. and I have no idea how he got his head in a #220 because we had to really work to get the trap off after he thawed out.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:44 AM

Thanks Guys,

I've seen some wolf skulls with painted scenes as well, very beautiful and more value in our industry. I have one of those beavertail wallets and absolutly love it. Hopefuly we will have al on display at the Convention.

I see a posting from Jim Gibb updating us on the ongoing sale and one for beaver caster. Both look very promising, we may see a good sale in May yet. Appears there are lots of buyers and a very good turn out from China. Everyone is looking at the China market as the bright spot. Here's hoping!

Ann Hubbs, biologist with SRD, did a very good presentation last night in Drayton on quotas species. She explained how quotas are set and the research ongoing in that area. Ann pointed out the value of our management plans especially in the areas where species are expanding their ranges. This also provided local resident trappers an opportunity to communicate their observations directly to SRD. Excellent job here by Ann and Gary Godberson for making this happen.

I really liked the comment regarding the social aspect of spring beaver. Great opportunity to demonstrate our value. I grew up in the sugar woods of the east coast and see the industry that has grown from that. It can be one of the most beautiful experiences of a life time. There's something about spring that just makes you want to get outside.

We are still several days from any water in the Red Deer area. I see the owls have nested and a fox has taken up her den across the road. Heard a robin the other day but souldn't see him. Looks like nice weather next week and things will open up then.

Greg
Old 04-02-2009, 10:51 AM

Thanks Guys,

Last edited by bearguy; 04-03-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:33 PM

Greg- Saw a beaver on top of the ice yesterday at Sheep Creek right beside an open lead of water. Looks like he wants to be my next moccassin trim
Old 04-13-2009, 07:46 PM
redgreen

Default Red Deer Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearguy View Post
Thanks Guys,
I see you are spearheading a Red Deer Local...how's the response so far? We sure need as many people as possible coming to the AGM and Convention!! Should be lots of real trappers out that way especially Resident and concentrating on beavers!! Castor and carcass are probably worth more than the pelt but it's all a good thing. Also wondering how you did on your RFMA? We did good on wolves for the South part but looking forward to trapping the North area that has not been for over 40 years.

Last edited by redgreen; 04-14-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:37 PM

Greg - Just back from some time on the Sheep Creek. Had a blast and took some nice beaver. Mostly hunted along the open leads of water along the ice. You have to be quick with the pole to fish them out of the water or they get swept under the ice by the current. My 22 mag performed well and is just plain fun to shoot.

What a great way to spend some bush time.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:43 PM

Default Changes good to see

Awesome to see people visiting and sharing info on here, not any name calling or arguing.
Was away from the outdoors for many years due to career and health issues.
Recently came back to the good life and jumped in head first.
Hope to continue visiting with u folks.
Already lined up some control work north of Grande Prairie, just waiting for open water in the bush!
b.t.w., Brian, what sort of .22 mag ammo due u use for beavers?
Some of the areas are near resideces, so a rimfire will be perfect.
Thanx in advance and have a great day all.
Ken
Old 04-20-2009, 04:06 PM

Gummy just grabbed a box by the cabin door and didn't even take note of grain. I like the magnum but a trapper with way more beaver experience than me told me on the weekend that a 22 is better than a magnum. Claims a magnum shot beaver sinks too fast. Who knows all my beaver end up dead but he has an interesting theory.

Have you checked out a GP trappers meeting? We'd love to have you attend.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:12 AM

Smile real trapping

Well just got my first beaver of the spring season.The ice is mostly all melted off my creeks and it sure was nice to get out first thing in the morning and here them robins singing with the rising of the sun. Going back out again today,just moving a little slower then normal due to some pulled musels in my lower back,this due to the size of yesterdays one and only catch.Just a little reminder to all of us the importentce to keep in shape and watch how you lift those big ol beaversinto the truck. I guess that is part of being the real deal. Well gotta go before the back pills start to ware off.