Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-11-2021, 07:57 PM

Default New reloading tool

Well This weekend I made several stupid mistakes reloading with resulted in needing to remove the bullet from loaded rounds. In the past I used kinetic bullet pullers and always hated them. I needed to pull 20 bullets and I decided to try the RCBS bullet puller with caliber specific collet. Wow! what a dream to use.
Easy to use and no damage to the tip of the bullet.
Should have bought this a long time ago.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:59 PM

Yup I love mine.

When doing load development, I often load past book values so I can see when I hit pressure signs in my rifle. Chronograph as well.

I don’t have to worry about not making it to the top, I just simply pull the bullets with the collet, pour the powder out, neck size and reload again.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:00 PM

Indeed. Great tool. No dammage to bullet. Can salvage or reuse everything. Can pull 20 rounds in a few minutes.

-Reza
Old 10-12-2021, 10:52 AM

I'm going to add a cheap press to my bench, maybe a Lee classic, just for a bullet puller.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:13 AM

The RCBS collet puller has been my goto for over 40 years
Cat
Old 10-12-2021, 11:38 AM

I used the RCBS for a long time but have now switched to the Hornady collet puller. Far slicker to use, no damage to bullets and works on turret presses a lot better becasue you don't need to be able to twist the T handle tight.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:39 AM

I have been using one for a few years ( not as old, I mean experienced as Cat ) and they do work great. Using a Kinetic puller never made sense to me...

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 10-12-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I used the RCBS for a long time but have now switched to the Hornady collet puller. Far slicker to use, no damage to bullets and works on turret presses a lot better becasue you don't need to be able to twist the T handle tight.

I've used both the RCBS and Hornady collet pullers. The Hornady is the better tool by far.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:52 PM

RCBS because it is what I have. Seem to do the job very well and no damage to the bullet. Used a hammer style for years, they are JUNK. Spend the money once, buy the Hornady or the RCBS and don't look back.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:08 AM

I had a collet puller at one time. Sold the entire reloading bench, puller went with it.
Several years later, decided to get back to reloading. Didn't want to spend the money on a collet puller and went to the inertia puller. To prevent bullet damage, I installed a chunk of high density foam in it to absorb the impact and have yet to damage a retrieved bullet.

Nora Loreto 6:49 PM 8 Apr. 2018
Old 10-13-2021, 05:22 AM

Same here, I had a kinetic puller years back and have since moved to the RCBS collet puller. Don't use it much thankfully but it's sure nice to have when you need it. Either the RCBS or Hornady is head and tails above the kinetic bullet puller.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:36 AM

have both kenetic and collet pullers kenetic works if only one goof up but if several then the collet puller is the way to go I really like my rcbs but I only load on a single stage press
Old 10-14-2021, 12:03 AM

I should get this tool.
I just pulled 20 today with the inertia hammer, 7mm and 168 VLDs, 70g of retumbo.
I’ll likely reload these with 162g ELDX, and drop the retumbo to 69g.

And when pulling, found one mistake, #12 of my 20 had no powder in it, check check next time.

TBark
Old 10-14-2021, 04:15 PM

I have the RCBS and a Kinetic pullet they both are great in the right places. Cast bullets I prefer my Kinetic pullet for Jacketed bullets it's the RCBS Collet puller hands down.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 10-14-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
I should get this tool.
I just pulled 20 today with the inertia hammer, 7mm and 168 VLDs, 70g of retumbo.
I’ll likely reload these with 162g ELDX, and drop the retumbo to 69g.

And when pulling, found one mistake, #12 of my 20 had no powder in it, check check next time.

TBark
Check, check, check....and review your practice to make certain these "mistakes" cant happen again.. in my system I throw/ weigh powder, drop into case and seat bullet right away. Then start the next round

OP I have the RCBS puller as well. Don't think I've pulled out my hammer puller since....great peice of kit for sure

Last edited by obsessed1; 10-14-2021 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:55 PM

There is no right or wrong system but there are things that will definitely reduce the chances of errors. Doing one step on all brass at the same time dramatically reduces error. If you study lean process and six sigma that is a fundamental building block. Deprime and size. Clean then prime all cases. Weigh and charge. Use a flashlight to check the charge on all cases. Seat bullets. If you are using a progressive press the process is different. Single stage press loading I highly recommend batching the steps.
Old 10-16-2021, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Wow, that's a big mistake. Better to review your steps and find a better routine in the future. I'm pretty sure a fired primer w/o powder would lodge a bullet in your throat which would end a hunt with that rifle.