Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 02:33 PM

Default How does one decide?

After 50 years of booming around in the bush, 40 years collecting, buying/selling, handloading, the safe is full. How do you decide which rifle stays and which goes? Each one bought or built with purpose in mind. This is harder than I thought.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:19 PM

A good place to start might be the one that hasn't come out it years, or longer.
Maybe you don't have that problem.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:42 PM

The easiest thing to do is just get another safe.

Colin
Old 10-22-2021, 05:09 PM

It's tough , for sure!
II have been downsizing for several years now, it is not going too well, just bought another last week! LOL
Cat
Old 10-22-2021, 05:13 PM

I stood in my gun room and went down the rack , if I hadn't used a firearm in more than a year, it was off to Prophet River on consignment. I went from 44 to 16 firearms in a month.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I stood in my gun room and went down the rack , if I hadn't used a firearm in more than a year, it was off to Prophet River on consignment. I went from 44 to 16 firearms in a month.
I've always been curious how well consignment like that works? Did your items sell in a reasonable time? Did you get fair prices? Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
I've always been curious how well consignment like that works? Did your items sell in a reasonable time? Did you get fair prices? Any comments would be appreciated.
I took in about half at a time, and within a month they were all gone. I set the prices a little higher than if I was selling them myself, and most sold at the full asking price. Many people would rather deal with an established company and pay with a credit card, and I didn't have to deal with people wanting more pictures, or asking a pile of questions, and I didn't have to do any shipping. I used the credit to buy a couple of high end shotguns, some other supplies, and the rest in cash. You only pay a consignment fee on what you take in cash.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I took in about half at a time, and within a month they were all gone. I set the prices a little higher than if I was selling them myself, and most sold at the full asking price. Many people would rather deal with an established company and pay with a credit card, and I didn't have to deal with people wanting more pictures, or asking a pile of questions, and I didn't have to do any shipping. I used the credit to buy a couple of high end shotguns, some other supplies, and the rest in cash. You only pay a consignment fee on what you take in cash.
this is very intriguing. i have enough stuff to sell to have an auction, it is quite seriously on my mind. so tired of advertising or answering want to buy ads, (which usually mean want to steal). tons of pic collectors, and people who wouldn't know quality or value if it smashed them in the face.
thank god there are a few people still reasonable to deal with, but it sure is hard sorting through them all.
think i'll give clay a call.....

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:18 PM

I think this would be relative to each persons circumstance.

For me it wouldn't be so much as to which firearm gets more/less use. It would be the memories or sentimental values that each one holds.

I have an old stevens shotgun handed down from my grandfather that hasn't been used in years. Mainly due to me not being able to find parts for it. I would sell some of my custom 7K rifles in a heartbeat over that ol' shotty.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:40 AM

It's tough, I usually have sellers remorse soon after. I always think "man if I sell it the libs will probably ban it and I'll never be able to acquire another". Or the cost to replace it now is way more so why bother selling it. I always think about selling the first rifle I bought because I hardly use it but then I think about all the things I've shot with it and it goes back in the safe. I think a lot of my guns have more sentimental value than a cash value. One day I will inherit some of my dad's model 94 collection and I'll need to inherit one of his safes to store them in.

So I have two safes currently and they are FULL.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:55 AM

I start with, why did i buy it?
Then, when did i shoot it last?
Then, when can i plan for its next use?

A perfect mountain sheep rifle that was bought on sale but the actual hunt is too much on the calendar or the body, for instance, is ready to move on.
Phew! Good thing i do not have one of those…guess i get keep all of mine!
Old 10-25-2021, 08:11 PM

Procrastinate.........been doing it for years....
Old 10-25-2021, 08:31 PM

Default How does one decide?

There was a day when IncrediGirl looked at me and announced, “We need more guns.”

Me:
Old 10-25-2021, 09:33 PM

I’ve sold a lot over the last year. Some I’m regretting selling that are difficult to replace. As far as rifles I hunt with I’m down to a 300wm, 6.5PRC and 257 wby, 270 win and my 22-250.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I’ve sold a lot over the last year. Some I’m regretting selling that are difficult to replace. As far as rifles I hunt with I’m down to a 300wm, 6.5PRC and 257 wby, 270 win and my 22-250.
Of the 6.5PRC and 257 wby, and 270 win, is there much difference in what those three offer? Which one do you like most?
Old 10-26-2021, 07:31 AM

I made the decision of which guns to sell easy. I eliminated the decision. I don't sell guns. Ever.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:49 AM

For you guys that have an abundance of rifles, does any one have something that would be good for a young hunter, like a .243, 6.5 or the like. My son would like to get a rifle but my .300wsm is way too much for him, he's 13. Would like to find something that doesnt kick much and that he will enjoy shooting.

Cheers
Old 10-26-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Of the 6.5PRC and 257 wby, and 270 win, is there much difference in what those three offer? Which one do you like most?
I kept the 270 win for my wife to shoot. I’m not sure if I like the 6.5 PRC yet or not. Haven’t killed anything with it yet. I had a 270 wsm before that pushed a 145 eldx at 3247. Now the 6.5PRC pushes a 130 at just over 3100 so I really didn’t gain anything by selling the 270 wsm

My 257 wby is probably my favourite, they are unbelievably flat shooting. I’ve shot 3 deer with the 257 wby and it definitely hits with authority.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:48 PM

Default I know right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreyer View Post

For me it wouldn't be so much as to which firearm gets more/less use. It would be the memories or sentimental values that each one holds.

I have an old stevens shotgun handed down from my grandfather that hasn't been used in years. Mainly due to me not being able to find parts for it. I would sell some of my custom 7K rifles in a heartbeat over that ol' shotty.
I have a few of those, a few collectors, but most are purpose built (I had an itch). My uncles 410, my first 22, my first CFR...
If I pass my daughter has instructions to sell them all ...
So far - procastinate is leading the suggestion box ...
Old 10-27-2021, 04:28 PM

With two young boys at home the list of the never sell firearms is growing.

Only time i sell stuff now is cause I got the itch for something new and I feel more responsible if I sell a safe queen first
Old 10-28-2021, 09:22 AM

Default Safe queens are safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
With two young boys at home the list of the never sell firearms is growing.

Only time i sell stuff now is cause I got the itch for something new and I feel more responsible if I sell a safe queen first
I have used them all, each one has filled the freezer; but I do have three that might qualify. Krag Jorgenson, a Sako, and a 7x57 AI. Never have shot the Krag, the Sako is getting a rebuild, and the AI is just fun. Its a problem all right.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:16 AM

One thing that a lot of people overlook, is whether they prefer quantity, or quality. I reduced the quantity greatly but I used a good portion of the cash to purchase some higher end firearms. I much prefer having the money tied up in the firearms that I use the most, rather than in firearms that just sit around not being used.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
One thing that a lot of people overlook, is whether they prefer quantity, or quality. I reduced the quantity greatly but I used a good portion of the cash to purchase some higher end firearms. I much prefer having the money tied up in the firearms that I use the most, rather than in firearms that just sit around not being used.
This
Old 10-28-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreyer View Post

I'm the same as you.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:01 PM

A ouija board is what always works !
Old 10-28-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
There was a day when IncrediGirl looked at me and announced, “We need more guns.”

Me:
Sounds like a keeper
Old 10-28-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100winger View Post
After 50 years of booming around in the bush, 40 years collecting, buying/selling, handloading, the safe is full. How do you decide which rifle stays and which goes? Each one bought or built with purpose in mind. This is harder than I thought.
I'm in the same situation.
For me it depends on memories.
All family guns are staying.
Then comes what is the ones I've used more than others.

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 10-28-2021, 05:08 PM

Your conundrum is not unique.

In a way I'm lucky I have one of two daughters interested, so I've starting gifting stuff to her. In addition her two children are expressing an interest, so as I age and they have more time / inclination I hope I can give "stuff" to them.

The other daughter is not really interested nor is her husband and family.

So I have given some equipment / tools to folks who will use the stuff / tools / paraphernalia and not sell them. I would sooner give things to folks who use it / them and know game / fish harvesting and the outdoor experience may just continue for a few more years.

But it's hard to let go, the memories!
Old 11-03-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Sounds like a keeper

Oh she is…. She is!
Old 11-03-2021, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Procrastinate.........been doing it for years....
O.p has been doing the same thing..lol.. just 1 SAFE.. haha
Joks aside.
I've been trading off my collection for my useful things.
IE.. hunting cloths. $ = KUIU

More useful at the time than particular rifle or pistol..

Tuff times, but sure love the puffy pants.. DARN SALES