Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-22-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
Nice pick GP! I also picked up the Aqua Vu Micro Revolution 5 Pro and got it out on the ice once already. I am very impressed with the camera and not just for the amazing portability. I went out with Huyfishin for brook trout (see his latest video) and the visibility was almost but not quite 3 feet by my eye. With my Marcum VS485C I could see maybe 1 foot in the distance (it was pretty poor as you would expect) but with the Aqua Vu I could see 6ft or more. The picture on camera was way better than the naked eye.

Once I get more footage together I will definitely be making a comparison video and review. Stay tuned!
Good to hear. I'm also coming from a VS485C that I just gave to a friend for his new Koenders shack. I hope to get out with the Micro Revolution this weekend , and look forward to your review.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Good to hear. I'm also coming from a VS485C that I just gave to a friend for his new Koenders shack. I hope to get out with the Micro Revolution this weekend , and look forward to your review.
The camera was actually very impressive in poor water conditions. Line management was also very well thought out.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-22-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
The camera was actually very impressive in poor water conditions. Line management was also very well thought out.
I purchased it over the Marcum Pursuit for exactly that reason. Everyone raves about the Revolution spool, and I tend to agree.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:44 AM

I picked up the Strikemaster Allie suit for my wife to use while out on the ice this season. I really like my Surface suit and this one has the same type of design, just adjusted for ladies. Bibs zip off into pants if desired.

While my wife isn’t a hardcore ice angler, when she does come she often gets cold which makes it less enjoyable for her. This should help her stay warmer as well as the added safety benefit of a float suit.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-05-2021, 09:04 AM

this old fart was getting tired of dragging a 65 pound propane auger around the lake. Visited Cabelas for the first time last week and a 10 inch 40 volt strikemaster followed me home somehow cant wait to give it a go, what a difference in sound compared to my roaring propane motor! I hope a lot less noise attracted hammerhandles this winter and maybe a few more spooky big pike and walleyes in shallow water. got a big dump of snow yesterday hopefully it doesnt screw up the developing ice too much, a mans gotta fish!!!!!!!!!!!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-05-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
this old fart was getting tired of dragging a 65 pound propane auger around the lake. Visited Cabelas for the first time last week and a 10 inch 40 volt strikemaster followed me home somehow cant wait to give it a go, what a difference in sound compared to my roaring propane motor! I hope a lot less noise attracted hammerhandles this winter and maybe a few more spooky big pike and walleyes in shallow water. got a big dump of snow yesterday hopefully it doesnt screw up the developing ice too much, a mans gotta fish!!!!!!!!!!!
You are going to come to appreciate this purchase a whole lot. Congrats and good luck this season!
Old 12-05-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I picked up the Strikemaster Allie suit for my wife to use while out on the ice this season. I really like my Surface suit and this one has the same type of design, just adjusted for ladies. Bibs zip off into pants if desired.

While my wife isn’t a hardcore ice angler, when she does come she often gets cold which makes it less enjoyable for her. This should help her stay warmer as well as the added safety benefit of a float suit.

I've never worn a water proof suit like these. You have me thinking Sam. I just have those thick jeans and sometimes long johns. But, wet knees are not great to sit in for the day after kneeling on the ice...
Old 12-05-2021, 10:47 AM

Have just finished the new shanty for the hard water season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91AFE57E-5123-473C-975E-5D75441A86F4.jpg (26.0 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 717011C5-02A6-47B8-B77D-E7DD49BB0539.jpg (18.3 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 87D5F0B0-2A90-4B25-8DE4-88E63B680812.jpg (25.4 KB, 137 views)
Old 12-05-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post

Very nice.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I've never worn a water proof suit like these. You have me thinking Sam. I just have those thick jeans and sometimes long johns. But, wet knees are not great to sit in for the day after kneeling on the ice...

I use mine all the time, even for plowing the driveway or going for a snowmobile ride. Mine is the Strikemaster Surface, but there are lots of options out there.

SS

Old 12-05-2021, 03:09 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
now that's worth getting excited over.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-05-2021, 03:34 PM

It’s ready to go, just need some ice, 900 watt solar panel system is what’s new this year, sorry for the sideways pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 807703A8-E02F-4F7B-9F08-F45EC9BDD008.jpg (32.2 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 37921E5B-B852-4E6B-BB8E-1BAA6D541B72.jpg (21.8 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 52731D10-CC5F-477F-92B0-305B65DE74D2.jpg (26.7 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by Jims83cj5; 12-05-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
There will be nowhere for the big pike to hide now. You're going to be sold the first time out. Grats.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:

At least she comes out. I can't get mine to come out and read a book even. Could have something to do with getting sun poisoning (yes it's a thing) the last time she came out with me in the Eighties.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I rocked denim insulated coveralls with a blue cookie monster Helly Hansen suit underneath for years out on the ice. While it worked quite well, I was always soaked from the knees down by the end of the day and didn't dare kneel on the ice for too long. The float suits are so much more versatile and safer to be in. They're as easy to move in as a normal ski suit, you can use them for a variety of other off-ice tasks throughout the winter (I wear mine when using the snow blower at the lake), and if you catch them on sale (which seems to happen quite a bit now) they are even reasonably priced. There really isn't a good reason to not wear one nowadays...especially if you fish very early and/or very late in the season.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:05 AM

Have had 3 outings so far in my Eskimo Keeper insulated flotation suit. Little getting used to as noticed the additional “bulk” of the flotation built in but getting less noticeable as I wear it more.

Bought my setup from Ardisam off of Amazon. Saved $200 off the suit compared to local Edmonton store pricing. Shipping was quick as well, right around a week to small town Alberta.

Warm, waterproof and added piece of mind (flotation) has been nice.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:46 AM

Sorry for the immediate second posting, I was editing my previous post but exceeded the 30 minute window, doh!

New purchase I was editing in is a GoPro Hero 9. After reading the thread on taking “selfies” whilst fishing by oneself, I purchased the holiday bundle on sale which came with a second battery, case and a few other do-dads. Also ordered a few accessories for it off of Amazon. Hopefully make for some better fish pictures versus the phone. Do not worry though, I will not be posting a bunch of pictures of my ugly mug and fish on here.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:57 AM

The GoPro works much better than the phone. I probably should have went with the Hero 9 though as the 10 eats the battery like nobody's business.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
The GoPro works much better than the phone. I probably should have went with the Hero 9 though as the 10 eats the battery like nobody's business.
To be honest they all eat battery especially in the cold. Everytime I turn my gopro on and off I see the battery go down.

If possible I would power it via powerbank if you're just sitting still.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 12-06-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:

The standby for voice commands keeps it semi awake all the time, so it does use power even when “off”. The trade off is the voice commands are so nice to do hands free.

I forgot to mention that there is a feature called hindsight that is constantly recording 10 seconds and overwriting itself. When you tel it to start recording it tacks the video it’s been recording onto the start so you get a bit of video before you actually say “start recording”. Helpful for video where action surprised you and you may have missed a cool opportunity. This does also use battery faster though.

As Huy said, I use a small power pack with USB to extend battery life. When you do that though, the unit is no longer waterproof as the access hatch is open/removed. If you want waterproof I would suggest grabbing some extra batteries and a charging case.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:16 PM

Gotta tell ya, a couple of my ice fishing items proved their worth yesterday at the CFL West Final in Winnipeg. My Striker Hardwater bibs and Arctic Muck Boots were worth every single penny we paid with one of the coldest, nastiest windchills I've ever experienced. Very thankful we invested in 'em!
Old 12-06-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Gotta tell ya, a couple of my ice fishing items proved their worth yesterday at the CFL West Final in Winnipeg. My Striker Hardwater bibs and Arctic Muck Boots were worth every single penny we paid with one of the coldest, nastiest windchills I've ever experienced. Very thankful we invested in 'em!
That's for sure, was one of the most unreal games I've watched in a long time would have been cool to be in the stadium. never know what the weather's going to be like in Winter peg in December but guaranteed there's going to be some wind chill.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Did you see anyone else wearing similar gear? I used to see lots of people wearing ice fishing jackets in rural MN when I was down there in the winter.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
My buddy just bought a Koender's shack. It's in getting all wired up with TV's and stuff. I'm curious to see it when it's done. Yours looks great!
Old 12-06-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
It’s ready to go, just need some ice, 900 watt solar panel system is what’s new this year, sorry for the sideways pics
Looks good. Reminds me I saw someone with a Yetti ice house at Snipe the other day. A bit early methinks but he was all set up on shore living the life. I was going to ask him if the fish were biting, but I never saw him.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Did you see anyone else wearing similar gear? I used to see lots of people wearing ice fishing jackets in rural MN when I was down there in the winter.
Tons of ice fishing gear for sure! MB is home to FXR apparel and so many people snowmobile, fish or both.... So there was a ton of it.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
The standby for voice commands keeps it semi awake all the time, so it does use power even when “off”. The trade off is the voice commands are so nice to do hands free.
So if you turn it on and it has a five minute auto-shutdown set, a voice command will wake it up? Mine doesn't seem to like my voice. I have to tell it to take a photo a couple times. I'm slowly getting used to it.

Just brought the 100Ah battery home from the lake tonight so I'll probably just hard wide it when overnighting.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Tons of ice fishing gear for sure! MB is home to FXR apparel and so many people snowmobile, fish or both.... So there was a ton of it.
Ahhh. I didn't realize FXR originated in MB. Makes sense you'd see lots there. It's a little more fashionable than a Striker suit. lol.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
So if you turn it on and it has a five minute auto-shutdown set, a voice command will wake it up? Mine doesn't seem to like my voice. I have to tell it to take a photo a couple times. I'm slowly getting used to it.

Just brought the 100Ah battery home from the lake tonight so I'll probably just hard wide it when overnighting.

Yes, they will wake up with your voice command of “GoPro, turn on.” It took me a bit to remember the exact phrases for all the voice commands, and you have to enunciate really well. I leave the confirmation beeps on so I can tell when it turned on or executed the commands without having to muck with it.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Super looking rig. Top drawer. And I love the GSP too!