Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-01-2021, 11:24 AM

Default Outdoor shooting - Okotoks area

Hi, I'm new to the forum and relatively new to Canada.

I moved to Canada 3 years ago and live in Okotoks. I got my firearms license and hunting license as I want to get into hunting and I signed up to the hunter mentor program here which is great when you have zero history/knowledge of hunting.

My problem is 2 years ago I signed up to the waitlist of every gun range in my area that has a range with some distance so I could learn to shoot longer distances. But I'm still on those waitlists and the longest range I have access to is 25m at Calgary shooting centre...

I want to go hunting this season but I want to do some target shooting with my rifle up to say 300 m before I go.

Can anyone recommend a spot to shoot? I respect my environment and so I'll never leave any trash outside. I've read you can shoot on crown land but after a few trips and hikes out I'm struggling to find a spot that's suitable and away from campers/hikers.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Rick
Old 06-01-2021, 12:14 PM

Default Hi Rick

That’s a tough spot to be in, as you describe your situation. Here’s what I would do: There’s a quite a bit of farming in the Okotoks area. Take an afternoon and drive around to the various farms and approach the landowners with an offer to trade something with them. Might take more than one afternoon. Or an evening when they’re more likely to be home. Offer them a service of some kind, your imagination will be the limit here. Something that they might need. Or ask them if there is something that you could help them with - in exchange for: permission to shoot your rifle on an unused portion of their land somewhere. Just the offer might be enough for the right farmer to grant you permission.

Or ask your hunter mentor if he has any ideas/knows someone that could help you out.

Personally, Ive come to know a neighbour/farmer/friend of mine that has an abandoned oil well on his farm that has an approx 400 yard lease road going to it. Its all I want, like you I don’t shoot past 300 yds. I trap coyotes and beavers for him, he’s more than happy with the arrangement, cuz I don’t charge him for my services, and I don’t cost him anything in any way for my activity. And, like you, I don’t leave any trace at all that I’ve been there
Old 06-01-2021, 07:42 PM

Just drive to crown land and have a day, it’ll take up less time then banging on doors to ask a “farmer” if you can shoot on their land in an area that notoriously difficult to get permission in while there is a global pandemic of COVID-19 happening.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Just drive to crown land and have a day, it’ll take up less time then banging on doors to ask a “farmer” if you can shoot on their land in an area that notoriously difficult to get permission in while there is a global pandemic of COVID-19 happening.
As long as I have a backstop, not shooting across a road and have I'm a safe distance from roads I'm good on crown? I find it strange because there's so many hikers around.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
That’s a tough spot to be in, as you describe your situation. Here’s what I would do: There’s a quite a bit of farming in the Okotoks area. Take an afternoon and drive around to the various farms and approach the landowners with an offer to trade something with them. Might take more than one afternoon. Or an evening when they’re more likely to be home. Offer them a service of some kind, your imagination will be the limit here. Something that they might need. Or ask them if there is something that you could help them with - in exchange for: permission to shoot your rifle on an unused portion of their land somewhere. Just the offer might be enough for the right farmer to grant you permission.

Or ask your hunter mentor if he has any ideas/knows someone that could help you out.

Personally, Ive come to know a neighbour/farmer/friend of mine that has an abandoned oil well on his farm that has an approx 400 yard lease road going to it. Its all I want, like you I don’t shoot past 300 yds. I trap coyotes and beavers for him, he’s more than happy with the arrangement, cuz I don’t charge him for my services, and I don’t cost him anything in any way for my activity. And, like you, I don’t leave any trace at all that I’ve been there
Thanks man, good suggestion and I can give it a shot (excuse the pun) when I'm looking for permission to hunt too I guess. Beggars can't be choosers and I feel I'm a beggar right now..
Old 06-08-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyCA View Post
Thanks man, good suggestion and I can give it a shot (excuse the pun) when I'm looking for permission to hunt too I guess. Beggars can't be choosers and I feel I'm a beggar right now..
You’re welcome. Crown land shooting is a good idea too. It sounded like you’d like a different option. It won’t be easy to find legal access on private land in close proximity to where you live. I used to incorporate camping trips to the back country with finding places to shoot. But please, be very careful with backstops, hikers, roads, etc. There’s an awful lot of antis out there looking to point fingers and get us shooters in trouble, and our sport doesn’t need that kind of publicity.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyCA View Post
As long as I have a backstop, not shooting across a road and have I'm a safe distance from roads I'm good on crown? I find it strange because there's so many hikers around.
Just don't pull the trigger until you 200% sure there is nobody behind your target. Look at my avatar - I was one of those unlucky hikers on crown land.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
Just don't pull the trigger until you 200% sure there is nobody behind your target. Look at my avatar - I was one of those unlucky hikers on crown land.
This... hike around the area a lot before starting, lots of cut blocks have multiple trails crossing them.
I also wear the ear protectors that can amplify sounds and automatically cut off above a certain decibel. Helps you to hear if anyone comes up or dirtbikes come along.
Old 11-07-2021, 03:21 PM

Thank you for the tips guys, I couldn't find my thread and kind of gave up but thought I'd have another look; it's like my account isn't activated so lots of the site ends up with a 'you do not have permission' thing. I can't even view my own profile.
Old 11-07-2021, 05:57 PM

How far are you willing to travel?

-Billy Molls