Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2021, 10:39 AM

Default Wind on cold lake

Guys at what wind speed on Cold Lake would you call it quits ?
This weekend is supposed to have winds from 24 kmh to 29.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:48 AM

My first thought would be, what kind of boat are you floating in and what's your comfort level. I'll go 30-35kmph in my fishing kayak (not happily mind you). But obviously bigger boats and different shaped hulls are going to give you a different experience.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartly View Post
that about the limit I go out on cold in. Anything over 30 I dont go and while you can still fish, its not fun. That lake gets big rollers in not much wind. I have been out there a few times when she got western out lol.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:33 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
My first thought would be, what kind of boat are you floating in and what's your comfort level. I'll go 30-35kmph in my fishing kayak (not happily mind you). But obviously bigger boats and different shaped hulls are going to give you a different experience.
hmmmm you do that on this body of water ya might really regret it even if your on the leeward side as the wind can spin around and often does very quick around here...but you are right the size of the vessel determines limitations...had a 17 foot fish/ski boat and 30k winds was doable again depends were on the lake you are now with the 14 foot tinner 20-25 k winds top but same applies to your location....when she is gusting up to or over 50k well not even a consideration for me...big body of water has a lot of surface area and can get miserable quick...to the OP I prefer to get on the water first light if the forcast is windy as you can enjoy the early hours of calm unless she is bucking all night and into the morning...good luck!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-22-2021, 12:41 PM

Also if you get out earlier and make it to the island then you got shelter and can make the most of it but be prepared to come back in the evening when the winds die down IF they do...just a thought...and yup the bite is on up there too

Old 07-22-2021, 02:24 PM

Lot's of factors here - but of course, wind speed, size of boat, if you are sheltered or out in the open etc...

Generally speaking after 20km the whitecaps come out - at 30km it's rough even for bigger and deeper boats and no fun if you are away from shoreline shelter.

I've launched and fished my boat just off English bay (west side) and as long as I was closer to shore (within a couple hundred yards) I was OK. The winds were 35kms but blowing out of the west - so I was sheltered pretty good. I could feel (as I got further from shore) the chop building and could see the middle of the lake was crazy rollers.

Makes it really hard dealing with a swinging 12lb cannonball when it's pitching.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartly View Post
At 30 kms you will see 24" on the average with a few 36" waves out in the middle.

Wind direction and where you're launching from will play a bigger part on whether you can still fish easily.
I'm not a big fan of getting tossed around all day for a fish. But then I'm usually out for quite a few days at a time.
Cold lake can be mean, but Slave is worse with a west or east wind.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
At 30 kms you will see 24" on the average with a few 36" waves out in the middle.

Wind direction and where you're launching from will play a bigger part on whether you can still fish easily.
I'm not a big fan of getting tossed around all day for a fish. But then I'm usually out for quite a few days at a time.
Cold lake can be mean, but Slave is worse with a west or east wind.
I agree with this. Generally over 30km/hr I'm not going to venture out unless I can launch and get somewhere sheltered in a relatively short distance without beating up everything to bad!
Old 07-24-2021, 07:30 AM

Wind was in the 50k range yesterday and calm this morning.....gotta get out when ya can I say

Old 07-24-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Wind was in the 50k range yesterday and calm this morning.....gotta get out when ya can I say
We were at Cold this past week and was hoping to get out yesterday morning for one more go but she was pretty gusty for sure and even though we were on the west and could have made something work decided not to fight it. We had a few really good days fishing the very west and very east sides so left pretty satisfied anyway.

Nice thing about Cold is between English Bay, Cold river and launches in between usually there is somewhere to go that isn't to bad but when the winds are blowing that hard it makes it a bit tough as a small switch and it will get ugly fast.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:58 AM

The wind can get pretty strong, fast on the lake. I remember about 30 years ago. 2 guys were out in a small boat and the wind got bad. Both men were lost in the lake, bodies were never recovered.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
We were at Cold this past week and was hoping to get out yesterday morning for one more go but she was pretty gusty for sure and even though we were on the west and could have made something work decided not to fight it. We had a few really good days fishing the very west and very east sides so left pretty satisfied anyway.

Nice thing about Cold is between English Bay, Cold river and launches in between usually there is somewhere to go that isn't to bad but when the winds are blowing that hard it makes it a bit tough as a small switch and it will get ugly fast.
have you launched at the cold river lately? Its been years since I have. It was always an interesting launch, didnt have to back the trailer in very far and it falls off to the abyss lol. Was always interested cruising out from the river in to the lake to. We use to catch walleye and occasionally lakers right from shore there to back in the day.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:55 PM

When I lived in Bonneville in the late 80's when it was a crazy wind out of the west I would drive all the way to the east side of the lake to marvel at the power of nature. I'd watch the big waves crash for hours. Closest thing to the ocean I had back then. Not a lake to get caught on even in rough water or break down in such conditions.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
have you launched at the cold river lately? Its been years since I have. It was always an interesting launch, didnt have to back the trailer in very far and it falls off to the abyss lol. Was always interested cruising out from the river in to the lake to. We use to catch walleye and occasionally lakers right from shore there to back in the day.
I did launch there this past week but used the one without concrete pads that goes right into the lake other than the river launch. No issues but there are some big rocks to watch for on either side of the boat.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post

That's exactly right. Last time we were out and launched at English bay our group (2 boats) were the only ones in there - no a soul around the campsite or at the launch. Enjoyed the shelter and caught lots of fish over there.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:10 PM

I’ve seen photos of waves breaking up to the top of the marina wall so it can be like an Ocean on that lake.

Need to pay attention to the forecast for the day and keep an eye on the skies. Plenty of places to tuck in if need be to wait it out worse case scenario albeit if it were like last week and she blows for 4 days straight it could be a bit of a wait.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
That's exactly right. Last time we were out and launched at English bay our group (2 boats) were the only ones in there - no a soul around the campsite or at the launch. Enjoyed the shelter and caught lots of fish over there.
we launched at English bay in June due to hi west winds we were the only boat trailer in the parking lot . really quite under used launch . some nice structure on that part of the lake .
Old 07-28-2021, 06:42 PM

If the wind kicks up on the lake, are there any good places to shore fish on Cold lake or surrounding areas. Have plans to come up in the next few weeks and hoping the weather is good but if it is Im hoping to find a good shore spot?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk