Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-21-2021, 04:52 PM

Default Where’s the minnows (retail)

So I’ve been told it’s a supply issue, Cabelas, BPS, CT, all completely out. Thankfully I have over a half dozen ones from winter still in the freezer. Yet they get a bit dried out. I should vac seal them, I know.
Anyone know where I can get some? I’m near Calgary but I’m headed north in a week so hopefully this is a semi-local supply issue.
TIA
Old 07-21-2021, 06:10 PM

Must be short supply everywhere my buddies and Manitoba saying they're charging ten bucks a tub

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2021, 06:33 PM

I've only been up north twice this year but we had no trouble finding bait in Meadow Lake....I was a little worried after hearing all the stories but they had lots.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
So I’ve been told it’s a supply issue, Cabelas, BPS, CT, all completely out. Thankfully I have over a half dozen ones from winter still in the freezer. Yet they get a bit dried out. I should vac seal them, I know.
Anyone know where I can get some? I’m near Calgary but I’m headed north in a week so hopefully this is a semi-local supply issue.
TIA
Saw a post on here week before last that Parkers Minnows were in at Cabelas. Didn't get a chance to check Cabelas. Went to FishingHole, nothing....no tubs of anything. Went again last week and they had them in. Already half gone in 3 days. Got my 4 maximum of Parkers...all gone this week. So you really only have a 5-6 day window with each shipment.

Covid times rock hey!
Old 07-21-2021, 07:48 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Saw a post on here week before last that Parkers Minnows were in at Cabelas. Didn't get a chance to check Cabelas. Went to FishingHole, nothing....no tubs of anything. Went again last week and they had them in. Already half gone in 3 days. Got my 4 maximum of Parkers...all gone this week. So you really only have a 5-6 day window with each shipment.

Covid times rock hey!

Not around these neck of the woods

Lots of selections

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-21-2021, 08:27 PM

Got a couple tubs at north edmonton cabelas today, only 2 per customer.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:58 AM

Have any of you ever tried "preserved" minnows? Seems I can get them locally but not sure if they are any good. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:33 AM

Default Where’s the minnows

I’ve tried preserved minnows before, and they don’t work very well.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:42 PM

None in the Red Deer area. Been buying small smelts. They don't hold up very well but work
Old 07-22-2021, 02:00 PM

I was at Cabela's on currents Drive Edmonton this morning and no minnows, only small smelts.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I’ve tried preserved minnows before, and they don’t work very well.
For sure! I've tried with burbot in the winter as well and they all turned away from a preserved minnow. Kind of surprised me actually.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
TIA
Did you find some, I can help you out if your in a bind
Old 07-24-2021, 11:50 AM

Smoky lake has bait . $15.00 for anchovies Edmonton $6.50

where is it that you are going ?
Old 07-24-2021, 11:58 PM

Smokey lake you say. I can go there on my way. I’m going to Moose Lake (Bonnyville).

I grabbed a tub of gulp-alive. I’ve had decent success with them in minnow, leech and worm. The new more rectangular tub seems like a good improvement.

The worst thing about any shortage is people bulk buy whenever they can. I might have a lifetime supply of .22 rounds, lol.

I just bought a minnnow trap off Amazon, so hopefully I don’t have to make any redneck ones. Plus I have some saved. Thanks for the offer. I’ll see if I can grab some myself first.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:47 AM

I still got my supply of frozen tubs (4) and preserved (3) Emeralds. Got them at the Fishin' Hole soon as they came in. I have had pretty good luck so far with the preserved ones. Worse case scenario I would go to TNT market and grab a big bag of small smelts, really cheap price.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Smokey lake you say. I can go there on my way. I’m going to Moose Lake (Bonnyville).

I grabbed a tub of gulp-alive. I’ve had decent success with them in minnow, leech and worm. The new more rectangular tub seems like a good improvement.

The worst thing about any shortage is people bulk buy whenever they can. I might have a lifetime supply of .22 rounds, lol.

I just bought a minnnow trap off Amazon, so hopefully I don’t have to make any redneck ones. Plus I have some saved. Thanks for the offer. I’ll see if I can grab some myself first.
If you are going to moose try the sporting good store in Glendon ...Poachers corner You cold also phone them Also source sporting goods in Bonnyville
Old 07-25-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
If you are going to moose try the sporting good store in Glendon ...Poachers corner You cold also phone them Also source sporting goods in Bonnyville
I stopped at Source for Sports in Bonnyville on friday and they were out of minnows aside from small containers of mini sized you would use for perch. I was hoping to stock up as they had some really good ones earlier in the year. Was told that a local is out catching right now and they should be getting some soon though.