Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-11-2021, 09:42 PM

Default Fishing NE BC

Headed to FSJ next week. Will make a side trip to run the Murray to Kinuseo.
Plan to fish Dinosaur Lake, Peace River, maybe Williston.

Will be trying everything except flies, they require more talent than I possess.

Any great ideas, honey holes, things to avoid appreciated. TIA
Old 07-11-2021, 10:08 PM

Used to smash some pretty monster bulls out of the Halfway river when working out of Gary Hyers camp just past the Federal ranch. Great fishing all thru there.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:10 PM

What type of boat are you running? Do you have downriggers? Do you have a skookum bow mount that can hold your boat in strong current? Williston is far and away the prettiest IMHO. If you're making the trip to Kinuseo Falls, you might also like places like Hole in the Wall on Wiliston. There are big fish below both dams. Dinosaur can be like fishing a tournament when it's busy. Most locals I've talked to fish below the Peace Canyon Dam from shore. It holds equally large fish and isn't as busy as Dinosaur.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:36 PM

Running plenty of boat, and do have a Fraser River anchor. We're hoping to hit Dinosaur on the Friday, maybe the Peace on Sat, then the Murray on Monday. Not hung up on fishing the Murray, but want a wet boat before the run so I know she's ready.

They're building a big new bridge right where the Halfway hits the Peace, sure uglied up some pretty country! You use spinners or flys on the bulls ?

Thanks Guys!
Old 07-12-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Running plenty of boat, and do have a Fraser River anchor. We're hoping to hit Dinosaur on the Friday, maybe the Peace on Sat, then the Murray on Monday. Not hung up on fishing the Murray, but want a wet boat before the run so I know she's ready.

They're building a big new bridge right where the Halfway hits the Peace, sure uglied up some pretty country! You use spinners or flys on the bulls ?

Thanks Guys!
Strictly hardware for the bulls. Never did get into flicking flies
Old 07-12-2021, 09:00 PM

The Peace is closed around site C and I think from site C to the Canyon dam for access and fishing. No launch on the Halfway right now as it is closed at the Peace junction. With the high water, the launch at the Graham/Halfway might be underwater
Murray is fun, just watch as it can get busy, really busy. The falls are worth the trip

Dinasaur and Williston will need DR as they are deep right now. Can jig for them as well. Both dams are puking water right now, so Dino is high.

Have you thought about the Pine? Good fishing and a beautiful river to run. Launch at Taylor across the bridge, head up river and hang a left and enjoy!

Cheers

SS
Old 07-12-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
The Peace is closed around site C and I think from site C to the Canyon dam for access and fishing. No launch on the Halfway right now as it is closed at the Peace junction. With the high water, the launch at the Graham/Halfway might be underwater
Murray is fun, just watch as it can get busy, really busy. The falls are worth the trip

Dinasaur and Williston will need DR as they are deep right now. Can jig for them as well. Both dams are puking water right now, so Dino is high.

Have you thought about the Pine? Good fishing and a beautiful river to run. Launch at Taylor across the bridge, head up river and hang a left and enjoy!

Cheers

SS
Ahh I hadn't checked with my son, but he hears good things about the Pine also. He doesn't have a boat, but works with lots of guys who do. I have a DR so will bring it.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-12-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Strictly hardware for the bulls. Never did get into flicking flies
Man after my own heart. Mepps & Panther Martins I grew up on. lol

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Running plenty of boat, and do have a Fraser River anchor.
I don't think that Fraser River anchor will do you much good trying to anchor in the narrows at Dinosaur on a flat sheet of rock 30-80' down, which is why I asked if you had a bow mount you could spot lock with. The ability to fly through the "rapids" adjacent to Gething Creek when the Bennett is open isn't how I would define plenty of boat when it comes to catchng fish on Dinosaur. If you have the ability to mark fish in the narrows past the power lines and sit on them to drop something in front of their noses in the current, you're gonna catch some big fish in Dinosaur.

If you go for a serious run up Williston, watch for the rock spires at the entrance to the Clearwater. Normally they'd be underwater by now, but I always give them a wide berth regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce
Dinasaur and Williston will need DR as they are deep right now. Can jig for them as well.
The weekend before last (right after all the temperature records were set in the area) Dinosaur was still sitting at 45*F, and we caught multiple 10lb+ lakers without down riggers. I don't recall marking a fish deeper than 50' or so. I haven't fished Williston this year even though I still have my yacht club membership, but I would be using the Cannons there for sure. Be alert for trees on Williston in particular. It's a forest down there in places. On Dinosaur it seems to be more the solitary tree that will get you from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1
You use spinners or flys on the bulls ?
Crankbaits. I don't fish for anything interested in a Mepps or Panther Martin in those lakes.

Good luck.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Man after my own heart. Mepps & Panther Martins I grew up on. lol

Thanks!
Those will get you trout, grayling and smaller bulls but you want bigger for bulls. White tube jigs/swimbaits, heavy spoons like kitimats, big mepps spinners or blue fox to give you an idea for gear

I fished the Pine/Sukunka mostly in that area
Old 07-14-2021, 05:54 PM

Thanks guys!!!!
Old 07-15-2021, 11:54 AM

Ever try little cleo lures before?

The lake trout were hitting it quite consistently while trolling by hand from the fishing kayak the other week at rock lake.
Was using one with the nickel/neon blue pattern.

Good luck on your trip!
Old 07-16-2021, 09:24 AM

From FJS you are only 12 hours to Rupert.

Get ahold of Travis (forum member) at PRRV and book a day, get some great fishing in with the best guide out there.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-16-2021, 01:22 PM

You can catch 20lb+ lakers and bulls all day in Williston & Dinosaur. Not sure why you'd want to sit in a car for 24 hours. To each their own.
Old 07-16-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
You can catch 20lb+ lakers and bulls all day in Williston & Dinosaur. Not sure why you'd want to sit in a car for 24 hours. To each their own.
Lol

48 hours for some of us round trip.

Guess you have never fished saltwater and filled a cooler?

Single daily possession limit on the coast is 4 salmon, 3 ling, 2 halibut under 90 cm or 1 to 133cm, plus crabs, prawns, rock cod, Pacific cod, perch, etc

Edit - you raise a good point.
Before I fished BC coast I was perfectly content fishing sloughs and little lakes for slimy little fish for 40 years. 1 43 lb salmon on the first trip ruined it all for me. Then a 75lb halibut, and kept them both plus a hundred or more pounds of meat, in 2 trips.

If you haven't and are happy slough fishing, don't fish salt.

(Cold lake is a slough when compared to ocean fishing)

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 07-16-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Lol

48 hours for some of us round trip.

Guess you have never fished saltwater and filled a cooler?

Edit - you raise a good point.

Before I fished BC coast I was perfectly content fishing sloughs and little lakes for slimy little fish for 40 years. 1 43 lb salmon on the first trip ruined it all for me. Then a 75lb halibut, and kept them both plus a hundred or more pounds of meat, in 2 trips.

If you haven't and are happy slough fishing, don't fish salt.

(Cold lake is a slough when compared to ocean fishing)
Fish for most fish in central Canada Northern Canada lots and lots of big Pike in Lakers walleye but I'm still hoping to get to the coast hopefully this year never been salmon fishing but I'm pretty sure once I do it I will want to keep going back.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Fish for most fish in central Canada Northern Canada lots and lots of big Pike in Lakers walleye but I'm still hoping to get to the coast hopefully this year never been salmon fishing but I'm pretty sure once I do it I will want to keep going back.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
IF you have good luck with a good charter, and good weather on a nice boat I guarantee you will want to go back. It is life changing

Old 07-16-2021, 04:26 PM

I've fished on the coast plenty, including the "meat run" as we call it in Ukie when we want to fill the freezer. It's great...I get it. But it's 24 solid hours of driving to Rupert and back from FSJ when you could be fishing on Williston or Dinosaur. I guess if all you can catch out of freshwater is slimy little fish then yeah you better head to the ocean. Most people I know would be ecstatic to hook into a 30lb laker.

So yeah...ocean fishing? BTDT...Do I want to pull my boat 24 hours round trip to do it? Not a chance when these are an hour from FSJ. These aren't my biggest fish. They are literally the last fish I caught in Williston and Dinosaur respectively. Enjoy your drive.

Old 07-16-2021, 04:56 PM

The same fish are in Cold Lake too, and only 2 hours away but I just don't care at all after salt.

I am not a C&R guy, I never go to an area just to throw fish back all day long.

My intent is on filling the freezer a couple times a year but as you say each to his own.

It is nice for you to have a resource close to you that you enjoy. I don't.

Old 07-16-2021, 06:02 PM

You bet. Different strokes for different folks. The ocean is a whole different ball game, and if you enjoy it 100X more than any inland lake then that's where you should be. Those who live on the coast and enjoy fishing are truly blessed.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:38 PM

Wow nice fish, looks like a great place to fish. Got to use downriggers I guess? Been around FSJ a lot in the 80"s but never West. Looks nice out there.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I've fished on the coast plenty, including the "meat run" as we call it in Ukie when we want to fill the freezer. It's great...I get it. But it's 24 solid hours of driving to Rupert and back from FSJ when you could be fishing on Williston or Dinosaur. I guess if all you can catch out of freshwater is slimy little fish then yeah you better head to the ocean. Most people I know would be ecstatic to hook into a 30lb laker.

So yeah...ocean fishing? BTDT...Do I want to pull my boat 24 hours round trip to do it? Not a chance when these are an hour from FSJ. These aren't my biggest fish. They are literally the last fish I caught in Williston and Dinosaur respectively. Enjoy your drive.

Good post! And nice fish

Ken has it all figured out. Just not sure why he hasn't moved to the coast.
Ken?
Old 07-16-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Good post! And nice fish

Ken has it all figured out. Just not sure why he hasn't moved to the coast.
Ken?
I don't have it all figured out.
I just enjoy fishing with my friends when the opportunity is there.
I like my home, and our family is here.
My business and clients are here.
Moving 24 hours further away from them is not in the cards.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Wow nice fish, looks like a great place to fish. Got to use downriggers I guess? Been around FSJ a lot in the 80"s but never West. Looks nice out there.
I usually fish Williston right after ice off through June. You don't need downriggers at that point. That top fish from Williston was caught precision trolling crankbaits down to 20' or so off planer boards.

Dinosaur Lake is an odd duck since it's fed from Williston Lake through the Bennett Dam, and the dam's intake I believe is quite deep. So it stays cool all Summer and doesn't freeze in the winter. That bottom laker was caught in one of the many pools in the narrows in Dinosaur lake where the fish are fed a smorgasbord of chum from the tailrace of the dam daily. It's a very unique fishery, although it can be very busy at times since it's relatively small and people tend to fish in only a few areas.

And yes, it truly is God's country. There are a lot of inland waters in B.C. that are every bit as majestic as the coast IMO. This is Williston between the dam and the Rockies.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:00 PM

Thanks all. Fished Dinosaur just a few hours, four adults & two littles 5 & 3. Good time had by all, caught a smallish laker.

Dinosaur absolutely gorgeous, the water out of Williston wasn't too high. They were doing some repairs to the spillway, that was interesting.

Ran the Murray on Monday morn, it's certainly a bit more technical than some would have you believe. Only had the boat stuck once, and only about 10 minutes. Not much traffic thankfully, those arrow channels be tough passing other boats. Did have a blast watching the grayling chase our hooks right to the boat. C & R some of them.

Kinuseo just an awesome place!!