Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2021, 09:45 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Cookin Albacore

Got ahold of a couple of them funny little albacores. They were froze whole so had hoots slice them up on bandsaw. Thick steaks.

Tried cooking med rare but too thick center stayed cold, cooked some more and suddenly tuna was fully kilt.

Another time, thawed some steaks, deboned, then split steak in half, thinned. Tried coking on hot bbq fast, secnd side 30 seconds…. Kilt

Anybody wanna give me some pointers? How thick, cook how long, etc. Fry? Bbq?
Old 07-04-2021, 10:58 AM

1 inch

Make sure thawed

Season

Olive oil

Sear on all sides no more than 20-30s all sides.

Almost raw in middle

Om Nom!!!!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-04-2021, 11:41 AM

Iron Noggin would be the Albacore cooking King! He has some pics posted on the What's for Supper thread in the General Discussion.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:43 AM

The key to tuna searing (from frozen) is exactly what Bessie said - make sure it's well thawed. In fact, thaw it in the fridge for 24 hours, once it's completely thawed, oil it up with good quality olive oil, season it up with your spice of choosing, and set it out on the counter for 20-30 minutes before the sear ..... either bbq or a pan is fine.

Grill or Pan must smoking HOT ....

I go a a few minutes on each side so the outside is nicely caramelized, flip only once - and I cook mine (when it's been frozen) medium in the middle.

If's it's fresh (not frozen) it's medium rare.

I often use Montreal Steak Seasoning - works really nice.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Got ahold of a couple of them funny little albacores. They were froze whole so had hoots slice them up on bandsaw. Thick steaks.

Tried cooking med rare but too thick center stayed cold, cooked some more and suddenly tuna was fully kilt.

Another time, thawed some steaks, deboned, then split steak in half, thinned. Tried coking on hot bbq fast, secnd side 30 seconds…. Kilt

Anybody wanna give me some pointers? How thick, cook how long, etc. Fry? Bbq?
Best seared on the outside and raw on the inside.

Then have two dips

1. wasabi and soya sauce
2. Korean Kalbi marinade.

Yum.

Never over cook tuna.

Can also eat some sashimi

Can also make some rolls with sushi rice and spicy mayo.
Yummy yum yum.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-04-2021, 05:33 PM

I just thaw and eat it with a dash of good soy sauce. Actually, Albacore sashimi is on the menu for tomorrow. Melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness! Can hardly wait!
Old 07-05-2021, 09:24 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

Sear on all sides no more than 20-30s all sides.

Almost raw in middle

Om Nom!!!!
Sear all sides? So stand the loin on the edges too?
Old 07-05-2021, 09:39 AM

Yup

Your basically trying to ‘crustify-carmalize’ the exterior… whilst keeping the insides yummy-rare-raw.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-05-2021, 10:37 PM

Yep, what bessie said throughout.

If you don't like the raw center then still do the sear but then continue on each side for another minute or two - depending on thickness. Albacore is so fat that it stays nice and moist. Try a couple and you will get the feel for it. Over-cooked is not good for sure though.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:09 AM
AO Sponsor

I had med rare tuna at the White Spot once, delicious, certain it was albacore, funny, was at the end of a trapper fishing trip, while we waited for our plane. Also had med rare stuff at NAFA - the fur auction house in Toronto, it was quite the feast daily with the tuna a couple times. The highlight tho was the all you can eat lobster bash the second last year of their existence. The Chinese and Koreans were packing them in their briefcases for a midnight snack, then lucky for us, leftovers for days! Never ate so much lobster in my life.

I miss NAFA!

So the Albacore seems very pale to get the pretty red center on a med rare h th una steak like i recall seeing, is that gonna happen or is that just other varieties?

I will pull some out soon, and report back to y’all
Old 07-08-2021, 11:00 AM
AO Sponsor

YUMMY!!!

I give it 20 seconds each side and seems like I even cooked it more than need be, Will try the single flip next time

Favourite spicing combinations??? Anybody??? Please???

Tried the Montreal Steak Spice on halibut after young guides recommendation, but didnt do it for me!
Old 07-08-2021, 11:04 AM

Couple years back we did a trip along the Oregon coast. We bought a beautiful tuna right off the dock, and the steaks were just amazing.

We had leftovers and turned it into kind of a crab cake recipe, can't remember how my buddy made them, but my mouth is watering just thinking about them again.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
YUMMY!!!

I give it 20 seconds each side and seems like I even cooked it more than need be, Will try the single flip next time

Favourite spicing combinations??? Anybody??? Please???

Tried the Montreal Steak Spice on halibut after young guides recommendation, but didnt do it for me!
Just a lemon pepper is all I typically use.

For Halibut, no more Bbq for this guy. Skin off, coat with blackened season on both sides. Sear on both sides in half butter half oil. Finish in oven if the piece is thick enough to warrant it. Maintains a lot of moisture, just don't overcook.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:12 PM

I like tuna many different ways but these are two of my favourites. I use yellowfin and longtails (northern bluefin) that I’ve caught myself, never cooked or eaten a albacore but from what I’ve read they’re edible.

This soup is a family fav

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mar...resh-tuna-stew

I don’t cook it exactly like suggested. I forgo the wine, I add a sweet chilli sauce to the soup after its simmering and I add a doz or two fresh mussels steamed in white wine. When I fry my yellowfin it’s sliced about 1-1.5” thick and marinaded in sweet chilli sauce, seasoning salt and some garlic powder for an hour or two before being seared in a smoking hot frying pan with some olive oil in it.

I’m eating some as I type.

This meal I cook pretty much like the recipe lays out.

https://www.healthyfood.com/healthy-...n-flavourings/

Again marinade the tuna and fry in a hot pan then drop it on top as your sitting down to eat.

I’ll eat them as sashimi and very pink in the middle fresh but once I’ve frozen them I cook them nearly through with just a little pink left. IMO they’re better served as shown after I’ve frozen it. The first couple of days after I catch one I like them marinaded, rolled in sesame seeds and fried with the centre still raw.

Tuna isn’t the best eating fish in the ocean but bloody close and I’m always happy to sink a gaff into one.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 07-08-2021 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:59 PM
AO Sponsor

Mine were froze. Guy had them froze whole/non-gutted then I had hoot friend slice them into thick steaks. I did 15-20 seconds each side and found that too much, less turning next time.

Halibut-BBQ,once did halis in BBQ rolled in parchment paper so steam could exit, cooked perfect to 125 degrees and retained moisture due to parchment, Xtremely good/fine, otherwise BBQ KILLs HALI.

Love salmon over the open flame, HATE SALMON ROLLED IN TINFOIL!!! but that;s me, like broiled, not steamed.

So I guess Im not gonna give all that tuna away to my newly aquired Phillipino friends!!!

(I got some summer walleye for them instead! I got the hot wally and they gots the ginger!!!)
Old 07-28-2021, 03:53 PM

I tried a new coating yesterday with some fresh yellowfin and it was exceptional. You might want to give this a try, the spices you choose, the game changer was the brown sugar.

They suggested marinading in soy sauce. I marinaded in a mix of soy sauce, tai sweet chilli sauce and honey then dipped and fried.