Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-04-2019, 03:14 PM

Default Scope for air rifle

I have a Diana Model 48 .177 air riflle with a Bushnell 4 X 15 scope ( not shown)

The grouping I get with this setup is inconsistent. I fact there is little grouping and I suspect the scope is the cause . Would any one recommend a better scope for an air rifle?

Last edited by colvert; 06-04-2019 at 03:16 PM. Reason: comments added
Old 06-04-2019, 04:00 PM

Is the scope designed for airguns? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need a specific scope for most airguns due to the way they recoil.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:49 PM

Default that and

Are you using an artillery hold while firing allowing the gun to recoil freely with minimal physical guidance? Pellet weight should err on the heavy side in powerful airguns.JSB etc in the 10gr range in .177
Old 06-04-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Is the scope designed for airguns? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need a specific scope for most airguns due to the way they recoil.
You sir are correct, airgun rated scopes are built to withstand the reverse recoil.

Buy a Hawke AirMax, check out D&L airguns or Airgun Source. Also you’re probably going to have to run a tin of pellets through it before scoping it, the magnum springers make this a requirement to settle the spring otherwise you’ll destroy the scope (even airgun rated ones)
Old 06-04-2019, 04:53 PM

Also pick up a good one piece mount or rings with stop pins
Old 06-04-2019, 07:51 PM

Default Diana's weak scope base

This is a flaw still being built into all Diana /RWS springers.This one is solid.
https://dlairgun.com/collections/lea...pensator-mount
Old 06-05-2019, 08:12 AM

I thought most all of the newer bushnells are springer rated.

I have a Weaver classic rimfire in 4x on my D34, love it. I have heard good things about the Hawke scopes for the money too.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan_357 View Post
You sir are correct, airgun rated scopes are built to withstand the reverse recoil.

Buy a Hawke AirMax, check out D&L airguns or Airgun Source. Also you’re probably going to have to run a tin of pellets through it before scoping it, the magnum springers make this a requirement to settle the spring otherwise you’ll destroy the scope (even airgun rated ones)
Yes, D&L has the best price on Hawke in Canada. I've a couple of them and they have last 10 years now on magnum springers with no issue.
https://us.hawkeoptics.com/airmax-riflescopes.html
Old 06-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvert View Post
I have a Diana Model 48 .177 air riflle with a Bushnell 4 X 15 scope ( not shown)

The grouping I get with this setup is inconsistent. I fact there is little grouping and I suspect the scope is the cause . Would any one recommend a better scope for an air rifle?
Are your groups consistent with irons, or does this particular rifle not have irons?
Old 06-05-2019, 12:48 PM

Thanks all and sorry all for my late reply...
The irons sights are pretty good and can be adjusted. I get 1/2" group at 10m which is good enough for me to hit magpies and sparrows. But I would prefer using a crosshair to hit my target.
As some of you mentioned, I think the cheap 4x 15mm Bushnell scope I am using cannot handle the forward impact of the piston on the barrel. So my thinking of using a better 4X 32mm scope designed for a .22 caliber may give me a better view but still the same problem. Another thing is with the 1" tube of the 4X 32, I would have to find mounts that fits the 10mm dovetail. So my next question is can you find 1" mounts that fit a 10mm dovetail? thanks
Old 06-05-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvert View Post
Thanks all and sorry all for my late reply...
The irons sights are pretty good and can be adjusted. I get 1/2" group at 10m which is good enough for me to hit magpies and sparrows. But I would prefer using a crosshair to hit my target.
As some of you mentioned, I think the cheap 4x 15mm Bushnell scope I am using cannot handle the forward impact of the piston on the barrel. So my thinking of using a better 4X 32mm scope designed for a .22 caliber may give me a better view but still the same problem. Another thing is with the 1" tube of the 4X 32, I would have to find mounts that fits the 10mm dovetail. So my next question is can you find 1" mounts that fit a 10mm dovetail? thanks
Yes you can find the proper mounts, try D&L or airgun source.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:21 PM

Default scope

Many guys use compact scopes on these as the larger the scope the better chance of it shearing the base.Hawke is a decent brand I have a 6X fixed on my 34/.22 Wish they still made it as I 'd put another on my HW80K/.22
Old 06-05-2019, 01:30 PM

Springers can be a pain in the a** to get good groups with, I think they're the hardest air rifle to try and achieve it with in fact. The wrong hold throws everything.

To the question~agreed, the issue with spring piston guns is the forward "recoil" of that big piston slamming forward. Scopes for firearms are built for recoil in the opposite direction, so even an expensive one not meant for air guns can come apart quickly. HAWKE (D&L in BC) are reputed to be among the best for the price, but they can have pretty busy-looking reticles. (the ones I've used anyway) I might add, the gun you have is an especially powerful springer...so even more deserving of the correct scope.

If you're ordering from D&L, tell them what gun you have...and ask about rings/mounts. I've gotten mine from them (BKL) several times. Another thing, air guns are like 22s, they're VERY ammo sensitive. Try a variety of pellet types/weights. They'll all kill pests, might as well put the pellet where you want it.

My Diana 24 (.22) shoots RWS Hobby pellets well, and they're simply a wadcutter. I actually think the flat face of them is especially effective in smashing up barn pigeons. Bottom line~they shot best/that's what I use. You sure don't need pointed/dome/hps for small critters like these.